Auto transmission slip/hesitation in overdrive

Beaker99

:
05 Mazda Premacy
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 05 Mazda 5 (or Premacy, as its a Japanese import) automatic and have noticed an issue with the transmission. Its a 4 speed trans and Im assuming it has a overdrive, as there is another definite shift after 4th gear, although the dash indicator continues to display a 4.

The issue is a very slight, but noticeable, hesitation when cruising in what I assume is overdrive. Hesitation might be the wrong word as Im certain its not coming from the engine. It feels like the trans actually slips slightly and causes a very slight loss of forward momentum.

It only does it in overdrive if traveling between 55kph and say 90kph on a flat road with very little load on. I do lots of straight flat driving at about 60kph using very little accelerator, and the issue is there all the time. If I change to tiptronic mode the transmission seems to go back in true 4th gear, the revs go up a touch, and the issue immediately disappears. Im a little worried it could be the start of something more serious for the transmission. Am I right to be concerned?

I do also feel the trans is changing into overdrive a little early. It will do it at around 55-58kph with say 2k revs on the clock. The revs then drop down to about 1500 and you start to notice the slip/hesitation/or whatever you want to call it. It only happens while cruising under almost no load. The moment you accelerate and start to gain speed its not there.

I have flushed the tranny fluid, the old stuff was probably original and was brown in color, but certainly not back at all. The car has 82,000 kms on the clock. I have a failed number 3 engine mount (the oil filled one) which Im about to change, but apart from that the car is great and I have no other issues.

I take it this isnt a normal quirk of the tranny and its a signal something is up?

Update - It seems I have inadvertently managed to fix the issue!

I replaced the failed engine mount and it's made a significant difference to the way the transmission preforms. There is no more slipping / hesitation when cursing in overdrive and the car seems to hold gear for just a bit longer before changing up now. The change is noticeable and even my wife, who doesn't have a clue about cars but mostly drives the 5, said the car drives much better now.

I'm pleasantly surprised it was such and easy, and cheap, fix.

Back