New Member here: I just test drove a cx 9 signature - "dreadful A/C" is correct

Took my Azami AWD (I'm in Australia) to the snow last weekend. Heating worked brilliantly. Windows unfogged faster than my mate's current model Volvo XC90 and cabin warmed well throughout (including to the kids in the third row).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to agree - even though I'm the one who started this post :) after a test drive in 100+ weather where the car had been sitting for 2 days. I didn't even bother driving a KIA - and I wound up choosing the CX-9 over the XC-90 - the volvo was 15K more expensive and simply not worth 15K more....

I'll also withdraw my previous complaint.
After living with and driving my new CX-9 for nearly 2 months and over 1,300 miles in numerous 100 degree + temperatures, I find the A/C to be more than adequate.

At maximum fan speed it DOES tend to be noisy, yet after a heat soak it still manages to cool the cavernous space to a comfortable temperature in a reasonable amount of time.
Like most vehicles, when the engine is operating at low speeds it takes longer to cool, but at 2,000 rpm or greater it does a fine job,

Too bad automobile manufacturers don't provide BTU specs for their AC systems. :(

I'd be interested to know how the AC system in my '16 Durango with the Hemi V8 compares to that in the Mazda. My assumption would be that the Mazda would have a lower BTU unit based on the much-smaller engine's ability to drive it, but that assumption may be ignorant.

Last edited:
I live in Naples, FL which is very HOT and humid and haven't noticed the AC system being any different than any of my other cars. Seems to take the same amount of time to cool the inside of the car as all the other cars as well. Once the car is cool, my wife ends up turning off the AC vent on her side cause she get's too cold. My kids in the back always say they are cold as well, so no complaints here.

Just read a review of a guy saying that he couldn't get the front fronts to point high enough to blow directly into his face as they are set too low. Can an owner weigh in on this as to whether that is the case? That would be very odd if you can get the air pointed to your face. When it's hot, that's where you want it. This would be a real bummer.

I really don't know what you guys are complaining about, specially the ones who don't even own one or have driven one for any length of time other than a test drive. We've had over 100 deg weather here in Charleston, SC the last 2 weeks plus 80% humidity and the a/c works just like it does in any of the other vehicles I've been driving, except for my Touareg. It has quad AC and gets cooler quicker than any vehicle I have owned. We have a 2016 Honda Pilot and a couple of Tahoes in our company fleet and they don't seem to cool any quicker than my wife's CX-9. I wouldn't have even noticed it except for all the complaining. To each his own, if you like the cheaply made Sorrento or ugly Pilot, good for you. Why even get in on the "owner's" forum if you don't own a CX-9. I bought the CX-9 (our third one) because of its driving dynamics and quality of build and I used to only buy Hondas but their quality has been suspect for several years now, since they've started building them in Alabama. Have you guys driven a KIA after its 2 yrs old? It a rattle trap by then.

I agree. I had a family trip (400 miles) last week and the AC works without any issue. I notice is less "powerful" compared with my old cx9 v6, but I'm fine with it at the end. Before get my 2nd CX9 I test drive the Pathfinder and Pilot and the CX9 is the best in terms of driving dynamics, interior materials and general build.

I tend to agree - even though I'm the one who started this post :) after a test drive in 100+ weather where the car had been sitting for 2 days. I didn't even bother driving a KIA - and I wound up choosing the CX-9 over the XC-90 - the volvo was 15K more expensive and simply not worth 15K more....

Volvo is more expensive and resell value is terrible. I had a volvo and have really bad experiences. I will never purchase a Volvo again in my life or recommend it at all either.

Too bad automobile manufacturers don't provide BTU specs for their AC systems. :(

I'd be interested to know how the AC system in my '16 Durango with the Hemi V8 compares to that in the Mazda. My assumption would be that the Mazda would have a lower BTU unit based on the much-smaller engine's ability to drive it, but that assumption may be ignorant.

User "premio53" already post two links where we can check the compressor in Mazda CX9 V6 and the Mazda CX9 5 Turbo are identical.

New Member here: I just test drove a cx 9 signature - "dreadful A/C" is correct

User "premio53" already post two links where we can check the compressor in Mazda CX9 V6 and the Mazda CX9 5 Turbo are identical.
So you trust the parts information from J.C. Whitney? Go to Mazda dealer and that's the right place to find out if the compressors are identical between 1st-gen and 2nd-gen CX-9's!

Just read a review of a guy saying that he couldn't get the front fronts to point high enough to blow directly into his face as they are set too low. Can an owner weigh in on this as to whether that is the case? That would be very odd if you can get the air pointed to your face. When it's hot, that's where you want it. This would be a real bummer.

Weird. I'm 5'10" and I can blow my face....err....there must be a better way to say that.

Not necessarily. With enough complaints, they might be inclined (once they figure out how to address the issue) to issue a service bulletin. Afterward, any complaints will be fixed per the service bulletin and, usually, covered under warranty. So, there's hope.

So you trust the parts information from J.C. Whitney? Go to Mazda dealer and that's the right place to find out if the compressors are identical between 1st-gen and 2nd-gen CX-9's!

I don't even know what is "J.C.Whitney". But the website advertise / sell the compressor for CX9 2015 and cx9 2016 and looks identical.

Is not a trustable source?. I don't know...

I have a theory about the AC on the car after driving it for 2+ months and having the dealer look at the AC.

The AC system itself works great, my car blows 40-45 degree air out of it when the AC is on. I noticed over the last couple of days that when I close my sunroof shade, the car instantly feels better and cools down faster. My theory is that the front acoustical glass is amazing at blocking sound but lacks any UV blocking capabilities. The AC is pumping fine but can't keep up with the greenhouse effect caused by a lack of UV blocking. I've noticed my legs always feel warm in the car like the sun is beating down on them. I don't notice this in my wife's SUV.

Anyway, just a theory that I don't know how to prove. Closing the sunroof shade sure does help though.

I have a theory about the AC on the car after driving it for 2+ months and having the dealer look at the AC.

The AC system itself works great, my car blows 40-45 degree air out of it when the AC is on. I noticed over the last couple of days that when I close my sunroof shade, the car instantly feels better and cools down faster. My theory is that the front acoustical glass is amazing at blocking sound but lacks any UV blocking capabilities. The AC is pumping fine but can't keep up with the greenhouse effect caused by a lack of UV blocking. I've noticed my legs always feel warm in the car like the sun is beating down on them. I don't notice this in my wife's SUV.

Anyway, just a theory that I don't know how to prove. Closing the sunroof shade sure does help though.

Imagine if it had a panoramic roof with the shade open?

Imagine if it had a panoramic roof with the shade open?

Based upon some of the comments from other posters, I got my CX9 windshield, sunroof and side windows tinted with the almost clear Llumar UV tint. The car is much cooler inside now when in the sun and the AC is able to cool the car much more quickly. Made a big difference.

Based upon some of the comments from other posters, I got my CX9 windshield, sunroof and side windows tinted with the almost clear Llumar UV tint. The car is much cooler inside now when in the sun and the AC is able to cool the car much more quickly. Made a big difference.

Great. I might get mine done too. Where in Houston did you have it done? How much did it cost you?

Having a hard time figuring out pros/cons of various films. Any reason you went with Llumar vs 3M Crystalline vs other...?

I didn't have a reason to go one way vs another. I had heard good things about Llumar and read reviews on the Internet. The shop I used had the full Llumar line and showed me each grade. They had the tint on rolls in the Llumar boxes so I knew I was truly getting the right stuff.

Great. I might get mine done too. Where in Houston did you have it done? How much did it cost you?

I got it done at Ultimate Protection and Sound on Westpark. Not the prettiest place but they do excellent work and have the genuine Llumar tints. Carlos did the tint and he has been doing it over 20 years. He showed me all the tint grades they have and even applied small strips to my windows to show me how it would look. Great guy.

Ran about 330. Good luck.

Back