K&N Typhoon Intake System on CX-5?

Yup, the shield design seems to be an improvement over the K&N's basic heat shield. And yes it also makes use of the factory air inlet.

I was curious as to whether or not this filter fit on the 2014 CX-5, so I just sent an email to AEM asking whether or not the AEM 21-779C Cold Air Intake design fits for the 2014 CX-5; this was their response:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in AEM products. We currently cannot confirm if or when we are planning on manufacturing an intake system for your 2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5L . Please click on the link below to view the Product Request Form. We will use your feedback to help us decide which products to manufacture next. If we release a new product for your vehicle we will send you an e-mail notification.

http://www.aemintakes.com/register/products_needed.aspx

Please be advised these products are application specific and we cannot recommend a product that is not listed for your specific application as it has not been tested to fit and perform that way. This is not to say that it will not work but simply that we cannot guarantee or warranty the product if you choose to install it on a vehicle it is not listed for.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. We are available by both email and phone at (800) 992-3000.

AEM Inductions
sales@aemintakes.com
http://www.aemintakes.com
Phone: (800) 992-3000

When replying please include this entire e-mail as your reply will be sent to a general inbox

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:59:37 AM
To: sales@aemintakes.com
Subject: AEM 21-779C Cold Air Intake for Mazda CX-5- Fits 2014 CX-5?
Hello,

I'm interested in this product which is advertised for the 2015 and 2016 MAZDA CX-5 2.5L L4 F/I - All Engines.

I wanted to find out whether this AEM 21-779C Cold Air Intake would also fit on a 2014 MAZDA CX-5 2.5L L4 F/I as well?

Thanks,

-Tim

I went ahead and put in a product request for the 2014 CX-5. If I hear anything back I'll share it with the group

I was curious as to whether or not this filter fit on the 2014 CX-5, so I just sent an email to AEM asking whether or not the AEM 21-779C Cold Air Intake design fits for the 2014 CX-5; this was their response:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in AEM products. We currently cannot confirm if or when we are planning on manufacturing an intake system for your 2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5L . Please click on the link below to view the Product Request Form. We will use your feedback to help us decide which products to manufacture next. If we release a new product for your vehicle we will send you an e-mail notification.

http://www.aemintakes.com/register/products_needed.aspx

Please be advised these products are application specific and we cannot recommend a product that is not listed for your specific application as it has not been tested to fit and perform that way. This is not to say that it will not work but simply that we cannot guarantee or warranty the product if you choose to install it on a vehicle it is not listed for.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. We are available by both email and phone at (800) 992-3000.

AEM Inductions
sales@aemintakes.com
http://www.aemintakes.com
Phone: (800) 992-3000

When replying please include this entire e-mail as your reply will be sent to a general inbox

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:59:37 AM
To: sales@aemintakes.com
Subject: AEM 21-779C Cold Air Intake for Mazda CX-5- Fits 2014 CX-5?
Hello,

I'm interested in this product which is advertised for the 2015 and 2016 MAZDA CX-5 2.5L L4 F/I - All Engines.

I wanted to find out whether this AEM 21-779C Cold Air Intake would also fit on a 2014 MAZDA CX-5 2.5L L4 F/I as well?

Thanks,

-Tim

I went ahead and put in a product request for the 2014 CX-5. If I hear anything back I'll share it with the group
Ah it is unfortunate that they didn't test it with a 2014 model. If I'm not mistaken, they already had this intake tested on a 2016 Mazda6, then somehow it become compatible with a 2016 CX-5. I think if you really want to go SRI, your best option is to go with Corksport or JBR. Their intakes won't come with a heatshield though, but they should be fully compatible with a 2014 CX-5.

Edit: I still have this intake in my to-do list, but only when I get our CX-5 to 32k miles. Currently, it's still only at 19k miles. The car is gaining miles slowly and it doesn't help that my wife decided to be a stay at home mom.

Interesting... I had both AEM, and Sure Motorsports SRI on my 07 Mazda6 2.3 and saw a big increase in the low end from it... Wondering what makes the 2.3 and the 2.5 that drastically different?

Interesting... I had both AEM, and Sure Motorsports SRI on my 07 Mazda6 2.3 and saw a big increase in the low end from it... Wondering what makes the 2.3 and the 2.5 that drastically different?
The 2.5 SkyActiv engine Mazda uses with their current lineup is a totally different engine from the old MZR engines.

All this playing with air filters is something I've never really understood. I can understand it for competitions but all it does is make the car sound like an old van and it might make a second difference to 60 if you cane the ass of the vehicle and a second extra in placebo effect. It only makes a difference if you do the 100s of extra mods that are needed for racing and at the same time undoes all the work the manufacturer has done to silence air induction. You can save money by not changing air filters? Yes, it will take about 30 years to get your money back on the noise making kit.

All this playing with air filters is something I've never really understood. I can understand it for competitions but all it does is make the car sound like an old van and it might make a second difference to 60 if you cane the ass of the vehicle and a second extra in placebo effect. It only makes a difference if you do the 100s of extra mods that are needed for racing and at the same time undoes all the work the manufacturer has done to silence air induction. You can save money by not changing air filters? Yes, it will take about 30 years to get your money back on the noise making kit.
You don't need to be in a race or competition to have the urge to want to tinker with your car. Some people just like modding in general, some people don't. Some people mod their cars with the knowledge that their cars aren't going to turn into race cars anytime soon. It is a hobby and just like any other hobbies, it will cost money and you're not going to get that money back. And just like other hobbies, other people will not understand why that certain hobby is fun for the person involved. For example, I don't get why people like to spend hours under the sun fishing. However who am I to tell them fishing is not fun, for all I know they are having the time of their life doing so.

I for one like the sound of a car with a short ram intake or cold air intake system installed. It gives it more growl, makes it feel more alive, gives it more personality. No it doesn't turn it into a racecar, but no one, not even the modder expected that to be result of installing the SRI or CAI. I wouldn't install a SRI or CAI on a Chrsyler Pacifica, but I wouldn't mind installing one on a CX-5.

I wouldn't bother. If you want noise, bore holes in the Stock airbox, in front of the filter. I have used K&N filters for years. They are less restrictive, but few modern engines can use the extra flow capacity; the intake manifold and ports will be the next restriction. Optimization for the OEM condition, ya know. Thirty years ago installing a K&N helped some cars. It was obvious in my T-bird Turbo. But that is too easy for a car engineer to duplicate, for free. You really think they leave free HP on the table in an engine that produces 74 HP/liter?

K&N filters have had online reports of not filtering as well as paper, so you get more cylinder wear. I did not find the Triumph pics I saw a few years back.

My stock Miata increased from 138.8 HP to 145.9 HP over the course of about 6 pulls on a Mustang Dyno, usually considered a conservative dyno. Now you know how an intake can show a 6 HP gain. The day was about 45F, in January, so I suppose the increase is due to the powertrain warming up.

Later on, a tune *and* muffler netted 2.6 HP, same day, same dyno. But, my car started out stock with the RWHP of the common Miata *after* tune and muffler. No tuner would use my car to sell his products.

Last edited:
I was comparing other cold air options which would've gotten air behind the fog lamps. There's no moving external air there and its closer to water. Its filter would've been as high as your upper wheel lugs. The CS air box provides the better/safer cold air option because it uses the stock air inlet up high above the grille to obtain external airflow. Any SRI even with FULL airbox getting air from inside the engine bay will intake hotter air than the stock Mazda unit. The problem isn't restriction the problem is you're taking in hotter air. Don't be surprised if you get better sound but with less torque.

I ultimately stuck with AEM's dry flow (drop in) filter for both Mazdas. It gets its air externally via the stock air inlet near the front grille. I inspect and clean it every 6 months or so due to my desert conditions. This AEM filter material is very popular for off roaders racing or having fun in the desert. No oil to use unlike the K&N's to mess up your MAF. No noticeable loss in TQ or HP unlike reported by many SRI' consumers. Some people even switched back to stock Mazda intake after seeing there before/after dyno runs. With the AEM drop in filter I notice the engine revs easier. Cheap route as well.

If you do want a SRI system cheaper check on Ebay or local craigslist. You may get lucky and find a a used one cheap.

I put the AEM filter in my 2017 and it performs almost exactly like you said. There's a slight dip in overall mpg so far, bit i haven't seen it it improves on highway usage. Slightly more reactive throttle and responsiveness. Easy install with low cost and worth while performance.

I put the AEM filter in my 2017 and it performs almost exactly like you said. There's a slight dip in overall mpg so far, bit i haven't seen it it improves on highway usage. Slightly more reactive throttle and responsiveness. Easy install with low cost and worth while performance.

Take care that if any engine damage occurs under warranty, related or not, they can kick it out.

Ah it is unfortunate that they didn't test it with a 2014 model. If I'm not mistaken, they already had this intake tested on a 2016 Mazda6, then somehow it become compatible with a 2016 CX-5. I think if you really want to go SRI, your best option is to go with Corksport or JBR. Their intakes won't come with a heatshield though, but they should be fully compatible with a 2014 CX-5.

Edit: I still have this intake in my to-do list, but only when I get our CX-5 to 32k miles. Currently, it's still only at 19k miles. The car is gaining miles slowly and it doesn't help that my wife decided to be a stay at home mom.

Just found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThB6x0Ogljo&t=7s

Looks like I'll be getting the intake for my 14 :D

Back