Remote start users...how's it working for you?

jhu8

:
16 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech
So with this continued heat here in Maryland, and I think pretty much everywhere, I've been very interested in a remote start system. I would love a way to get the car going and to cool it down. Of course this will be even more beneficial here come winter with all the ice we get. I know there are two versions, MMS and traditional remote start, but I just wanted to hear from some actual users and their opinions on how their system is treating them.

There is just about no user reviews anywhere online and YouTube that I could find so was hoping if some users here could chime in on the option they have and if they're liking it or not.

Yes, I get some people will think the idea is dumb/lazy/etc. No reason to discuss that. Hopefully there are at least a couple active remote start users here lol I know Mazdas offerings aren't the greatest.

We have the basic Mazda FOB starter. (It does have a little screen that talks back when car starts). Works fine for what it is. The range isn't the greatest but we don't need to start the car from the other side of town. Line of sight or a couple hundred yards. Install is a simple plug and play, no extra monthly fee, etc. We had it installed when we purchased the car new and have had no problems of any kind.
The only quirk is when you open the door the engine shuts down, but I think that happens with any starter for these mazdas. At first it seemed like a PITA but now don't even notice.
It may not be the best one out there, but I chose it because it is made for the car. No worries about warranty, door locks, alarms, or cutting into any other functions of the car.

Last edited:
The only quirk is when you open the door the engine shuts down

Could you elaborate? do you mean that starting the car and then opening the door to get in, results in the engine shutting off?

Yep. Start the car from inside, go out to your vehicle while it's running and as soon as any door is opened the vehicle shuts off. It's a theft prevention feature. (Albeit a poorly thought out one...)

I am curious to try with an aftermarket remote start if I can bypass that flaw with some clever diode and transistor placement.....

We have the basic Mazda FOB starter. (It does have a little screen that talks back when car starts). Works fine for what it is. The range isn't the greatest but we don't need to start the car from the other side of town. Line of sight or a couple hundred yards. Install is a simple plug and play, no extra monthly fee, etc. We had it installed when we purchased the car new and have had no problems of any kind.
The only quirk is when you open the door the engine shuts down, but I think that happens with any starter for these mazdas. At first it seemed like a PITA but now don't even notice.
It may not be the best one out there, but I chose it because it is made for the car. No worries about warranty, door locks, alarms, or cutting into any other functions of the car.

Yeah I was originally leaning towards the MMS but between the monthly payment, and than the fact that once you hit the start button or any command, it takes up to a minute for the car to respond. Which is horrible imo. So now I'm thinking more towards the standard system. How has been your experience with having to have two key fobs. I always carry my current one in my pocket. Do you think that will continue to be possible? Also, how quick does the car respond when you hit the buttons? Thanks.

As for the extra FOB, I've also read that some people complain about that. OMG another key FOB, but it's ok to carry around your smart phone that is 10 times bigger. FWIW, the wife keeps the starter FOB in her purse and just pulls it out when needed. Not an issue at all. Again, at first it sort of seemed strange to have another FOB, and the door engine shut down. Never had that before on any other vehicle. But after using it, those issues are all forgotten about.
When using the FOB, as soon as a button is depressed, it lights up and responds pretty much immediately. The screen has a few little icons and lets you know what's going on at the car.
Just from memory, you grab the FOB, press the button, engine starts, icon lights up.........all in a few seconds.

I have the Compustar RF-2W9000SS installed for $460 (before tax). Range is great, my wife can start the car two blocks away from the basement of a brick building. Fob is not too big, if you don't care about the LCD, the back-up fob is slightly smaller. An NiMH AAA lasts about 3 weeks (also is a reason I picked this over the Viper with built-in Li-Ion). I had the same model for my wife's 2014 Civic, both are still working great. The LCD screen does get scratched easily, but cutting a rectangular piece from a cheap phone screen protector and slapping on the LCD will do.

I haven't had the need to remote-start it during summer so I'm not sure, but the installer guy told me that I just need to keep the AC on before turning the car off. When remote-started, it should remember the AC state. But for winter, it's essential, especially to pre-warm the engine after 8 hours in the sub-zero parking lot.

If I'm paranoid about the amplifier attack on the Mazda key fob, I can just take its battery out and use the CompuStar to lock/unlock instead, have to bring the Mazda fob next to the Start push button though.

I have the remote starter and think it's fine. I guess I don't understand all of the criticism of the engine turning off when the door is opened. That would seem to make a lot of sense to help prevent theft. Since I have a manual A/C, I have to remember in the winter for example to set it to full heat (or defrost) when done with the car for the day so it's doing what I want then next morning. To me the remote start is a nice convenience.

As for the extra FOB, I've also read that some people complain about that. OMG another key FOB, but it's ok to carry around your smart phone that is 10 times bigger. FWIW, the wife keeps the starter FOB in her purse and just pulls it out when needed. Not an issue at all. Again, at first it sort of seemed strange to have another FOB, and the door engine shut down. Never had that before on any other vehicle. But after using it, those issues are all forgotten about.
When using the FOB, as soon as a button is depressed, it lights up and responds pretty much immediately. The screen has a few little icons and lets you know what's going on at the car.
Just from memory, you grab the FOB, press the button, engine starts, icon lights up.........all in a few seconds.

Good info, thanks. The response is good to know. I just can't see sitting there with an app open on your phone waiting for 30 seconds to a minute just for the car to respond.

I have the remote starter and think it's fine. I guess I don't understand all of the criticism of the engine turning off when the door is opened. That would seem to make a lot of sense to help prevent theft. Since I have a manual A/C, I have to remember in the winter for example to set it to full heat (or defrost) when done with the car for the day so it's doing what I want then next morning. To me the remote start is a nice convenience.

Has the distance ever been an issue for you? What about carrying around both key fobs? Assuming you do so in your pocket.

Just got the remote starter app on my new CX5. I can start the engine remotely, but as soon as I open the car door the engine shuts off. Is this just me? Why would they make it so that the engine shuts off right when we need to drive away?

Just got the remote starter app on my new CX5. I can start the engine remotely, but as soon as I open the car door the engine shuts off. Is this just me? Why would they make it so that the engine shuts off right when we need to drive away?

Not just you. It's a safety issue to prevent theft. I'm guessing if someone managed to inside your cx5 when it was running, automatically shutting off would prevent them from getting away.

Not just you. It's a safety issue to prevent theft. I'm guessing if someone managed to inside your cx5 when it was running, automatically shutting off would prevent them from getting away.

I have a dealer installed remote start system on my 2010 Ford Focus.

The car won't turn off when you open the door, but it will when you put the car into gear without the key in the ignition.

Couldn't Mazda do something similar?

So with this continued heat here in Maryland, and I think pretty much everywhere, I've been very interested in a remote start system. I would love a way to get the car going and to cool it down. Of course this will be even more beneficial here come winter with all the ice we get. I know there are two versions, MMS and traditional remote start, but I just wanted to hear from some actual users and their opinions on how their system is treating them.

There is just about no user reviews anywhere online and YouTube that I could find so was hoping if some users here could chime in on the option they have and if they're liking it or not.

Yes, I get some people will think the idea is dumb/lazy/etc. No reason to discuss that. Hopefully there are at least a couple active remote start users here lol I know Mazdas offerings aren't the greatest.

I used to drive a more luxury oriented SUV, and the remote start was awesome! I could start the thing through walls, hundreds of feet away, etc. and it would run for 15 minutes, and then shut off (say, if I had gotten held up by a code before I left work, etc.) I loved it, worked great. I will say that through using it, the computer claimed my average mpg dropped from about 16.5 to 13.5. But I used it with wild abandon, nearly 100% of the time (allowed the vehicle to get to operating temp before driving, as well as the climate control benefits).

I used to drive a more luxury oriented SUV, and the remote start was awesome! I could start the thing through walls, hundreds of feet away, etc. and it would run for 15 minutes, and then shut off (say, if I had gotten held up by a code before I left work, etc.) I loved it, worked great. I will say that through using it, the computer claimed my average mpg dropped from about 16.5 to 13.5. But I used it with wild abandon, nearly 100% of the time (allowed the vehicle to get to operating temp before driving, as well as the climate control benefits).

Yeah, I've always wanted remote start and I'm really tempted here. Just worried about having to carry around 2 key fobs, and the distance of it working. But the convenience and warming up/cooling down the car would be awesome. Especially the winter I think with those cold mornings. Especially since the seat warmers stay on in the cx5. Any reason you haven't gotten yet on your cx5 if you liked it so much on your previous vehicle? I know mazdas offerings aren't the best out there. But seems they at least accomplish the job.

Back