2016 CX-9 Real World MPG

Folks, I am getting 19-23mpg in my 2015 CX-9 GT with the V-6. This -9 is getting better mileage than my 2009 or 2011 models, so maybe they have done some better mapping of shift points, etc. I am taking it easy on the right foot (this week I am driving my son's Speed 3, so no such restraint likely) and trying to keep my mileage above 20 and i have been successful....oh, mostly steady driving between 45-75 mph. Just sayin...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KG2wXlA.jpg

177.7 mile round trip. 4.5hrs of driving at 95% freeway. 3hrs there, 1.5hrs back. Fuel Economy Monitor is set to monitor Trip A. The 32.4 is the way back, 24.8 is on the way there, and 28.6 is the average for the trip.

There were 6 (!!!) accidents on the way there while the return trip was merely "busy".

You can also see the previous 5 fillups.

...and I was trying to maximize efficiency on this trip.

WOW, I like the graphics. My 2015 doesn't have that....I don't think my wife's 2016 CX-5GT does that! Cool!

WOW, I like the graphics. My 2015 doesn't have that....I don't think my wife's 2016 CX-5GT does that! Cool!

2015 CX-9 no graphics like that

2016 CX-5 yes, it does, under "settings" I don't remember exactly the steps but it's there , also there's an oil change maintenance reminder, it's there just have to play with it, you'll see it.

2015 CX-9 no graphics like that

2016 CX-5 yes, it does, under "settings" I don't remember exactly the steps but it's there , also there's an oil change maintenance reminder, it's there just have to play with it, you'll see it.

it's under "applications" in the infotainment menu.

In my last long trip to Ixtapa I get 35MPG. Only 3 in the car at 60 - 80 mph. (baby boy in the back - security first). Very good Fuel Economy.

In my last long trip to Ixtapa I get 35MPG. Only 3 in the car at 60 - 80 mph. (baby boy in the back - security first). Very good Fuel Economy.

awesome!! I'm getting a measly 16mpg on my old CX-9 and currently looking at buying the new 9,
I'm sick of spending so much on gas and having to refuel every 3 days.

Also, no infotainment re-boot on the new 9 right ? so disabling the e-mail and text downloads seem to fix the problem ?

~3500km in, and my hand calculated total is 23.5 combined on regular fuel. It's a 50/50 city/highway mix, with lots of short trips to pick up kids.
Best tank was 29.7 mpg, with long stretches on that trip that got me well into the 30s.

Interstate trips, it gets thirsty over 120 km/h...Like it needs another gear. My wife drives it harder than I do...she loves the boost!

Interstate trips, it gets thirsty over 120 km/h...Like it needs another gear.

Here is what I am getting on my 2016 CX-9 GT, FWD, 1200 miles, regular gas. The highway driving had adaptive cruise control turned on.

City (true stop and go): ....................................11-14 mpg
Suburban (30-40 mph/intermittent traffic lights):...16-20 mpg
Highway 65 mph@2000 rpm: .............................29-30 mpg <== peak
Highway 75 mph@2200 rpm: .............................27-29 mpg
Highway 80 mph@2500 rpm: .............................24-27 mpg

Although there is plenty of power at 80 mph, I do feel that fuel economy would improve if there was another gear. Also, wish I could get better city fuel economy :-(

awesome!! I'm getting a measly 16mpg on my old CX-9 and currently looking at buying the new 9,

Also, no infotainment re-boot on the new 9 right ? so disabling the e-mail and text downloads seem to fix the problem ?
On city with heavy heavy heavy traffic I get 10 to 16 mpg.

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

I don't experienced more the reboots since I disabled the sync of sms and emails with the system.

I don't experienced more the reboots since I disabled the sync of sms and emails with the system.

yep, I disabled the sync of sms and emails on my 2016 CX-5 and no reboots either, knock on wood.

I figure it's a small price to pay to have no reboots and I don't need the distraction when driving anyway, I always ignore the text/e-mail notifications anyway.

yep, I disabled the sync of sms and emails on my 2016 CX-5 and no reboots either, knock on wood.

I figure it's a small price to pay to have no reboots and I don't need the distraction when driving anyway, I always ignore the text/e-mail notifications anyway.

The same here. I don't need sms/email in my car. I read emails/sms at home/work. That's enough.

Here is what I am getting on my 2016 CX-9 GT, FWD, 1200 miles, regular gas. The highway driving had adaptive cruise control turned on.

City (true stop and go): ....................................11-14 mpg
Suburban (30-40 mph/intermittent traffic lights):...16-20 mpg
Highway 65 mph@2000 rpm: .............................29-30 mpg <== peak
Highway 75 mph@2200 rpm: .............................27-29 mpg
Highway 80 mph@2500 rpm: .............................24-27 mpg

Although there is plenty of power at 80 mph, I do feel that fuel economy would improve if there was another gear. Also, wish I could get better city fuel economy :-(

Awesome break-down. Kudos!

For me, I am doing 11 mile round trip commute mostly in the city and I am getting 14.5 mpg for past three weeks.

I believe something wrong in your MPG calculation. EPA fuel economy rating for 2016 Mazda CX-9 are 24/22/28 combined/city/highway for FWD and 23/21/26 (newly revised) for AWD. I simply can't see your CX-9 AWD could get 35 mpg, which is 9 mpg higher then EPA highway rating, unless your whole trip was going long downhill!

Mix driving city/lights and highway - I average around 19.5 - On Trip B, which I've never reset, the average is 19.9-20mpg (Southern California). I'm going to take it on its first long road trip next week and we'll see if it improves. Hopefully I won't hit traffic.

23.1 mpg for the first 1161 miles. 26.8 mpg latest tank mostly freeway driving from Fort Collins from 80 mph to stop and go on I25. Latest trip, round trip from Littleton to DIA, 27.2 mpg on a Tuesday. Pretty happy with mpg so far for just after break in period.mpg1.jpgmpg.jpg

Last edited:
Avg. is 23mpg in mixed city and hwy driving after 5800mi. in my awd Sig. Best mpg so far was logged at 28.9mpg all hwy for 45min commute home.

Back