2016 CX-9 Infotainment System Rebooting and Freezing

Just i installed from mazda version 59.00.502 NA today. Prior to the install the screen has been shutting down every single day!

Will keep everyone posted.

Just i installed from mazda version 59.00.502 NA today. Prior to the install the screen has been shutting down every single day!

Will keep everyone posted.

Where did you find the 59.00.502 NA update? I haven't been able to locate it online.

The dealership said it was just released this past tuesday. It does not matter as the screen is still shutting off twice to be exact.

Extremely frustrated that mazda has no clue here . Taking her back to the dealership!

Btw i did suggest to mazda to try to replace the screen as it is probably hardware issue but they said there was a software update and i was really hoping the software update would fix it. Would be good to know how it was resolved for you if you had the blank screen.

Here is the latest Connect Firmware for North American Mazda's with Connect and this includes TC CX-9.
This is the standard MAZDA OEM Firmware, this does not have tweaks, this is what your Mazda Dealer installs.
So on your Connect screen if your Version Number on the end says NA N, and is a LOWER Number like 59.00.441 NA N
then this new 502A update is for your CX-9, MX-5, CX-5, CX-3, Mazda 2, 3 and 6.
There is no Changelog available, usually bug fixes..
IF you have any non Mazda TWEAKS installed I strongly advise you remove them first before latest update,
and do not re-install them after the new 502A update unless you are certain what Tweak you are using are compatible with 502A.
IF your Version (on Screen) says AFTER Version Number .. 4A N, or EU N, or JP M then this Firmware IS NOT for your Mazda...do not install.
COPY AND PASTE THIS LINK BELOW IN YOUR BROWSER
https://www.hidrive.strato.com/share/eij2ao9hsv#$/NA

Last edited:
IF your Mazda is in Europe or uses EU N Firmware then EU_59.00.502A for EU N is available to download from links here...

https://www.hidrive.strato.com/share/eij2ao9hsv#$/EU

As CX-9 is not sold in Europe yet, this EU N Firmware is for Mazda 2,3 and 6 and Mazda CX-3, CX-5 and MX-5.

No 4A N (ADR) for Australia, Oceania or many parts of Asia is available yet, only a ADR 56.00.513C version, IF your Mazda is above this 56.00.513 4A N, like one installed from Mazda factory production line with or around 59.00.449 4A N DO NOT DOWNGRADE to a lower version, ever.

Last edited:
IF your Mazda is in Europe or uses EU N Firmware then EU_59.00.502A for EU N is available to download from links here...

https://www.hidrive.strato.com/share/eij2ao9hsv#$/EU

As CX-9 is not sold in Europe yet, this EU N Firmware is for Mazda 2,3 and 6 and Mazda CX-3, CX-5 and MX-5.

No 4A N (ADR) for Australia, Oceania or many parts of Asia is available yet, only a ADR 56.00.513C version, IF your Mazda is above this 56.00.513 4A N, like one installed from Mazda factory production line with or around 59.00.449 4A N DO NOT DOWNGRADE to a lower version, ever.

This is great, thank you for uploading these. Is anyone else having an issue downloading them? My downloads keep timing out.

My downloads keep timing out.

As I do not have any time-out issues from this Server, I suggest you find a location or IP which offers faster plans,
and copy paste to your stick.
The EU cmu file is large of 2.3GB, imo you need a minimum 25Mbps connection to prevent time outs.

As I do not have any time-out issues from this Server, I suggest you find a location or IP which offers faster plans,
and copy paste to your stick.
The EU cmu file is large of 2.3GB, imo you need a minimum 25Mbps connection to prevent time outs.

It is strange that I'm having difficulty downloading this. I have 75Mbps service and no other issues.

Btw i did suggest to mazda to try to replace the screen as it is probably hardware issue but they said there was a software update and i was really hoping the software update would fix it. Would be good to know how it was resolved for you if you had the blank screen.

Replying to my own post as informational to others. The dealer finally replaced my screen and all the issues with screen shutting off has appeared to be resolved. It has been consistently working for at least 3 weeks whereas before the screen replacement it would turn off almost every single day.

Just bought a 2016 CX-9 Signature last week. Very nice car but one of the things that is bugging me is the frequent rebooting and/or freezing of the infotainment system. I have noticed in a 100 mile drive that the system rebooted itself three times. Also on other trips the navigation map info is lost and needs to reload, with a blank screen except for "navigation loading" message. Once the whole system locked up with a blank screen but radio still working. Stopping and starting the car or rebooting the system seems to get things going again but it is happening often. Is anyone else having similar problems with the new CX-9? If so, any recommendations? Thanks.
My 2017 Mazda CX5 repeatedly shuts down and tries to reboot. it is progressively worse over the last couple of months, doing it 10+ times in 20 min or so...

My 2017 Mazda CX5 repeatedly shuts down and tries to reboot. it is progressively worse over the last couple of months, doing it 10+ times in 20 min or so...

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting methods described in this thread? There are a few things you can try, as well as some resolutions (dealer updated software or replaced CMU to resolve the issue). These methods are all specific to the CX-9 (this is a CX-9 thread), but troubleshooting/resolutions should be similar.

The Firmware for 2017 CX-5 and up to 2021 CX-9 are identical, guy with CX-5, check your Firmware and Update it., then RESET CMU...see how that goes, install the correct way it Depends on What Version is in car now and the process of updating and IF Dealer ever updated it??.
You may have to update twice or more IF on or below 55.00.513C.
First with 2 files 70.00.100A Failsafe.up and then 70.00.100A Re-install.up, then reboot and install 70.00.367A_update .up ONLY NOW ONE File.
Make sure you install correct Region..
NA N North America
EU N Europe/UK
4A N (ADR) Australia, NZ, Asia Oceania, Middle East.
Follow instructions EXACTLY and do not turn off or start car until finished.
Car battery must be good.
https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda CONNECT Firmware

This might be a different issue from the rest here, but it's been really cold here lately, around -30C, and I notice the system just gets into a boot loop until it warms up. Is this common or is this unusual? Either way it sucks. It's a 2017 GT, Canadian model.

This might be a different issue from the rest here, but it's been really cold here lately, around -30C, and I notice the system just gets into a boot loop until it warms up. Is this common or is this unusual? Either way it sucks. It's a 2017 GT, Canadian model.

I think it used to be common with some earlier models. I never had the issue in my 2018. You could try checking the firmware to see if it needs to be updated? That may solve the issue.

I have a 2017 Signature and no issues...never updated the firmware ever since I picked up vehicle from dealership. I do experience intermittent issues (screen blank) from time to time but very very rare and usually rebooting it solves the issue (turning car off then on again).

Well, my firmware is 59.00.502. I suppose I should talk to the dealership about this and see about a firmware update. This seems more like a hardware issue to me, software isn't usually affected by temperature, but it's possible that software and configuration can affect it.

Back