Changed ATF at 35k; it's gray at 42k. (2013 Mazda5 GT)

tanstaafl

:
2013 Mazda5 GT
Hey Y'all,

A few months ago I had my ATF changed by the dealer at 35k, even though the advisor said it wasn't necessary, due the the comments I had read on this forum about the Mazda5 being hard on the transmission. Today I got an oil change at 42k (not at the dealer), and the tech showed me a drop of the transmission fluid, which looked gray and muddy, and he was shocked when I told him it was just changed a few months ago. Any ideas what's going on? Should I be worried about some underlying issue? (I am a pretty normal driver, 1/2 highway commute and 1/2 city driving.) Thanks...

Like engine oil, the colour of your transmission generally has nothing to do with what's going on in your transmission. Quick change places will often show customers the dipstick or whatever and say something like "look how dark this is, you need our transmission fluid flush service price at $___.__" This is their standard operating procedure and should be ignored.

Again, I think, like engine oil... in the time it takes you to drive home the colour of the fluid will change quite a bit.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/141

Mazdas 5s are known for using up their transmission fluid. Usually when the dealer changes the ATF it's one change which only about 50%. To do a more complete change, it takes 3-4 changes. Change it 2x more times, and do it again at 30k for a longer lasting trans. Many threads on this subject.

Mazdas 5s are known for using up their transmission fluid. Usually when the dealer changes the ATF it's one change which only about 50%. To do a more complete change, it takes 3-4 changes. Change it 2x more times, and do it again at 30k for a longer lasting trans. Many threads on this subject.

Yeah, this car is hard on transmission fluid. Changed mine at 35k and it was dark brown, though Mazda has no interval on the maintenance schedule. Part of the "lifetime" fluid BS the industry started using a decade ago. Should look like cherry cough syrup when new, slightly darker when used. Brown is not good. An automatic transmission is generally a "clean" place compared to the engine internally. But there's a lot of heat build up and that's what causes the fluid to deteriorate.

Also, don't use Mazda fluid if you want fluid to last longer and add a tranny cooler.
Mine smelled like puke at 20k miles and looked like tar. Now after all the changes ok after 35k.

Also pay close attention to the fluid used. I'm not sure about the 2011+ Mazda 5 with the 2.5/ 6 spd automatic. But the 2.3/ 5spd automatic Mazda 5 takes a specific Mercon fluid, Mercon M-V. Mercon V is not the same thing and you will notice a change in shift quality. I used Lucas ATF Mercon M-V and it's holding up better than the original Mazda fluid.

color doesnt determine much. you need to send it to s lab for analysis.

i did mine at the dealer around 80k km. it made a noticeable difference. before shifts were noticeable esp between 1 - 2 and 2 - 3 but now its butter smooth

Sent from my SHV-E250L using Tapatalk

I continue to drain the pan (3 quarts) and refill every 15-20k miles, using only Mazda MV (M5) fluid. I didn't even think it was necessary this last time, but I was surprised when the shift were slightly smoother afterwards.

Back