Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Absolutely not. Save yourself.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

courtneyc

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hi all,

I am thinking about purchasing the Navigation SD card to install on my 2015 CX-5 Touring but before spending almost $400 I want to see if the money is actually worth it or not. I have looked online but cant find any reviews on the Navigation specifically. Please let me know if I should make the purchase or just go with a Garmin unit.

Many have a love/hate relationship with the CX-5s nav. Most of the time we find it "adequate", in that it will get us to our intended destination, but could it be better? Hell yes! I long for the excellent system in our departed Honda Ridgeline!

All that said, you don't need to purchase nav from your dealer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) has them for less.

If it is worth having a larger screen and the driver speaker music muted and directions announced on the car speaker and not having a Garmin on dash to deal with for security, then yes, if not no.

Many have a love/hate relationship with the CX-5s nav. Most of the time we find it "adequate", in that it will get us to our intended destination, but could it be better? Hell yes! I long for the excellent system in our departed Honda Ridgeline!

All that said, you don't need to purchase nav from your dealer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) has them for less.

Thanks for the input. I don't really use nav all that much. Maybe once a month. The nav in the new Fords is awesome. My mom just went from a leased Escape to a leased Edge and the systems in them are in my opinion one of the best.

If it is worth having a larger screen and the driver speaker music muted and directions announced on the car speaker and not having a Garmin on dash to deal with for security, then yes, if not no.

Very true. Something else to think about.

Totally worth it IMO. Although you can prob bargain for a bit cheaper.

The 2016 GTI I traded in didn't have the standard nav but had Apple CarPlay, and I actually prefer using the cx-5 nav system over Apple CarPlay.

Totally worth it IMO. Although you can prob bargain for a bit cheaper.

The 2016 GTI I traded in didn't have the standard nav but had Apple CarPlay, and I actually prefer using the cx-5 nav system over Apple CarPlay.

Good to know! Thanks. Yea the price I was quoted was $339

Just an FYI to make sure you know...

The 2013-2015 CX-5 needs a TOM TOM NAVIGATION module installed into the cubby by the drivers left knee. Then the TOM TOM SD card goes into the TOM TOM module.

whereas the 2016-current CX-5, need a NAVTECH SD card only, to fit into the already existing SD card slot.

Just an FYI to make sure you know...

The 2013-2015 CX-5 needs a TOM TOM NAVIGATION module installed into the cubby by the drivers left knee. Then the TOM TOM SD card goes into the TOM TOM module.

whereas the 2016-current CX-5, need a NAVTECH SD card only, to fit into the already existing SD card slot.

That is definitely good to know. Thanks for the information.

Just realized you're from west Chester. Did you purchase from Piazza?

I am from West Chester but I bought the car in NJ near where my parents live. If you have heard of Paul Miller I bought it from a Paul Miller used car dealership.

This is the first car I have driven that I actually use the on screen navigation more than my phone navigation. The voice command is easier to navigate than most including newer Audi's. I love that it shows the exit signs as you come to them and if it has a special kind of turn off than you normally would see. The thing people hate on the most in no live traffic and while yeah i would like it, i dont fault it for that.

Scythe024 You are talking 2016 and OP has 2015 tom tom with HD traffic and a smaller screen...

Hi all,

I am thinking about purchasing the Navigation SD card to install on my 2015 CX-5 Touring but before spending almost $400 I want to see if the money is actually worth it or not. I have looked online but cant find any reviews on the Navigation specifically. Please let me know if I should make the purchase or just go with a Garmin unit.

Don't do it!

After buying an update, there are 5 restaurants shown near the closest mall that haven't existed in 35 years, if ever. When travelling, I asked for Wal-Mart, it took me out to B.F. Egypt. The system is very fiddly and requires double confirmation of most selections. I have given up on it and use a 5" Garmin you can buy for $160 that's easier to use and has a more accurate database

I like it but find myself using waze nearly constantly anyway. Mainly due to needing to see traffic realtime in la. On longer trips once I'm out of la or San Fran I prefer the cx5 nav. I like the part that more specifically shows you what lane to be in and on highways how it shows what's coming up at each exit. So honestly I run both. Waze makes me do crazy stuff so if I check both I can decide if it's worth listening to

Honestly I prefer Google Maps navigation on my iPhone 6, since it's ALWAYS up to date with all current stuff, and takes traffic into account, including automatic re-routing around traffic jams. I've used it on multiple trips and for the most part it works great. Haven't tried it on a road trip in the CX5 yet, but I'm guessing that if the phone is connected via bluetooth with music playing, the music will mute and directions will be spoken through the car's speakers, just like the factory nav.

Honestly I prefer Google Maps navigation on my iPhone 6, since it's ALWAYS up to date with all current stuff, and takes traffic into account, including automatic re-routing around traffic jams. I've used it on multiple trips and for the most part it works great. Haven't tried it on a road trip in the CX5 yet, but I'm guessing that if the phone is connected via bluetooth with music playing, the music will mute and directions will be spoken through the car's speakers, just like the factory nav.

I agree but does your phone work in areas where there's no cell signal?

I voted that it was worth it due to convenience - the TOMTOM system does work well at getting you to your location. I find the voice recognition works reliably with addresses too (about the only thing VR does work with). I do not like the POI at all, as mentioned above it does suck. But compared to buying a portable unit, sticking it on your windshield, removing/hiding it when you park and having wires dangling down to charge it, the TOMTOM makes up for it.

Eventually we will have infotainment centers that allow consumers to add what we want and display it how we want to (just like any phone). This probably already exists as I'm usually 2 years behind any great "million" dollar ideas :)

Back