SkyAvtiv 2 coming in 2019, Diesel still scheduled to arrive to the US

:
Former CX-5 Own
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160723/OEM05/160729962/mazda-diesel-still-in-the-plans-ceo-says44

The next-generation Skyactiv technologies, dubbed Skyactiv 2, will encompass an overhaul of the entire platform, far more than just the engines, Matsumoto said. He pledged to introduce the second phase by March 2019.

Skyactiv 2 will pick up where the first generation left off, focusing on lightweighting, better ride and handling, and improved fuel economy, he said.

A new gasoline engine now under development will be 30 percent more efficient than the current Skyactiv powerplants, the company said.

We are not giving up, Kogai said of the U.S. diesel ambition during the July 14 unveiling here of the Mazda3 sedan and hatchback midcycle refresh. We have a timeline.

Kogai, 61, declined to give specifics about the timing but said he wants the diesel drivetrain introduced stateside while hes still at the helm.

Damn. 30%? Now, that could mean a lot of things, but the child in me just read "40mpg" with identical or better performance. The adult in me read "30% more complete fuel-burn, for 2-5% more power and 1mpg more", lmao!

One has to wonder though... with the current skyactiv having to pull timing during hot weather and/or running not-high octane gas, what real world improvement can be seen with HCCI once out of the lab? Maybe high octane will be required.

I used to have a Honda CRV 2.4 i-VTEC Petrol and now a CX5 2.2 Diesel. The CX5 2.2 Diesel is Euro 6 in theory. Taking aside whether the Euro 6 is true or otherwise, the real world consumption of the the CX5 diesel is between 30 - 40% more efficient than the Petrol CRV in similar diriving condition.

The CX5 Diesel averages around 7 to 7.5 litre per 100 km. The CRV averaged around 10.5 to 11 Litre per 100 Km. CX5 Diesel is very fuel efficient in my book.

Not sure, but sounds like high octane will not be beneficial because in HCCI there is no spark plug and you do want the mixture to ignite by compression alone. Maybe even require low octane.

Don't buy the diesel is my advice.

My current auto 175ps is lucky if it returns 38 mpg, at present its showing 33.5 mpg on the average read out, which by the way over reads by around 2.5mpg, car weighs 1703kg.
Previous manual 175ps weighed 1663kg and returned around 41 to 43mpg on the inaccurate average read out.

Given the choice I would have the 2.5T petrol if it is ever on offer.

Don't buy the diesel is my advice.

My current auto 175ps is lucky if it returns 38 mpg, at present its showing 33.5 mpg on the average read out, which by the way over reads by around 2.5mpg, car weighs 1703kg.
Previous manual 175ps weighed 1663kg and returned around 41 to 43mpg on the inaccurate average read out.

Given the choice I would have the 2.5T petrol if it is ever on offer.
So sounds like the culprit of your big MPG drop is the SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission? The Diesel engines are the same 2.2L 175PS SkyActiv-D, the only difference is the transmission.

Giving by all the problems on diesel engine emission issues and Mazda's SkyActiv-D diesel engine itself, plus the unpopularity of diesel vehicles here, I'd tend to believe we'll never see Mazda SA-D diesel in the US market!

Yes British mpg, the British official fuel figures also say the auto uses 3mpg more than the manual.

I assume its due to the transmission losses and extra weight, and only having 6 gears.

Damn. 30%? Now, that could mean a lot of things, but the child in me just read "40mpg" with identical or better performance. The adult in me read "30% more complete fuel-burn, for 2-5% more power and 1mpg more", lmao!

Haha maybe true but making one of the best NA 4 bangers 5% more powerful and 1-2 mpg more efficient- still a HR in my book.
Give me a sky2 AWD CX-5 making ~200/200 @3300lbs(they said lighter also) loaded getting 25/32 with snappy paddle shifters and no turbo..I'd mail in my deposit today and include a thank you note.
CX5 is definitely no sports car but it is a great daily driving/foul weather compliment or compromise to one for everyday practicality.
I can't believe I'm saying this but I think they should forget diesel for usa, VW took that comeback story and took a big steaming dump on every page of it.

All i need is to find an 18 wheeler on the highway and i get 35mpg. or a downhill slope.

Says this new engine brings up new potential issues, and that Mazda is confident they have those issues sorted out.

Did they sort out all the issues with the first gen skyactivs?

Do refer to some specific engine trouble?
AFAIK, both 2L and 2.5L SkyActiv engines are pretty robust so far. However, HCCI is far more difficult to get right, because there is no spark to ignite the mixture at exactly the right time. Other companies have been trying for a while to do HCCI and there aren't any on the road yet. If Mazda pulls this off, it would be a great achievement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_charge_compression_ignition

If really no spark plug, it is interesting to see how they will manage to control the engine at what drivers expect from a normal car.

Says this new engine brings up new potential issues, and that Mazda is confident they have those issues sorted out.

Did they sort out all the issues with the first gen skyactivs?

Getting harder to find failed engines these days from any manufacturer. Trannies and electronics have greater failure rates than the actual motor.

A failed motor is a pretty humongous issue. The gas in my oil is also an issue.

I understand mazda is trying to break unbroken ground with these high compression engines, and I understand there are issues that come with that.

I guess this new one could solve some issues with the previous generation, I don't know. My novice ass figures it would be easier to tweak the one they already have that's selling very well.

A failed motor is a pretty humongous issue. The gas in my oil is also an issue.

I understand mazda is trying to break unbroken ground with these high compression engines, and I understand there are issues that come with that.

I guess this new one could solve some issues with the previous generation, I don't know. My novice ass figures it would be easier to tweak the one they already have that's selling very well.

Oh ok. Yeah the gas in oil thing would be an issue for me. I was thinking more on the lines of mechanical failure due to poor engineering rendering the car dead.

Have you tried higher octane gas?

Why in the world would I try 91 gas in my cx5.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll file it with all the other "well you could just waste more money on XX and maybe that will solve your issue" recommendations.

Sorry for being snarky, but the more I think about this vehicle, the dumber I feel for buying it.

I mean, people have taken their cx5's to the dealers about the diluted oil and they've been told it's normal, or they take too many short trips. Honestly, what the hell kind of answer is that, and what does it say about the vehicle?

Dealer network is another reason you may not like cx5. Most of masburns issue seems like poor dealership. Hows the independent mechanic scene for mazda?

Back