2016 CX-9 Infotainment System Rebooting and Freezing

I got my car back from the dealership. They told me that they are still waiting for an updated firmware to fix this and they are aware of the issue. There is nothing they can do now but to wait for the firmware to come out.

Sad that this is the case. :(

I got my car back from the dealership. They told me that they are still waiting for an updated firmware to fix this and they are aware of the issue. There is nothing they can do now but to wait for the firmware to come out.

Sad that this is the case. :(

I have the NAV reboot issue, not the crash issue and Mazda in Mexico will replace my unit. A firmware can be released in 2 months or 2 years. Request an immediate replacement is the way to go, in your case, I think. It's my personal opinion.

Just encountered this problem today as well. Everything works fine from the home, music to navigation display. But when I enter an address to navigate, it reboots the system after a minute or so then it goes back to where the last display is. I cancelled the destination just to troubleshoot it and there it goes, no more rebooting.

And when I tried another address to navigate, the rebooting comes back again. The same scenario.

So I decided to stop using the navigation for now. Its seems like the problem is the navigation firmware? How do I fix this? Anybody had experienced this? Thanks.

It was a very hot day yesterday so decided it was a good day to go to dealer and test drive the new CX9 and make sure the AC system is strong enough, it is, takes a little longer but it's sufficient. Seats are just ok, I miss the seat base tilt but I can live with the way it's set up. The front end is HUGE, it'll take some time to get used to especially during city parking.

Infotainment was working great until I entered a destination for the Nav, and as it was routing, the screen went blank and rebooted then the Mazda logo was the only thing on the screen ??? Dealer tried to brush it off saying it probably didn't have the latest firmware yet.

I think the issue with the rebooting is coming from the navigation system, the infotainment worked flawlessly before I started playing around with the nav.

I read somewhere to turn off navigation all I have to do is eject the SD card and it defaults to an on screen compass, is that true? If so, I'll go back for another test drive, eject the SD card and see if it reboots.

Last edited:
[2016 Mazda CX9 GT]
Have the same issue as others have spotted - with infotainment system crashing. Only way I've figured out to save the system from restarting is by leaving the USB ports open - without thumb drive / mobile phone attached.

I used a 32GB FAT32 formatted thumb drive. Tried different manufactured drives & size - but no help.

[2016 Mazda CX9 GT]
Have the same issue as others have spotted - with infotainment system crashing. Only way I've figured out to save the system from restarting is by leaving the USB ports open - without thumb drive / mobile phone attached.

I used a 32GB FAT32 formatted thumb drive. Tried different manufactured drives & size - but no help.

did you try ejecting the navigation SD card to turn off the NAV system ? it worked for me when I went for a second test drive, no reboots with the SD card ejected, pretty sure the reboots are caused by the navigation system.

Hi Everyone,

Today I got my infotainment firmware upgraded to:

59.00.441 NA N

Since my infotainment system blanks out often, at least 2 to 3 times a week, I will keep everyone posted if the update has fixed this.

Thanks.

Nice, please let us know how it goes. Be interested to see if it maybe speeds up the unit as well.

So even after this firmware update, the screen still went blank once today!
😤😤

I will keep you posted by next week and see if it is less frequent...

So even after this firmware update, the screen still went blank once today!
����

I will keep you posted by next week and see if it is less frequent...

that's not good,

so do you need to stop the vehicle to reboot if there is a blank screen ? or can you use the back-nav-mute method while still driving.

if latter, that's annoying as hell but livable until they get it fixed,

if former, that's just unacceptable.

I manually updated to 59.00.441 NA N tonight. Will be interesting to see my results with it.

Forty9er

Did you do the update yourself without the dealer? If so will you tell me how you got the firmware so I can do the same? Thanks!

Jgriffter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forty9er

Did you do the update yourself without the dealer? If so will you tell me how you got the firmware so I can do the same? Thanks!

Jgriffter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct, did without dealer. Took about 20 - 30 minutes.

I'll post something tomorrow.

Here you go! If you have any questions I can try to help (for faster response PM me), but this was my first time doing this as well. Im not sure how the dealer does the updates, they may follow these steps or they may not (Im assuming they do).

YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE RISK OF BRICKING (BREAKING!!) YOUR UNIT. IF THAT IS TOO MUCH OF A RISK, DONT MANUALLY DO THE UPDATE AND LET THE DEALER DO THE UPDATE!!!!

Youll need to format a 2.0 USB flash drive that is between 2-16GB FAT32! The only thing that should be on the flash drive are the two update files (make sure to download firmware 59.00.441 NA if you have the North American Mazda Connect/Infotainment unit).

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...nect-all-firmware-version-only-downloads.html

Make sure to use the touchscreen during the update process and not the dial knob as stated in step 6 of the following post!

You may have to register to that site. I did and they have some useful information regarding the infotainment unit.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...714-infotainment-project-194.html#post1342010

The other cool tool they have is the All-in-one (AIO) tweak tool (I used version 1.5). You basically are able to tweak the infotainment system with some cool features/apps. For instance, you can add a speedometer to display. You can remove the warning that displays on start-up and several other features (ability to watch videos from a USB drive!! Still working on getting this to work in mine. I can see the video but not able to hear it).

IMG_20161013_065125.jpg

If youre interested in getting more information on that, please go here.
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...io-electronics/122458-aio-all-one-tweaks.html

Like I stated above, you can brick your unit using that AIO tool. I was able to add some of the features with no issues (I used the tool after I updated to 59.00.441).

Good luck, if you have any questions post here or PM me.

that's not good,

so do you need to stop the vehicle to reboot if there is a blank screen ? or can you use the back-nav-mute method while still driving.

if latter, that's annoying as hell but livable until they get it fixed,

if former, that's just unacceptable.

I have that issue on V58 and yes, you have to shut down and start up your vehicle again for the screen to come back up. The soft reboot won't work.

I can't believe V59 doesn't fix this... complete BS!

Here you go! If you have any question’s I can try to help (for faster response PM me), but this was my first time doing this as well. I’m not sure how the dealer does the updates, they may follow these steps or they may not (I’m assuming they do).

YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE RISK OF BRICKING (BREAKING!!) YOUR UNIT. IF THAT IS TOO MUCH OF A RISK, DON’T MANUALLY DO THE UPDATE AND LET THE DEALER DO THE UPDATE!!!!

You’ll need to format a 2.0 USB flash drive that is between 2-16GB FAT32! The only thing that should be on the flash drive are the two update files (make sure to download firmware 59.00.441 NA if you have the North American Mazda Connect/Infotainment unit).

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...nect-all-firmware-version-only-downloads.html

Make sure to use the touchscreen during the update process and not the dial knob as stated in step 6 of the following post!

You may have to register to that site. I did and they have some useful information regarding the infotainment unit.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...714-infotainment-project-194.html#post1342010

The other cool tool they have is the All-in-one (AIO) tweak tool (I used version 1.5). You basically are able to tweak the infotainment system with some cool features/apps. For instance, you can add a speedometer to display. You can remove the warning that displays on start-up and several other features (ability to watch videos from a USB drive!! Still working on getting this to work in mine. I can see the video but not able to hear it).

IMG_20161013_065125.jpg

If you’re interested in getting more information on that, please go here.
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...io-electronics/122458-aio-all-one-tweaks.html

Like I stated above, you can brick your unit using that AIO tool. I was able to add some of the features with no issues (I used the tool after I updated to 59.00.441).

Good luck, if you have any questions post here or PM me.

Thanks much for the great directions! I heard about the AIO tool but I saw there were a number of folks complaining about bricking so I never tried it myself. Glad it is working for you! I will read up on it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why blame the software? Software is identical 1s & 0s in every car from the factory. Hardware can have varying values. Try new hardware.

that's not good,

As this is my wife drives it daily she is not able to do it...or rather it might distract her so I have not asked her to try it.

But the good news is that it only rebooted that one time..so let's see how it goes!

Why blame the software? Software is identical 1s & 0s in every car from the factory. Hardware can have varying values. Try new hardware.
Exactly!

The infotainment system in our Mazda's is a closed system with fixed platform which has the same hardware and software. So it's totally legit when you say it's a hardware issue as any hardware components may be unstable to perform due to all kind of possible reasons and one should try to get your whole infotainment head unit replaced if they're having problems others don't have unless Mazda knows how to do component level repair.

I have a new problem with my infotainment system.

The Nav system was stuck on the "Loading" screen with the animation thing turning in circles. It did it for about 2 hours.... I tried removing the SD car and then re installing, shutting the car down and re starting....neither worked. I did not try the hard reboot.
The same day, the infotainment rebooted 2 times and I got the "Service Past Due" notification on my cluster display.....

This was the worst noted day sofar....there are otherdays where the system works flawlessly..

Prior to the firmware update, I had the Nav screen stuck on "Loading" on a couple of occasions.
In both cases a hard reboot solved the issue.

Fingers crossed that it continues; I've not had any issues since the update.

Back