New Member here: I just test drove a cx 9 signature - "dreadful A/C" is correct

So after 3 days of driving my new CX-9 in 90 degree weather the A/C is totally acceptable. I can tell you that the dash gets tons of heat soak - i'm going to tint the front windows and add UV block to the windshield. Otherwise the car is fantastic - things it should have that it doesn't:
Front park sensors - seems odd they skipped those
Rear USB and or 12v power - the 12v power for the rear is behind the 3rd row - I'll probably tap the front ones and add it below the rear climate control.
Heated Steering wheel - I'm sure I'll want it in the winter - if they add it for MY 17 I will swap one but not a huge deal.
Hands Free rear tailgate ... no brainer
remote start standard with the key not an add on you need an app for.

All in all still the most bang for your buck for a new 3 row SUV.

there is 2 x 12V connectors (one in the central console, one in the back) and 4 x USB (2 in the middle console between front seats and 2 in the middle armrest in the 2nd row).

I don't know if the back 2 x usb are connected to the infotainment system or is just for charging purposes. very good we have 2.1 amps connectors there.

there is tablet headrest available at different prices at amazon for baby entertainment. I believe this is better than DVD. today you can have all your movies in a tablet via itunes or micro sd card via mkv video format.

I really wants front park sensors, maybe I will add it in the future.

And I want smartphone mirror (via firmware update), I don't really need Android Auto or Apple Carplay, I just want WAZE into my 8 inch screen.

A superb SUV. I will have a highway trip with 7 passengers tomorrow! a 400km travel! And I will need to use the AWD in some stages

So after putting SolarGuard Ultra Performance 20% on all the windows and 70% on the windshield it is noticeably quicker to cool down with the AC. So pretty add ~500 bucks to the price you pay which sucks but the tint looks great.

My CX9 came with tinting already except for the front side windows and windshield. Thought it was factory. Did you tint over the tint already on the second, third row and rear window or remove it in some way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after putting SolarGuard Ultra Performance 20% on all the windows and 70% on the windshield it is noticeably quicker to cool down with the AC. So pretty add ~500 bucks to the price you pay which sucks but the tint looks great.

Just as I thought. On any vehicle, window tinting does aid in keeping the interior cool down quicker. And since it blocks harmful UV rays that cause skin cancer, there may also be a health benefit. The downside is somewhat reduced visibility at night.

My CX9 came with tinting already except for the front side windows and windshield. Thought it was factory. Did you tint over the tint already on the second, third row and rear window or remove it in some way?

So that's not really tint - it's dyed at the factory so the glass is darker but it doesn't block any UV or heat. I just added 20% on top of of it and tinted the front windows 20%. The fronts look a hair lighter but it all matches up well.

Last edited:
So that's not really tint - it's died at the factory so the glass is darker but it doesn't block any UV or heat. I just added 20% on top of of it and tinted the front windows 20%. The fronts look a hair lighter but it all matches up well.

Thanks. Makes sense. I will look into this for mine as well.

I own a 2015 CX-9 GT and the air is fine but I'm wondering if the 4 cylinder engine in the newer model may have something to do with it? I have owned several cheap compact cars down through the years and the air conditioner was always struggling especially when I would come to a stop and idle. Maybe the 4 cylinder doesn't have enough power to run it properly without the turbo kicking in?

I own a 2015 CX-9 GT and the air is fine but I'm wondering if the 4 cylinder engine in the newer model may have something to do with it? I have owned several cheap compact cars down through the years and the air conditioner was always struggling especially when I would come to a stop and idle. Maybe the 4 cylinder doesn't have enough power to run it properly without the turbo kicking in?
4 cylinder has nothing to do with it. I had a cavalier in Florida, the AC was ice cold. The car was around since 2001, the AC was never serviced and to this day, it's pretty damn cold.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Other AC factors also include size of interior volume and also in the old days they used freon, that was really cold and efficient but bad for the ozone, do they switched to r134a which doesn't cool as well.

Other AC factors also include size of interior volume and also in the old days they used freon, that was really cold and efficient but bad for the ozone, do they switched to r134a which doesn't cool as well.

Interior volume of the CX9 is a joke - The smallest among all midsize SUVs. My Sorento AC is stupid cold. I have to turn it up to 78F to be bearable. Compared that to my Toyotas and Mazda where I had to set them at 72-75.

Interior volume of the CX9 is a joke - The smallest among all midsize SUVs. My Sorento AC is stupid cold. I have to turn it up to 78F to be bearable. Compared that to my Toyotas and Mazda where I had to set them at 72-75.

The lower interior volume is really only an issue with max cargo space with 2nd and 3rd row folded. Which I think most people hardly ever fill their crossover to the max with all seats down. Maybe once in a while.

The important numbers are room in each row which the CX-9 has plenty of (has more leg room in 2nd and 3rd row than a majority of competitors). What also counts is space individually behind 3rd row and behind 2nd which is very camparable.

New Member here: I just test drove a cx 9 signature - "dreadful A/C" is correct

No, nobody is allowed to use more efficient R-12 freon since 20+ years ago! But 20 years later now the government says R-134A is not good for ozone and needs to get replaced with even less efficient and very expensive refrigerant "1234yf" (no joke)! I wonder 20 years later those "scientists" will again come up with a new refrigerant and repeat the history!

The AC problem on new CX-9 definitely is caused by design issue with not enough BTU capacity and/or air flow! This is unfortunate that someone in Mazda design department dropped the ball. Could be just in the name of less cost, less weight, and less power consumption for better fuel economy! Had Mazda even tested the new CX-9 in desert and polar regions under severe weather at all like most automakers used to be? I guess "computer simulation" of these severe conditions is what the Mazda did for testing?!

Yeah but ultimately the AC is adequate. I've been driving mine now for 2 weeks in 90 + weather. Granted I tinted the whole car but it's not as bad as I originally thought. It's also not unique to mazdas.

Yeah but ultimately the AC is adequate. I've been driving mine now for 2 weeks in 90 + weather. Granted I tinted the whole car but it's not as bad as I originally thought. It's also not unique to mazdas.
Adequate AC in the 90F is not enough for 100F+ temperature in Texas! Besides Mazda shouldn't and couldn't settle for less for a very important feature, coming out an inferior AC system even comparing to its previous-gen CX-9 or its own models such as CX-5, both have good enough AC capacity!

If Mazda wants to survive, Mazda can't afford to settle for less! Its sales figure is at the bottom of the car market worldwide. Mazda needs to hit a home run for each of its new products to increase the sales number!

Adequate AC in the 90F is not enough for 100F+ temperature in Texas! Besides Mazda shouldn't and couldn't settle for less for a very important feature, coming out an inferior AC system even comparing to its previous-gen CX-9 or its own models such as CX-5, both have good enough AC capacity!

If Mazda wants to survive, Mazda can't afford to settle for less! Its sales figure is at the bottom of the car market worldwide. Mazda needs to hit a home run for each of its new products to increase the sales number!

I really don't know what you guys are complaining about, specially the ones who don't even own one or have driven one for any length of time other than a test drive. We've had over 100 deg weather here in Charleston, SC the last 2 weeks plus 80% humidity and the a/c works just like it does in any of the other vehicles I've been driving, except for my Touareg. It has quad AC and gets cooler quicker than any vehicle I have owned. We have a 2016 Honda Pilot and a couple of Tahoes in our company fleet and they don't seem to cool any quicker than my wife's CX-9. I wouldn't have even noticed it except for all the complaining. To each his own, if you like the cheaply made Sorrento or ugly Pilot, good for you. Why even get in on the "owner's" forum if you don't own a CX-9. I bought the CX-9 (our third one) because of its driving dynamics and quality of build and I used to only buy Hondas but their quality has been suspect for several years now, since they've started building them in Alabama. Have you guys driven a KIA after its 2 yrs old? It a rattle trap by then.

Took my Azami AWD (I'm in Australia) to the snow last weekend. Heating worked brilliantly. Windows unfogged faster than my mate's current model Volvo XC90 and cabin warmed well throughout (including to the kids in the third row).

I really don't know what you guys are complaining about, specially the ones who don't even own one or have driven one for any length of time other than a test drive. We've had over 100 deg weather here in Charleston, SC the last 2 weeks plus 80% humidity and the a/c works just like it does in any of the other vehicles I've been driving, except for my Touareg. It has quad AC and gets cooler quicker than any vehicle I have owned. We have a 2016 Honda Pilot and a couple of Tahoes in our company fleet and they don't seem to cool any quicker than my wife's CX-9. I wouldn't have even noticed it except for all the complaining. To each his own, if you like the cheaply made Sorrento or ugly Pilot, good for you. Why even get in on the "owner's" forum if you don't own a CX-9. I bought the CX-9 (our third one) because of its driving dynamics and quality of build and I used to only buy Hondas but their quality has been suspect for several years now, since they've started building them in Alabama. Have you guys driven a KIA after its 2 yrs old? It a rattle trap by then.

I tend to agree - even though I'm the one who started this post :) after a test drive in 100+ weather where the car had been sitting for 2 days. I didn't even bother driving a KIA - and I wound up choosing the CX-9 over the XC-90 - the volvo was 15K more expensive and simply not worth 15K more....

I bought the CX-9 (our third one) because of its driving dynamics and quality of build and I used to only buy Hondas but their quality has been suspect for several years now, since they've started building them in Alabama. Have you guys driven a KIA after its 2 yrs old? It a rattle trap by then.

This. After 6 years of ownership, our 2010 CX-9 still runs perfectly. It just goes. There's nary a rattle nor a squeak. At least in my experience, Mazda build quality is exemplary and the driving dynamics is icing on the cake.

Speaking of Honda, the assembly of the Acura MDX is being moved to Ohio from Alabama because of build quality.

Back