Cruise Control fail

HeathV

:
Mazda 6
Hello, This is my first post and I am not a 'car guy' so I apologize if I miss providing some info.

I have a 4cyl 2004 Mazda 6. The cruise control has recently stopped recognizing input from any of the steering wheel controls. At first I thought it was just failing to engage the Cruise Main, but quickly realized that it wouldn't turn on or off either. The cruise light was on and wouldn't turn off, nor engage the control. I live in an area where the closest Mazda mechanic is almost 3 hours away, so I really want to try this myself. Troubleshooting thus far:

1. I plugged in an ODB Code reader that I have used (successfully) before. It came up with no codes. To make sure, I ran through the process of erasing codes and than started the car, still no response from the on/off button.

2. I disconnected my battery terminals and cleaned them. After reconnecting and starting the car, the switch briefly worked. I thought it was fixed, so turned off the car and walked away for ~90 mins. When I came back to drive away, it was back to not working. The on/off light was now in the 'off' position, and again not recognizing input from the buttons.

3. I have tried googling the issue, but come up dry. Most of the posts I could find seem to be focused on the cruise not engaging or randomly cutting out of it's own accord. Unfortunately this is not consistent with my issue.

4. This morning, as I have every morning since this started, the first thing I did after starting the car was to hit the On/Off button. Amazingly, it turned on, but immediately failed to turn off again. I did test while driving to work and it was still a 'false positive' as cruise main wouldn't engage and the system wouldn't recognize the On/Off anymore. I wondered if it was tied to the amount of time the car had been turned on, so tonight after work I let it sit for 2 hours and went out and tried turning the light off immediately after starting the engine and it didn't respond.

Last edited:
So, as a follow-up, the cruise control randomly started working this evening for a time. The on/off button briefly work, than stopped responding again. To be thorough, I tried setting the cruise as the light was now stuck 'on'. Amazingly, it worked and stayed constant until I needed to turn off.

I am really starting to think that it is the actual buttons on the steering wheel, but I don't have any idea how to go about replacing them to test that theory.

Back