CX 5 blind spot monitor vs. CX 3

S5k

:
2016 CX 5 GT tech and CX 3 GT iActive
So I have both the 2016 CX 5 with tech and CX 3 with the active sense package (friend works for Mazda Motor Sports and set us up with dealer cost).
The blind spot monitor on the 5 lights up whenever there is a car or trailer beside and a little behind the car. This happens whenever I'm passing or being passed. The CX 3 however, only lights up if a car is coming up from behind in the blind spot and not when I pass a car which on the 5 makes it a little easier to know when I'm clear to get over. I explained this to the dealer, they checked it out and said the feature on the CX 3 was working fine.
Long story short, the blind spot monitoring on the CX 5 works much more active and efficiently than it does on the CX 3.
Anyone have experience with both systems?

Last edited:
Weird. CX3 is supposed to have a better ABSM (advanced BSM) system, as opposed to BSM on the CX5, which also warns you against aggressively approaching traffic from behind, even before these get into your blind spot. Not sure if the new design would have quietly sacrificed the ability to handle your scenario (car passing others), though unlikely.

That's what I thought. Makes me think that a sensor is not adjusted or glitchy. Although my wife has accused me of being nuts on more then one occasion, she agrees that the sensors aren't working as well as we're accustomed to having in the 5.

It's possible they changed the behavior, perhaps even to avoid what you describe. I've heard a few complaints about false positives with the cx5, although they never bother me because I know how the system works. Others might not like that though and they could have adjusted the programming.

I bet the CX-3 system works that way on purpose.

My CX-5 doesn't have BSM, but I've driven a couple cars with it (2015 Subaru Outback and new C-class Mercedes).
My only complaint was that the systems beep at me when I put on my blinker as I am just getting done passing someone.
Sure.. I could wait to put my blinker, but I prefer signaling my intentions ahead of time, and getting beeped at for doing so gets pretty annoying.

So I have both the 2016 CX 5 with tech and CX 3 with the active sense package (friend works for Mazda Motor Sports and set us up with dealer cost).
The blind spot monitor on the 5 lights up whenever there is a car or trailer beside and a little behind the car. This happens whenever I'm passing or being passed. The CX 3 however, only lights up if a car is coming up from behind in the blind spot and not when I pass a car which on the 5 makes it a little easier to know when I'm clear to get over. I explained this to the dealer, they checked it out and said the feature on the CX 3 was working fine.
Long story short, the blind spot monitoring on the CX 5 works much more active and efficiently than it does on the CX 3.
Anyone have experience with both systems?

So, does it mean that, with the CX-3, if you slowly start to pass another vehicle, but it is still too close to you, it would not beep when you turn on the blinker?
If so, sounds like this is broken logic to me.

... My only complaint was that the systems beep at me when I put on my blinker as I am just getting done passing someone.
Sure.. I could wait to put my blinker, but I prefer signaling my intentions ahead of time, and getting beeped at for doing so gets pretty annoying.
On newer Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring system, ABSM, found on the CX-3 and new CX-9, the indicator only lights up if a car is coming up from behind in the blind spot and not when you pass a car. Apparently Mazda believes this is the better way for ABSM system and made the change which makes ABSM "less annoying" than BSM!

On newer Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring system, ABSM, found on the CX-3 and new CX-9, the indicator only lights up if a car is coming up from behind in the blind spot and not when you pass a car. Apparently Mazda believes this is the better way for ABSM system and made the change which makes ABSM "less annoying" than BSM!

Well, it depends on specifics. I too noticed the BSM beep at me when I am clearly ahead of a vehicle I just passed, and, by the time I actually change lanes, is well behind me. It is not annoying to me, but if it is smart enough to know the difference such that it is still safe, then OK.
This means that the sensor needs to know the passed vehicle's relative speed, which is probably what it does.
Of course, if it will allow an unsafe lane change, then the logic is broken. It is just not clear which is it from the description.

I wonder if its smarter during turns. The most frequent false positive I see is at intersections with two parallel turn lanes.

Thanks for info all.
Whether one system is better than another, it's a drag to get accustomed to one and then have to get used to another every time I switch cars (I only get my hands on the CX 3 during the weekends -zoom zoom!).
First world problems, I'll deal with it.

Back