CX-3 blind spot monitoring vs CX-5

S5k

:
2016 CX 5 GT tech and CX 3 GT iActive
So I have both the 2016 CX 5 with tech and CX 3 with the active sense package (friend works for Mazda Motor Sports and set us up with dealer cost).
The blind spot monitor on the 5 lights up whenever there is a car or trailer beside and a little behind the car. This happens whenever I'm passing or being passed. The CX 3 however, only lights up if a car is coming up from behind in the blind spot and not when I pass a car which on the 5 makes it a little easier to know when I'm clear to get over. I explained this to the dealer, they checked it out and said the feature on the CX 3 was working fine.
Long story short, the blind spot monitoring on the CX 5 works much more active and efficiently than it does on the CX 3.
Anyone have experience with both systems?

Last edited:
Cross posted to CX 5 forum.
Apparently this the difference between the BSM on the 5 and the ABSM on the 3.

Traded a 2013 CX-5 for a 2016 CX-3. I noticed the same difference. I'm guessing they assume you will look to make sure you have cleared the car you are passing with the ABSM. Not sure what the newer ones are like but our old CX-5 would light up when driving past guard rails and stuff. I think I'd prefer something in between, but then again it's not a bad thing to stay in the habit of checking your blind spot.

Re CX5 Sport Nav auto. My BSM malfunction sign has been intermittently coming on since I purchased the vehicle new Dec 2016. The dealers can't get get the warning to come up whilst they have the vehicle. On it's first servicing they tried again but unsuccessfully. I have just left it with them again for a couple of days, still no luck. They are so reliant on computers now that logical fault finding is without a computer is a dying art. What can you do? The problem has been going on for so long now and is not relevant to any particular occasion. It can come on at any time. However most of the time stopping the car and switching everything off then starting up again can bring it back to normal. Sound familiar, (I did think of opening and shutting windows-sic)

I have a 2017 CX3 and it does the same thing. At first I thought it might be a malfunction but was told it is working fine. I also have a 2017 CX5 and the blind spot monitoring works differently than the CX3. It lights up if I pass cars and if cars come up on me. Seems to be a difference in tech.

I'll be able to test this out starting Tuesday. Trading in my CX-3 for a 2017 CX-5. I like the CX-3 but the wife prefers the size of the CX-5 (it's her car).

Back