Small Windshield Rock Pings

Panther

Zoomer not a Boomer
Contributor
:
2016 MAZDA CX-5 GT AWD with TECH PKG / i-ActivSense
Hello All,

Been a long time since I checked in, looks like everyone's still very pleased with
their CX-5's.

I'm coming up on my 1 yr mark, have to kind of laugh as I only have 6K miles !!!!
Since, I've retired it's amazing how some days we don't even leave the Property,
but have to say, it's been wonderfully enjoyable. Most of the Mileage has bee from
a could of 1K trips and a 3.5K trip.

So, on to my question, on a couple of smaller roadtrips I've picked up some
small pings, I'll call them to the windshield. They're not the deep dings or chips, like a
bb gun would make, but just seems like they just got below the polished surface.
So I was wondering is there anything I can do to maybe stop a crack from forming
or are they really not deep enough to cause any further harm????

Appreciate any thoughts or info, just don't want to let it move to cracks if I could
do something (not sure what since there's not but maybe .005/ .015 deep)

Thanks and Take Care,

Craig

Really doesn't sound like you have anything to be concerned about. I have a chip on the passenger side that was severe enough to have a couple of small "wings" on either side that I had repaired by a glass shop. Still shows, but since the integrity of the laminate was breached (which is the key here), I thought it was prudent to have it done. Superficial blemishes like you describe do not qualify. BTW, I'm retired too and I just turned30k miles on my nearly 4 year old 2013, so you're not alone!

So, on to my question, on a couple of smaller roadtrips I've picked up some small pings, I'll call them to the windshield.
Craig, glad to see you posting again and enjoying your retirement life! As to your minor pings on the windshield, I agree with paris1, it really doesn't sound like you have anything to be concerned about.

If you ever see any star-lines developed around the pits and pings on the windshield, then you need to fix it ASAP. I had GlassLogic in Dallas area fixed a windshield crack caused by a rock on our Honda CR-V and he'd done an excellent job for very reasonable price.

With so few miles driven on your 2016 CX-5, make sure to turn on oil life monitor and use Flexible Maintenance Schedule for oil change to take advantage of 12-month or 10,000-mile OCI without losing any new car warranties.

Really doesn't sound like you have anything to be concerned about. I have a chip on the passenger side that was severe enough to have a couple of small "wings" on either side that I had repaired by a glass shop. Still shows, but since the integrity of the laminate was breached (which is the key here), I thought it was prudent to have it done. Superficial blemishes like you describe do not qualify. BTW, I'm retired too and I just turned30k miles on my nearly 4 year old 2013, so you're not alone!

Thanks So Much Paris, That was what I was hoping but just didn't want to take
any chances of having problems by not taking care of it.

I started to not post about my Mileage as I thought with everyone putting so many miles on
their cars, but since we're not working anymore it's nice to have it safely in the Garage till
time to cruise around. I'm still really enjoying it, it's been one of the Nicest Car I've ever owned.

Thanks again, I feel better now !!!

Take Care,

Craig

Craig, glad to see you posting again and enjoying your retirement life! As to your minor pings on the windshield, I agree with paris1, it really doesn't sound like you have anything to be concerned about.

If you ever see any star-lines developed around the pits and pings on the windshield, then you need to fix it ASAP. I had GlassLogic in Dallas area fixed a windshield crack caused by a rock on our Honda CR-V and he'd done an excellent job for very reasonable price.

With so few miles driven on your 2016 CX-5, make sure to turn on oil life monitor and use Flexible Maintenance Schedule for oil change to take advantage of 12-month or 10,000-mile OCI without losing any new car warranties.

Hello You Rascal,

Nice to check back in and see things and people still going strong !!!!

Thanks, I've been loving Retirement !!!! It's even better than I had Dreamed Of !!!!

Appreciate the Tip on the Oil Schedule ! and the Link for the Glass Repair.

I'll try to check back in more often !!!!

There are special polishes and pads designed for polishing glass. You could look into those perhaps, they might help. I have no experience with them but they reduce the appearance of the little dings.

There are special polishes and pads designed for polishing glass. You could look into those perhaps, they might help. I have no experience with them but they reduce the appearance of the little dings.

Thanks Very Much Ride92, I'll look into that !!!!

Panther: For future reference, it would have been helpful if you had posted a couple of pics of the damage.

Panther: For future reference, it would have been helpful if you had posted a couple of pics of the damage.

Hi Paris,

I tried to take a few pic but since it's so small and not with anything that it can focus on
it didn't pick up the "scuff" mark.

Thanks !!!!

Back