2016 CX-9 Infotainment System Rebooting and Freezing

I had 2 reboots last saturday when there is no usb connected in my cx9 so the usb dongle is not the culprit.

My wife connected yesterday the Galaxy S5 and the unit reboot again.

And in the afternoon, the unit reboot twice (with no memory or smartphone connected).

Ideas?

I will report this to Mazda. I don't know if this is related with the sd card, the firmware or a faulty unit.

IMG_20160813_150833.jpg

I had 2 reboots last saturday when there is no usb connected in my cx9 so the usb dongle is not the culprit.

My wife connected yesterday the Galaxy S5 and the unit reboot again.

And in the afternoon, the unit reboot twice (with no memory or smartphone connected).

Ideas?

I will report this to Mazda. I don't know if this is related with the sd card, the firmware or a faulty unit.

IMG_20160813_150833.jpg

sorry to hear of Mazda Connect infotainment issues on the new CX-9, that is disheartening, Mazda knows of this reboot since 2013 on the sedan models and haven't even fixed it, I did come across this forum post regarding firmware updates...

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/98202-mzd-connect-all-firmware-version-only-downloads.html

it's way beyond my technical capabilities but maybe someone here can figured it out........ just trying to help, I want to get the new CX-9 too but all this re-booting scares me.....

it's not like the good ol' days where you can just swap out for a nice Pioneer or Kenwood standard double DIN head unit.

sorry to hear of Mazda Connect infotainment issues on the new CX-9, that is disheartening, Mazda knows of this reboot since 2013 on the sedan models and haven't even fixed it, I did come across this forum post regarding firmware updates...

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/98202-mzd-connect-all-firmware-version-only-downloads.html

it's way beyond my technical capabilities but maybe someone here can figured it out........ just trying to help, I want to get the new CX-9 too but all this re-booting scares me.....

it's not like the good ol' days where you can just swap out for a nice Pioneer or Kenwood standard double DIN head unit.

Even when in the past you was able to swap the stereo by a Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, etc standard unit... this is a new car and we expect everything to work 100%. This is not a 10,000 USD Toyota Yaris. I already contacted my dealer and I will open a ticket with Mazda support in my country.

It's really sad to think that despite Mazda being aware of this issues/ problem since they started the infotainment system, it seems like they never address it, fix it once and for all or change the OS. At least that what we all think and feel and could have expected more since it's already a couple of years old Mazda technology.

It's really sad to think that despite Mazda being aware of this issues/ problem since they started the infotainment system, it seems like they never address it, fix it once and for all or change the OS. At least that what we all think and feel and could have expected more since it's already a couple of years old Mazda technology.

Agreed, it doesn't look like Mazda addresses any of it's customers concerns, that infotainment system has been out since 2013 and 3 years later still rebooting on their heavily advertised flagship $45K Signature CX-9 ? that's unacceptable.... like what cubanomx said, this ain;t no cheap Yaris, this is some serious money we're spendiing here, reminds me of the 2007 - 2015 transfer cases, same junk for 9 years without any changes, thus I wouldn't hold my breath on the seat tilt function of the new CX-9, doesn't seem like they care or address anything unless NHTSA gets involved or there's a fine involved.

Agreed, it doesn't look like Mazda addresses any of it's customers concerns, that infotainment system has been out since 2013 and 3 years later still rebooting on their heavily advertised flagship $45K Signature CX-9 ? that's unacceptable.... like what cubanomx said, this ain;t no cheap Yaris, this is some serious money we're spendiing here, reminds me of the 2007 - 2015 transfer cases, same junk for 9 years without any changes, thus I wouldn't hold my breath on the seat tilt function of the new CX-9, doesn't seem like they care or address anything unless NHTSA gets involved or there's a fine involved.

I received this email from Mazda North American Operations asking for feedbacks on my experience with my new CX9 Signature:

"We hope youre enjoying your new Mazda CX-9 and the benefits of being a part of the Mazda family.

We have a passion to design and engineer the best vehicles possible. As a Mazda Owner, you have a passion for driving, and that is why we invite you to be a part of our exclusive "virtual focus group" to help us learn more about your relationship with your new Mazda.

Please click here to complete our survey. The link will be available for 14 days, and the survey will only take about 15 minutes to complete. You can even save your responses part of the way through and return to finish the survey within 14 days of receiving this e-mail.

We'll send occasional notes to touch base with you in the future to make sure you're fully enjoying your Mazda experience.

We appreciate your time and participation. Your feedback will help us to build even better Mazda products in the future."

So I did took the chance to address the issues I did have from infotainment freezing and rebooting, underpowered AC, below average mpg as advertised, and the 6 way driver power seat issue.

I will not be expecting any actions from Mazda HQ but at least it's a shot in the dark and the more feedbacks and complaints they will get, the more chances of it being addressed and getting fixed.

So did anybody here get this email?

I received this email from Mazda North American Operations asking for feedbacks on my experience with my new CX9 Signature:

"We hope youre enjoying your new Mazda CX-9 and the benefits of being a part of the Mazda family.

We have a passion to design and engineer the best vehicles possible. As a Mazda Owner, you have a passion for driving, and that is why we invite you to be a part of our exclusive "virtual focus group" to help us learn more about your relationship with your new Mazda.

Please click here to complete our survey. The link will be available for 14 days, and the survey will only take about 15 minutes to complete. You can even save your responses part of the way through and return to finish the survey within 14 days of receiving this e-mail.

We'll send occasional notes to touch base with you in the future to make sure you're fully enjoying your Mazda experience.

We appreciate your time and participation. Your feedback will help us to build even better Mazda products in the future."

So I did took the chance to address the issues I did have from infotainment freezing and rebooting, underpowered AC, below average mpg as advertised, and the 6 way driver power seat issue.

I will not be expecting any actions from Mazda HQ but at least it's a shot in the dark and the more feedbacks and complaints they will get, the more chances of it being addressed and getting fixed.

So did anybody here get this email?

This is just a survey, this will not solve any issues at all. I have no response from the dealer (only an email saying they will contact the dealer head of service) but don't hear nothing back.

I will open a ticket today with Mazda MX and will go until the end of this issue.

see this thread last post, firmware Version v31 seems promising.....

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/64298-infotainment-system-enough-enough-13.html

also, not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing but the developer of the Mazda Connect infotainment system Johnson Controls was sold....could go either way, Visteon might put it as a priority or just bought out Johnson Controls to get rid of competition and let it die

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140114/OEM10/140119813/visteon-to-buy-electronics-unit-of-johnson-controls-for-$265m

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/64298-infotainment-system-enough-enough-13.html

also, not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing but the developer of the Mazda Connect infotainment system Johnson Controls was sold....could go either way, Visteon might put it as a priority or just bought out Johnson Controls to get rid of competition and let it die

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140114/OEM10/140119813/visteon-to-buy-electronics-unit-of-johnson-controls-for-$265m

But I believe cx9 turbo are delivered with firmware v58 as factory default. we cannot go back, I think.

I contacted Mazda MX support in order to report the issue regarding the reboot. They cannot help, they told me I need to go to service for revision. I will schedule a check.

This is just a survey, this will not solve any issues at all. I have no response from the dealer (only an email saying they will contact the dealer head of service) but don't hear nothing back.

I will open a ticket today with Mazda MX and will go until the end of this issue.

And just like I said, I'm not expecting anything but who knows. Let's at least try to be optimistic here and proactive. I already had brought this up with my dealer and as what they have advised, it's always better that HQ will be address directly rather than through the channels/ dealers.

That article is over two years old...

That article is over two years old...

EXACTLY, two years old, and rebooting/freezing since 2014 and still nothing done !
and on the newly released Signature 2016 CX-9 , unacceptable. check out the CX-5 forums, everyone had high ups when the new CX-9 came out figured the latest firmware will fix but obviously not.

I bet it has something to do with the cheap navigation system.
I had an old Garmin that would lock up and freeze EVERYTIME at the same EXACT location,
the problem turned out to be the Map Source needed to change from one map file to a different map file
and the Nav system couldn't handle it.

hmmmm....I wonder maybe on any Mazda models infotainments (Mazda3, 6, CX-5, CX-9, etc) without NAV if they reboot/freeze ?

if not, there's your answer.

Last edited:
Anyone experiencing Bluetooth reboot issues with the infotainment system... What phone are you using? I have a Nexus 6P, I think I narrowed down my issue. When I first turn in the car, if I use the phone, to make a call or play music, before it has a chance to connect the Bluetooth to the infotainment system, the infotainment system hangs, screens goes blank and I have to turn off the car. Not until I see the Bluetooth symbol show up on the infotainment system I can touch my phone.
Also having issues hanging up calls, it doesn't respond, I have to press the music button to exit the screen. Contact synch stops midway and never finishes.
Anyone experience anything similar?
ALSO, I use a USB stick and have it on all the time. Never have an issue. Most of my problem is when I used to listen to music on my phone. The reason why i actually started using the USB was because of The hang ups. But now I can see why is doing it. Is there phone audio is engaged at all while it's trying to connect, three infotainment system hangs. Try it. Turn the car on and immediately start making a phone call. Like press the ignition ON and dial at the same time, you'll see. It won't transfer the car over the car's Bluetooth, it'll crash or contact import will hang.

Anyone experiencing Bluetooth reboot issues with the infotainment system... What phone are you using? I have a Nexus 6P, I think I narrowed down my issue. When I first turn in the car, if I use the phone, to make a call or play music, before it has a chance to connect the Bluetooth to the infotainment system, the infotainment system hangs, screens goes blank and I have to turn off the car. Not until I see the Bluetooth symbol show up on the infotainment system I can touch my phone.
Also having issues hanging up calls, it doesn't respond, I have to press the music button to exit the screen. Contact synch stops midway and never finishes.
Anyone experience anything similar?
ALSO, I use a USB stick and have it on all the time. Never have an issue. Most of my problem is when I used to listen to music on my phone. The reason why i actually started using the USB was because of The hang ups. But now I can see why is doing it. Is there phone audio is engaged at all while it's trying to connect, three infotainment system hangs. Try it. Turn the car on and immediately start making a phone call. Like press the ignition ON and dial at the same time, you'll see. It won't transfer the car over the car's Bluetooth, it'll crash or contact import will hang.

What rom are you running? I was having issues on the Android N Developer Preview 5 so I just flashed the newest Pure Nexus rom with the Franco kernel. It's only been a day but I haven't had any issues with the bluetooth yet so I am crossing my fingers. I don't think it'll fix it, but hoping.

Everything is stock factory on both, the car and the phone. I'm running the latest and greatest version for both.

I have the signature model and it has blanked out on me about 20 times already in the past 2 weeks. I have an appointment with mazda this coming monday so i'll also keep everyone posted. I did call Mazda directly and they seem to know if the issue but the said to bring it to the dealer.

The blank screen also means no screen when you put the car in reverse!

I have the signature model and it has blanked out on me about 20 times already in the past 2 weeks. I have an appointment with mazda this coming monday so i'll also keep everyone posted. I did call Mazda directly and they seem to know if the issue but the said to bring it to the dealer.

Keep us posted widdy88. Surely a serious thing going on with your infotainment system. I'm glad mine has not failed me again after that freezing and rebooting I experienced a week after I bought mine.

I have the same problem. Took mine to the dealership yesterday and they told me that my phone wasn't compatible... and to call Mazda Hands free system customer care. I did and they said I had a system issue and gave me a case number. I highly suggest you contact them first 800-430-0153 and get that case number. Either way...hoping to hear what the resolution to your problem is. I'm waiting for mine to crash again so I can call back and make another appointment.

While I was out yesterday, my nav suddenly crashed. It was stuck on the "loading navigation" screen. Luckily, I was still able to access everything else. The only way to get it back was to do a hard reset.

Back