2016 CX-9 Infotainment System Rebooting and Freezing

jgriffter

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Just bought a 2016 CX-9 Signature last week. Very nice car but one of the things that is bugging me is the frequent rebooting and/or freezing of the infotainment system. I have noticed in a 100 mile drive that the system rebooted itself three times. Also on other trips the navigation map info is lost and needs to reload, with a blank screen except for "navigation loading" message. Once the whole system locked up with a blank screen but radio still working. Stopping and starting the car or rebooting the system seems to get things going again but it is happening often. Is anyone else having similar problems with the new CX-9? If so, any recommendations? Thanks.

I have owned my signature for about one month (1000 miles) and have not experienced any issues like you mentioned.

Just bought a 2016 CX-9 Signature last week. Very nice car but one of the things that is bugging me is the frequent rebooting and/or freezing of the infotainment system. I have noticed in a 100 mile drive that the system rebooted itself three times. Also on other trips the navigation map info is lost and needs to reload, with a blank screen except for "navigation loading" message. Once the whole system locked up with a blank screen but radio still working. Stopping and starting the car or rebooting the system seems to get things going again but it is happening often. Is anyone else having similar problems with the new CX-9? If so, any recommendations? Thanks.

You have a brand new car with a warranty. Don't try to troubleshoot these things yourself; if you mess around with the wrong thing, you potentially give the dealer an out to cover it under warranty.

Pull over and take a video each time it happens, so inevitably, when you bring it back to the dealer, and they say "We couldn't replicate the problem" you can show them the video so they can see for themselves.

What version of the OS is on your '16s?

9.3.2 on the iPhone 6s.

I read in the quick start guide that you should not leave anything plugged in to the USB when you shut down the car and restart it later. I have an older iPhone I use to play songs from my library that I was leaving plugged in. I am going to unplug that and drive for a few days to see if that makes a difference. I am also going to drop by the dealer as well to get front windows tinted so I will see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a "hard reset" when the vehicle is running.
Press and hold "Nav", "Mute" (volume knob), and "Return" (curved arrow) simultaneously until the screen goes blank; and then release all buttons.
It takes a couple of minutes to come back online, but like rebooting a computer it resolves a number of issues.
If that doesn't cure the problem, visit the dealer and have them reinstall the firmware.

Within the first 200 miles, my navigation locked up and the hard reset cured the issue.
(Currently have over 1,100 miles on the odometer and the problem hasn't recurred.)

Do a "hard reset" when the vehicle is running.
Press and hold "Nav", "Mute" (volume knob), and "Return" (curved arrow) simultaneously until the screen goes blank; and then release all buttons.
It takes a couple of minutes to come back online, but like rebooting a computer it resolves a number of issues.
If that doesn't cure the problem, visit the dealer and have them reinstall the firmware.

Within the first 200 miles, my navigation locked up and the hard reset cured the issue.
(Currently have over 1,100 miles on the odometer and the problem hasn't recurred.)

Thanks. I have done the hard reset but the system still crashes. It does come back by itself or by restarting the car so I am hoping when I go to the dealer today I can show them while it is crashed. That will be luck.

Do any of you keep a USB device plugged in all the time? Wondering if that makes a difference since the quick start guide says to always unplug USB devices before starting the car to avoid Bluetooth or stability issues. Never had a car that required that?! I have always kept an old iPhone or iPod plugged in to listen to high quality music files. Thanks everyone.

My phone is unplugged when I first start the vehicle, but is usually plugged in before the infotainment system fully boots.
It sounds as though the dealer needs to reinstall your firmware.

BTW, I had the MazdaConnect system in my former '14 Mazda3 and current '16 Miata ... also running without issue.
The Mazda3 was one of the "pioneers" and did require a couple of firmware updates before it was stable.
My CX-9 is running the factory-installed firmware without issue.

I leave my I pod with most of my music on it plugged in all the time. I did have one system lock up but it came back to life on its own. It hasn't happen again since, at least not yet. I have only had my 2016 CX-9 GT for 3 weeks now. My last one was an 07 Cx-9 sport with no tech stuff so this has been quite the leap into the future so to say. Though I'm lovin it. My Ac is a little less effective than my 07 but I live in the Buffalo NY area so not a big deal for me though, this has been the hottest summer I can remember.

Thanks for the replies. I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they checked it out. It was working when I brought it in - figures! They checked the firmware and told me the firmware I had in the car was more recent than why they had to use. They suspect it is a firmware issue but I will keep driving it and hope the system settles down. If a firmware comes out I will check in to it.

Just encountered this problem today as well. Everything works fine from the home, music to navigation display. But when I enter an address to navigate, it reboots the system after a minute or so then it goes back to where the last display is. I cancelled the destination just to troubleshoot it and there it goes, no more rebooting.

And when I tried another address to navigate, the rebooting comes back again. The same scenario.

So I decided to stop using the navigation for now. Its seems like the problem is the navigation firmware? How do I fix this? Anybody had experienced this? Thanks.

Sorry. I just see this post today. I have exactly the SAME problem you have.

In my CX9 GT AWD I experienced 3 times now the same issue. Always happens when using the NAV (already going to destination). The system crash/hangs and reboot. A text appears "navigation loading" and the radio still works. I already reported this to my dealer but I don't experienced the issue anymore since 2 weeks now.

Please notice I removed and reinserted the SD card with GPS and this helps. Try yourself to see if this improve your stability. I don't have any smartphone connected, just an USB with fat32 and lot of mp3 folders.

Sorry. I just see this post today. I have exactly the SAME problem you have.

In my CX9 GT AWD I experienced 3 times now the same issue. Always happens when using the NAV (already going to destination). The system crash/hangs and reboot. A text appears "navigation loading" and the radio still works. I already reported this to my dealer but I don't experienced the issue anymore since 2 weeks now.

Please notice I removed and reinserted the SD card with GPS and this helps. Try yourself to see if this improve your stability. I don't have any smartphone connected, just an USB with fat32 and lot of mp3 folders.

Thanks! I have been running for the last few days without a lot of reboots so I am hoping the system is stabilizing. I did notice that when I pulled the iPod out of the car to add songs then plugged it back in to the stereo, I would get more system hang ups. Maybe that was part of the problem - it might need to index the songs.

I have not been using the navigation much either so I will try that and see if the system starts to reboot again.

Thanks! I have been running for the last few days without a lot of reboots so I am hoping the system is stabilizing. I did notice that when I pulled the iPod out of the car to add songs then plugged it back in to the stereo, I would get more system hang ups. Maybe that was part of the problem - it might need to index the songs.

I have not been using the navigation much either so I will try that and see if the system starts to reboot again.

Just an isolated incident on mine. It seemed like on that day, the nav started acting up and rebooting while being used to navigate. Like you said jgriftter, the rest of the functions was working fine like the Pandora and the rest. But luckily, the rebooting was gone the following day. Entered tons of random destinations just to see if it'll reboot again but none. I guess it fixes by itself which I'm hoping it did.

Last edited:
I had a highway trip (400 miles) and after 20 min of travel the NAV starting rebooting again. Very annoying.

The audio from the radio is not lost during reboot and after the reboot the NAV remember the destination, but after 2 minutes, reboot again and again.

Then, I removed the USB memory sticks with mp3 music (1 x 16GB and 1 x 32GB) USB memory dongles and the problem not longer appear during the entire trip.

Perhaps we need USB3 memory and smaller thumb drives??

NTFS is not accepted so I'm using FAT32 formatted drives.

seems like Mazda's infotainment system is not stable,

software updates greys out some GPS functions like local searches or WIFI connection to make it stable, same company as previous CX9's : Johnson Controls is horrible. Also, some owners suggested using smaller USB drives and music songs WITHOUT any symbols or too long song titles seemed to help.

http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/2014-mazda3-infotainment-problems-yes-you-too-call-mazda-32545/page2/

Seems like only solution so far is to hard reset by pulling some fuses,

http://youtu.be/obLsDhg0R_A

Last edited:
seems like Mazda's infotainment system is not stable,

software updates greys out some GPS functions like local searches or WIFI connection to make it stable, same company as previous CX9's : Johnson Controls is horrible. Also, some owners suggested using smaller USB drives and music songs WITHOUT any symbols or too long song titles seemed to help.

http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/2014-mazda3-infotainment-problems-yes-you-too-call-mazda-32545/page2/

Seems like only solution so far is to hard reset by pulling some fuses,

http://youtu.be/obLsDhg0R_A

My wife drive it the cx9 this week (one day) and used the NAV. The usb 32GB was already connected so she experienced the NAV reboot issue (the same I experienced in my long travel last weekend). I explain to her this is perhaps related with the 32GB usb because in my long trip, when I removed the USB, I don't have the issue anymore. But she answered: why?. And she is right! this is a brand new SUV, we don't expect this to happen.

I will report the issue to Mazda dealer to check what they need to say.

Back