2016 CX-9 Infotainment System Rebooting and Freezing

Well, my firmware is 59.00.502. I suppose I should talk to the dealership about this and see about a firmware update. This seems more like a hardware issue to me, software isn't usually affected by temperature, but it's possible that software and configuration can affect it.
Agreed likely a firmware issue...If it still is under warranty then it shouldn’t cost you anything if they do the update for you.

I took it into a dealership today, primarily because my screen experienced the common defect in the corners - that will be replaced via warranty. However I also mentioned the rebooting issue in the cold weather, and they informed me it's a known issue and the cause is the nav SD Card. The solution is to replace the SD card, but the lady wasn't sure if that would be covered. She did suggest that one way to "solve" this is to remove the SD card, warm it up in your hands and then re-insert it. Or bring it into the house. I don't really consider those solutions.

So, I guess we'll wait and see what they say when I take it in next week.

Last edited:
I took it into a dealership today, primarily because my screen experienced the common defect in the corners - that will be replaced via warranty. However I also mentioned the rebooting issue in the cold weather, and they informed me it's a known issue and the cause is the nav SD Card. The solution is to replace the SD card, but the lady wasn't sure if that would be covered. She did suggest that one way to "solve" this is to remove the SD card, warm it up in your hands and then re-insert it. I don't really consider those solutions.

One thing you could try in the meantime is using some type of electrical contact cleaner on the card and the SD card slot.

Yes, that is a good idea. Wipe it down with some isopropyl alcohol perhaps. That does remind me however, I need to buy some proper contact cleaner.... 🤪

I “ think “ you may be able to backup and make a copy of your sd card using the mazda map update took on your computer

I “ think “ you may be able to backup and make a copy of your sd card using the mazda map update took on your computer

I thought that was something you can only do while in the process of performing an update. I suppose I could then restore it to some other SD card?

Not sure. I saw the option to do a backup, so i assumed that was possible, but would have to launch the software a dif a bit deeper into it to see.

I took it into a dealership today, primarily because my screen experienced the common defect in the corners - that will be replaced via warranty. However I also mentioned the rebooting issue in the cold weather, and they informed me it's a known issue and the cause is the nav SD Card. The solution is to replace the SD card, but the lady wasn't sure if that would be covered. She did suggest that one way to "solve" this is to remove the SD card, warm it up in your hands and then re-insert it. Or bring it into the house. I don't really consider those solutions.

no, it is not the solution. The system requires at minimum the 16 GB memory card and for some reason mazda has installed 8 GB cards which gets over loaded and hence the system is constantly trying to reboot. I left mine out all together which solved that problem but u just can't update your navigation, which I rarely used anyway bc I use my phone thru the Bluetooth for directions, etc. haven't had an issue since. Mazda should fix this problem as it seems to be widespread.

no, it is not the solution. The system requires at minimum the 16 GB memory card and for some reason mazda has installed 8 GB cards which gets over loaded and hence the system is constantly trying to reboot. I left mine out all together which solved that problem but u just can't update your navigation, which I rarely used anyway bc I use my phone thru the Bluetooth for directions, etc. haven't had an issue since. Mazda should fix this problem as it seems to be widespread.
Mazda replaced my nav SD card under warranty. They even gave me the latest nav card that just came out recently (ends in "N" I believe). Now, it hasn't been -30C since I got is, so I might need to wait until next winter to verify that was the fix. Here's the TSB for it: TSB 09-18-01

Attachments

• PXL_20210309_214233323_small.jpg
    PXL_20210309_214233323_small.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 209
Mazda replaced my nav SD card under warranty. They even gave me the latest nav card that just came out recently (ends in "N" I believe). Now, it hasn't been -30C since I got is, so I might need to wait until next winter to verify that was the fix. Here's the TSB for it: TSB 09-18-01
thank you so much for the info. Mine was no longer under warranty.. They (svce dept) said I could contact Mazda and see if they would help with a new SD card but since I haven't had any more with the Bluetooth and rarely used my nav, it just wasn't an expense I wanted to deal with, lol....thank you again for information

You can copy the oem sdcard to any other sd card. Copy all files and folders as they are currently to a pc. Insert new sdcard format it if needed and copy everything as it is to the new card. I did it with a 16gb faster sdcard and it works great. Now the oem is a backup.

You can copy the oem sdcard to any other sd card. Copy all files and folders as they are currently to a pc. Insert new sdcard format it if needed and copy everything as it is to the new card. I did it with a 16gb faster sdcard and it works great. Now the oem is a backup.
Interesting. Does the faster sd card allow the nav to load noticeable faster?

Hi! Today I have almost bricked the system. Started reinstall from 59.00.502 to 70.00.367A, to get Android Auto working, and during "Preparation for update" stage accidentally turned the ignition off. Fortunately the system was able to recover and works fine. But fail-safe is missing now. Can someone share fail-safe for 59.00.502 NA N?

PXL_20211008_131337849.jpg

My ‘16 GT froze a few times when it was new and I had the firmware updated at the dealership when it was in for an oil change.

That prior fix worked well for a long time. It started to act up again recently, though. She was parked outside last weekend on a VT getaway. The nav loaded significantly slower than usual when I started the car early after a particularly chilly night. The screen went black toward the end of the 3 hour drive home a couple days later. The music I was streaming from my phone continued to play through the car speakers and change tracks/volume with the steering wheel controls. Not surprisingly the back up camera did not work while the screen was down. Everything worked as advertised after turning the car off & back on. Weird.

It did the same thing again a few days ago. It wasn’t cold out that time.

Had the dealer check it out while I was in for an oil change today. They did a firmware update for free to hopefully fix the issue. I’ll keep an eye on it & will report back.

I noticed I have a tiny little spider crack forming in the lower right corner of the screen. Happy to hear there’s a TSB for that fix.

Lots of infotainment reboots lately. It seems to happen most at the beginning of a drive in the morning when it’s cold. Anyone else having this problem? She lives in the garage & it’s not that cold where I’m at.

Lots of infotainment reboots lately. It seems to happen most at the beginning of a drive in the morning when it’s cold. Anyone else having this problem? She lives in the garage & it’s not that cold where I’m at.
I haven’t been on this thread for a while, but my issue was the sd card. In the cold it caused problems. Try pulling the card out the night before and see if it still has problems in the morning. The dealership replaced mine, one with presumably better cold temperature. performance.

I haven’t been on this thread for a while, but my issue was the sd card. In the cold it caused problems. Try pulling the card out the night before and see if it still has problems in the morning. The dealership replaced mine, one with presumably better cold temperature. performance.
Thanks! I’ll give that a shot.

Back