2011 Mazda 2 alternator voltage problem or just fuel save mechanism?

squallelf

:
mazda 2
Hi all,

I just purchased a used 2011 Mazda 2. As usual, i used to plugged in a Cigarette Lighter Socket splitter with voltage measuring function.

I noticed that the voltage was good initially when i started the engine (reading 13.4-14v)
and while the car run for a while, say 15 mins, the voltage droped to 12.3v and sometime below 12.1v

It occasionally jump to to 14.2V during run but it just hold for a few minutes and drop back to 12.1V

The voltage increase to 12.6V when i turned headlight on.

i'm not sure if this is the fuel save mechanism of mazda 2 (stop charging when battery is full?) or i just got a bad alternator or/battery

FYI, the battery is maintenance free 55D23L, installed in early 2014

should i test it with multimeter directly measured from the battery pole to confirm problem?

btw, while i searched in the internet, i found 1 thread talking about the same problem
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/18/viewthread.php?tid=204695

would anyone owned a mazda 2 (2007-2014) with voltage display devices from the Cigarette Lighter Socket checked whether this is a problem? or a common behavior of mazda 2?

That sounds about on par with what happens to my 2. Fresh battery or old, it has a weird charging system.

Also of note, the power steering is electrically assisted, so don't be afraid if you see a decently large dip while turning to park.

Back