European Mazda5 side mirrors?

ruby.w

:
too numerous to name...
Does anyone have or have a good picture of the side mirrors on a continental European or UK Mazda5 (second gen)? I'm interested in finding out if it had the same sort of aspherical mirrors I saw on cars all over the UK on my last trip (on both sides, drivers' and passengers').

These are more heavily curved towards the outside edge and offer a seamless really wide view - usually there's one section that's relatively undistorted and then near the far edge there's a dashed line and the curve becomes more severe. The advantage is that you can not just cover your blind spots, but you can really obliterate them and get a view of the side of your vehicle as well - ideal for parking in tight quarters. If the LHD European side mirrors are like this I'm going to seek out a pair to swap.

I do cover my blind spots now (the stock mirrors are fairly good) but I really think the aspherics work even better.

Thanks!

Ruby

I come from the VW world and euro mirror glass, which is convex on the outer portion just like you described, is a popular mod. It makes a whole lot of sense and I'm not sure why it hasn't caught on here in the states. Maybe archaic DOT laws don't allow them..?

Whatever the case, someone please post up part numbers if any are ever found.

I come from the VW world and euro mirror glass, which is convex on the outer portion just like you described, is a popular mod. It makes a whole lot of sense and I'm not sure why it hasn't caught on here in the states. Maybe archaic DOT laws don't allow them..?

Whatever the case, someone please post up part numbers if any are ever found.

Ok, some basics first. Apologies if I get any of these wrong.

The side mirror glass is interchangeable between Mazda5's from 2006 and on (including both generations), all years of the Mazda CX-7, and the 2007-2009 CX-9. There are two ways you can go here.

The only true aspheric mirror glass I found for these is unheated and aftermarket, here's an example:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ausenspiegel...da-CX-7-ab-2006-Li-oder-Re-asph-/320848990341

The stock continental European mirrors are both convex, I think these p/n's are for the heated mirrors:

Left mirror plate: CC65-69-1G7;
Right mirror plate: CC65-69-1G1.

I'll check later though. By the way, the "65" indicates the relevant market and this number is sometimes left off - part "69-1G7" bought in the USA will be the USA market mirror. Hope this helps!

BTW, there are regulations that forbid manufacturers from equipping nonplano glass on the drivers' side in the USA, but there are no federal regulations that constrain what consumers can do with them. State law may vary. This regulation *is* under review and it's hoped that there will be changes in the near future which will allow more diversity in mirror designs.

Ruby
2013 Mazda5 Sport MT6

Last edited:
Be careful with curved mirrors, they do reduce blind spots, but it still is there and you still need to cover them while changing lanes, merging, etc.
Pretty sure you can found them online on european parts store

Nice find Hank! Tempted to get these, just bc... must fight urge to waste money.
Anyone else use these on their Mz5?

I'm bound to purchase them at some point - they've been saved in my ebay watch list for more than a year now...LOL. I had the same exact blue tint wide convex mirrors when I had my MS3 and they were wonderful. I wired up the anti-fog connections, too, and they worked well (even though I hardly used them in FL).

Back