Smartkey issue on CX9 - No Key light on dash

Dundjinnx

:
Mazda CX9 GT
I have a 2012 CX9 GT that just stopped responding to either of my smartkey fobs. I replaced the batteries in both keys about a month ago after one stopped working. Figured I would just do both at the same time. Everything was good until this morning. The car didn't respond to either one to unlock the doors remotely using the keyfob or with the handle button and key in my pocket. I used the actual key to unlock the door and get inside, at which point the car wouldn't start with the smartkey. I noticed there were no lights on the day. No red key light indicating it didn't detect the key, nor a green light indicating it did. just nothing. I thought maybe the car battery was dead, but I took the used the actual metal key and the car started up just fine. Drove it to where I needed to go and back without issue.

Now I am back home and have time to mess with it. I read through the user manual and googled the issue, but I can't find anything about the dash "key" light being completely out. Everything is green or red light, solid or flashing. I am hoping it is something as simple as a fuse since its just out completely, but I don't see fuse labeled smartkey in the book.

I saw a post where someone asked how the power locks reacted, so I checked mine.
  • If I try to lock it using the ALL lock/unlock button on the driver or passenger side while the car is off, nothing happens.
  • If I try to lock it using the driver side actual red/black door lock while the car is off, all the doors lock, but immediately unlock.
  • Its more like the system thinks the key is still inside and won't let me lock the keys inside.
  • If I get out of the car and use the actual key, I can use it to lock the door, which then automatically locks all the doors and back hatch. I confirmed each is locked after. Then I can also use the actual key to unlock the driver door.
  • If I start the car and drive the car locks everything automatically and it stays locked until I stop and put it in park. At which point it unlocks.
  • Also during the drive, all the buttons work to lock/unlock normally.

The only thing to note is the driver side sunvisor broke last week and wouldn't stay up. I pulled it off the arm yesterday hoping I would be able to repair is somehow. That didn't work out, so I need to get a replacement. For now the arm alone and has 2 metal plates on it, I assume the contact points for the inside of the visor to power the mirror light. I couldn't see how in the world that could be related, but figured I would mention it anyway...

Any suggestions of things to check is appreciated

Problem solved

I solved the issue. After checking all the fuses related to ignition or engine and trying to reset everything by disconnecting the battery, issue remained. While sitting in the car befuddled, I noticed the dome light wasn't on. After playing with the switch and key a few times, I found it wouldn't even come on with the car started. So I broke out the manual again and check the interior light fuse. Sure enough it was out. I guess it blew when I pulled the sunvisor off. Replaced it and dome light came on right along with the smartkey light. Remote lock worked and car started without the key. Leave it to an engineer to route the ignition and keyless entry through the dome light...

I solved the issue. After checking all the fuses related to ignition or engine and trying to reset everything by disconnecting the battery, issue remained. While sitting in the car befuddled, I noticed the dome light wasn't on. After playing with the switch and key a few times, I found it wouldn't even come on with the car started. So I broke out the manual again and check the interior light fuse. Sure enough it was out. I guess it blew when I pulled the sunvisor off. Replaced it and dome light came on right along with the smartkey light. Remote lock worked and car started without the key. Leave it to an engineer to route the ignition and keyless entry through the dome light...

Wow, good find!!! I'm glad you were able to fix it, thanks for posting this, Dundjinnx, good info to know for the future, who would have guessed the smartkey and ignition only works if the dome light fuse is good ????

I too faced a similar issue after our kid accidently dropped the key in the pool.

Last edited:
Back