2016 Mazda CX-9 Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Stryker medic

:
2016 Mazda CX9 Signature White Pearl/ 2013 Mazda CX9 GT
Hi guys. Does anybody accurately know what the 2016 Mazda CX-9 uses to monitor the tire pressure? I was informed that it doesn't use the direct TPMS know which is from the inside the rim. Instead it uses an indirect TPMS or the ABS system to monitor the pressure. Anybody can confirm that? Or I was just misinformed.

That is correct, there is no TPMS inside the tire.

The data from the ABS wheel sensor that counts the revolutions per mile, is compared with the other 3 wheel sensors. If one wheels revolutions per mile do not match the other three, the system will alert the driver that a tire is not at the correct pressure.

The key to making this system work properly is to set all the tire pressures correctly, and then press and hold in the TPMS RESET button for a moment until you hear the beep, and see the TPMS light flash.

Here is a VIDEO that explains it better...

Last edited:
That is correct, there is no TPMS inside the tire.

The data from the ABS wheel sensor that counts the revolutions per mile, is compared with the other 3 wheel sensors. If one wheels revolutions per mile do not match the other three, the system will alert the driver that a tire is not at the correct pressure.

The key to making this system work properly is to set all the tire pressures correctly, and then press and hold in the TPMS RESET button for a moment until you hear the beep, and see the TPMS light flash.

Here is a VIDEO that explains it better...

Thanks. So does that make it worse than the direct TPMS? I've heard that the direct ones like from my old 2013 Mazda CX-9 GT are more accurate than this and sometimes this can be a pain in the butt. In some cases like during winter season, icy roads where some of your tire spins faster than the rest, this could set off the TPMS alarm. The computer could read it as faulty.

That sucks when you keep on resetting your TPMS during whole winter season.

Thanks. So does that make it worse than the direct TPMS? I've heard that the direct ones like from my old 2013 Mazda CX-9 GT are more accurate than this and sometimes this can be a pain in the butt. In some cases like during winter season, icy roads where some of your tire spins faster than the rest, this could set off the TPMS alarm. The computer could read it as faulty.

That sucks when you keep on resetting your TPMS during whole winter season.

I have never heard of tire spin setting off the TPMS... and once you initialize your TPMS, you wont need to do it again unless you change the air pressure , rotate tires, or reset battery.

This system is in some ways better than the old SENSOR in the tire type. The main benefits include no added weight, no hardware or maintenance required, and the ability to swap tires and wheels as desired at winter or the track without worrying about the sensors inside the tires.

Last edited:
All of the Mazda's in US from 2013-up CX-5, 2014-up mazda6 and mazda3 have all used this sensor-free system...

Last edited:
Definitely. I guess a tire pressure gauge and a compact air compressor is a must

(band)

I would add that one of the DOWN falls with this sensor free system is that you do not know your tire is flat until you have already started moving down the road...

This is very true, had an old Highlander with the sensor free tire pressure monitoring system, stupid thing didn't even go off when there was a leak caused by a nail until it was like 20psi left in the tire, the ABS type is not very accurate, but the upside is that you can swap out any tires or wheels without worrying about sensors.

This is very true, had an old Highlander with the sensor free tire pressure monitoring system, stupid thing didn't even go off when there was a leak caused by a nail until it was like 20psi left in the tire, the ABS type is not very accurate, but the upside is that you can swap out any tires or wheels without worrying about sensors.

Did you get to had it checked when that happened? It should had set the alarm off since that tire's rpm had dropped down while you were driving. That could have been a faulty ABS system right there.

But like you said, it's convenient, easy and inexpensive. You don't have to buy a set of good TPMS whenever you buy a set of new rims. Those OEMs are expensive.

I have a set of direct TPMS that it's not of use, can I put it on my rims and use this instead of having the indirect tire pressure monitoring system or the ABS system?

I have a set of direct TPMS that it's not of use, can I put it on my rims and use this instead of having the indirect tire pressure monitoring system or the ABS system?
You can install them, but without the attendant electronics in the car; they won't provide any readings.
In essence, we're stuck with the indirect system.
(I sure miss direct readouts of each tire pressure as provided in other cars I've owned.)

You can install them, but without the attendant electronics in the car; they won't provide any readings.
In essence, we're stuck with the indirect system.
(I sure miss direct readouts of each tire pressure as provided in other cars I've owned.)

Then I guess I'm really stuck with the indirect system then. But since I already had put it in my rims, will it mess up the abs system? Don't ask me why, wheel guy convinced me to install it just in case.

The sensors won't affect the ABS system at all.
ABS detects differences in rate of rotation between tires rather than the wheel or tire combination in use.

Once set per the owner's manual, the indirect system will still trigger when it reaches the programmed threshold since a low-pressure tire will have a smaller diameter and rotate faster than the other three.

The sensors won't affect the ABS system at all.
ABS detects differences in rate of rotation between tires rather than the wheel or tire combination in use.

Once set per the owner's manual, the indirect system will still trigger when it reaches the programmed threshold since a low-pressure tire will have a smaller diameter and rotate faster than the other three.

Good to know. Might as well leave it inside the rims.

In order to read the real-time air pressure in each of the tires on my 2016 CX-9 while I'm driving, I installed the AUKEY TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Since my CX-9 accessory (cigarette lighter) socket is way down on the right side of the front console, I had to add a short extension cord to allow me to be able to read the pressure display while driving. It gives me piece of mind during long highway trips in northern Arizona, especially when the built-in system gives (an incorrect) warning and I'm 50-miles from a town. Here's a link to what I bought - it works very well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Here's a video showing the installation process (different name but same product).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89LwKT_7_Q

In order to read the real-time air pressure in each of the tires on my 2016 CX-9 while I'm driving, I installed the AUKEY TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Since my CX-9 accessory (cigarette lighter) socket is way down on the right side of the front console, I had to add a short extension cord to allow me to be able to read the pressure display while driving. It gives me piece of mind during long highway trips in northern Arizona, especially when the built-in system gives (an incorrect) warning and I'm 50-miles from a town. Here's a link to what I bought - it works very well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Here's a video showing the installation process (different name but same product).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89LwKT_7_Q

That's a good add on Runmore. So far my sensors are working as it should do.

Is there a way to turn off the light in the car from the TPMS sensor?

I went and filled my tires with air to the specifications and still see the warning light on inside the car. Any help?

Back