Switch to higher weight oil to help with consumption?

smetzger

03 P5 (x2), 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody
My protege is starting to burn oil :( burned about a quart over 1200 miles.
It has 226k miles and is rusting apart, so at this point I am just trying to keep it alive as long as possible.

Would switching to a higher weight oil help?
If so, what weight? 10w30 or jump all the way to 10w40

Start by telling us what you use. How you drive it. What's been done? There's more to it than just oil weight.
You using full synthetic? What brand? What oil filter? What rpm's do you drive at and how often do you over Rev it? You ever used seafoam? You ever done a radiator flush?

Lets see...
stock, new radiator, new water pump,
I use full synthetic 5w30, whatever is the cheapest oil deal that Advance Auto has at the time.
Change oil every 3500 miles
Never over reved, This is an automatic that my daughter is driving.
I use seafoam every 15k miles, but in the brake booster intake. I do NOT use it in the crankcase.

Thanks for the clarification, I can definitely see what the problem here is...you need a turbo for your daughters car. The oil that should be going to a turbo is just exiting the vehicle through the cylinders. A properly installed turbo will clear this right up. I too suffer from the same problem and I understand how it drives you nuts.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I use seafoam every 15k miles, but in the brake booster intake. I do NOT use it in the crankcase.

I think you should use it in the crank case... It may help release your sticking oil rings.

(unless your oil drain holes are already plugged up.)

Lets see...
stock, new radiator, new water pump,
I use full synthetic 5w30, whatever is the cheapest oil deal that Advance Auto has at the time.
Change oil every 3500 miles
Never over reved, This is an automatic that my daughter is driving.

My car will burn a quart of synthetic over a 5000 mile OCI, while conventional or synthetic blend is not burned at all.

Try a conventional high mileage like Pennzoil, Quaker State, or Valvoline.

I agree with putting seafoam in the crankcase, try sticking with the same oil brand too. Switching it up may not be good. Just my opinion.
I use full synthetic royal purple, it's back and forth with burning oil. Sometimes it's a lot other times its just barely anything. I put seafoam in the gas and crankcase at the same time and it seemed to help a bit.

Back