2016 CX-9 Infotainment System Rebooting and Freezing

I have a new problem with my infotainment system.

The Nav system was stuck on the "Loading" screen with the animation thing turning in circles. It did it for about 2 hours.... I tried removing the SD car and then re installing, shutting the car down and re starting....neither worked. I did not try the hard reboot.
The same day, the infotainment rebooted 2 times and I got the "Service Past Due" notification on my cluster display.....

This was the worst noted day sofar....there are otherdays where the system works flawlessly..

This literally just happened to me this morning. 2016 CX5 GT w/Tech Pkg. Only way I brought it back to life was factory reset in settings menu, and you will lose all your personalized settings. Had the car since Jan 2016. Infotainment has been stable ever since then, just today had the issue. Hopefully, it won't return after the reset.

Prior to the firmware update, I had the Nav screen stuck on "Loading" on a couple of occasions.
In both cases a hard reboot solved the issue.

Fingers crossed that it continues; I've not had any issues since the update.

May I ask what "hard reboot" entails? The three button (mute, nav, back) press? I always thought the button combo was considered "soft reboot"?

May I ask what "hard reboot" entails? The three button (mute, nav, back) press? I always thought the button combo was considered "soft reboot"?

I've always thought of the combination you specified as a hard reboot.

Even if it isn't, the process worked for me and hasn't been required since updating to the latest infotainment firmware.

I've always thought of the combination you specified as a hard reboot.

Even if it isn't, the process worked for me and hasn't been required since updating to the latest infotainment firmware.

Great, thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other kind of reboot I didn't know about. Soft/Hard reboot, I could care less what it's called... lol
Glad to hear the firmware update has resolved issue(s) you were having.

Hi all...

Here is an updated/better link for latest Firmware which does not deal with any hacks, just oem stuff with advise.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...t-firmware-downloads-updated.html#post1859114

As you may know the updated firmware NA-59.00.441A is for all Mazda Connect owners in North America, BUT this update will remove the HUD Tachometer in CX-9 as Mazda Japan has deemed it as too disctractive and not safe. Don't blame the Dealers they don't do code, it is what it is, nothing else has changed in HUD.
There is a changelog listed for NA_59 too in this thread.

Last edited:
BTW: Just going back and having a bit of a read.. a couple of things..
There is Zero difference between you the owner updating Firmware and your Mazda Dealer, they are all done the same way, 'manually' with a USB flash Drive 2.0 8GB.
59.00.441A is the latest for North America (all Mazda's), and IF you are still having issues then all the Dealer can do is note it and you have to wait for next update.
Seriously changing hardware is not appropriate in these instances.
So many things in environment can trip a freeze or re-boot...or BT drop out.
I know of MX-5 and Mazda 6 owners who have installed 59 and many like it over previous V55....much more stable, smoother, better..
Unfortunately Apple gives all car makes the most grief, particularly Pandora App, Apple keep updating and car makers (Dealers) pull their hair out. (example).

No info system is perfect, Connect is very very good and getting better all the time, don't worry Mazda will stick by you, and I know it is frustrating, but comparing your old say TomTom and how good it was it Connect is like comparing a Boeing 737 to a A380, ya know what I mean.

Just some caution with Tweaks from 3 forum, yes everyone is playing with them and some get this or that to work with V59, but be careful,
Many guys bricked their CMU's when going to 59 from say 55, you must remove any teaks back to factory firmware, before you upgrade.

Well, here's my first issue: My screen is just a series of vertical lines. I can see it change colours as the system boots up, or if you try to navigate functions, but it just displays a series of unreadable lines. Audio still working.
I tried the reboot process shown above, but it does not fix anything.
Up until this happened, I had no issues (since July).

Ideas, ahead of calling the dealer?

Dealer had the car all day yesterday, and after testing, calling Mazda support, more testing, they have ordered me a new screen...I was told there's none in NA, so it's has to come from the supplier in Japan.
ETA is early January, so no back up camera, NAV, radio control for me!

Well, here's my first issue: My screen is just a series of vertical lines. I can see it change colours as the system boots up, or if you try to navigate functions, but it just displays a series of unreadable lines. Audio still working.
I tried the reboot process shown above, but it does not fix anything.
Up until this happened, I had no issues (since July).

Ideas, ahead of calling the dealer?

sounds just like a similar problem with another 2016 CX-9 owner here, did you update the software recently ?

sounds just like a similar problem with another 2016 CX-9 owner here, did you update the software recently ?

No, I didn't touch anything, it hadn't been for service yet, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I didn't touch anything, it hadn't been for service yet, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm.... if software was never updated and was working well since July sounds more like a hardware issue then, maybe it's temperature dependent ? not sure... maybe one of the components has failed due to colder weather.

Checking back in on this one...It's been over a month, part still on back order. My screen is inop, so all the features, selectors, menus are not usable.
Radio still works, using the preset selector on the wheel.

My dealer is responsive and apologetic, but I don't have an update on availability. A call to Mazda Canada is tomorrow's task.

Checking back in on this one...It's been over a month, part still on back order. My screen is inop, so all the features, selectors, menus are not usable.
Radio still works, using the preset selector on the wheel.

My dealer is responsive and apologetic, but I don't have an update on availability. A call to Mazda Canada is tomorrow's task.

Wow that's a pain having no infotainment at all for a month...not sure about you bro but by my standards that is totally unacceptable especially for a brand new vehicle! Mazda Cda should definitely stand by their product esp being their flagship model. I know your dealer is responsive and apologetic but least they could do is provide you a similar loaner that you can use with a working infotainment as that is what I would demand for anyway that the vehicle is still under factory warranty. A week to 2 weeks should be acceptable but a month? Shouldn't be....just my 2 cents

Wow that's a pain having no infotainment at all for a month...not sure about you bro but by my standards that is totally unacceptable especially for a brand new vehicle! Mazda Cda should definitely stand by their product esp being their flagship model. I know your dealer is responsive and apologetic but least they could do is provide you a similar loaner that you can use with a working infotainment as that is what I would demand for anyway that the vehicle is still under factory warranty. A week to 2 weeks should be acceptable but a month? Shouldn't be....just my 2 cents

Agreed! We all know the screen is the interface to many settings for the car. How can Mazda expect a customer to just live with that condition? At a minimum, a working loaner should've been offered.

Agreed, guys...I hear you on the loaner. Truth is, I was working from home a few weeks, and it was over Christmas. It wasn't critical, so I just put up with it.

They installed the new screen Friday, and everything seems to be back to normal. They washed the car, and changed the oil for me at no cost. (it was almost due).

Agreed, guys...I hear you on the loaner. Truth is, I was working from home a few weeks, and it was over Christmas. It wasn't critical, so I just put up with it.

They installed the new screen Friday, and everything seems to be back to normal. They washed the car, and changed the oil for me at no cost. (it was almost due).

Nice...at least they did something for you for the trouble...

Just bought a brandnew 16 cx-9 signature starting May and the system has crashed and rebooted twice. I've plugged in my old iphone 5 as a iPod for music, no music SD cards, and still crashes.

Anyone has got positive feedbacks from dealers? Learned a lot about the ways to contain it, any good ways to fix it once and for all?

Back