2016 CX-9 Real World MPG

TX_Driver

:
2016 CX-9 GT
I'm the proud owner of a soul red/sand 2016 CX-9 GT and love it. My only concern is the gas mileage so far -- a poor 16.6 mpg for the initial 150 miles. For reference, the 5 current 2016 cx9 listed on fuelly (http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-9/2016) show a *minimum* of 21.4 mpg, so should I be concerned?

I know there is some thought that mpg might improve with additional miles, but I am surprised at the poor fuel efficiency so far. I am a very conservative driver with a light touch. The driving conditions were about 90% city, no hills, with the AC on.

I also have a GT, currently with about 800 miles on the odometer.
My first measured tank was a bit over 15 mpg, so you're doing better than I did.

City driving (especially stop and crawl) plays havoc on the fuel efficiency, as does having to constantly run the A/C.

Thus far, I've reached a high of 24+ mpg with mostly freeway driving and filled up tonight with a figure of 18.6 in mixed driving, with the majority being stop-and-crawl.

My prior experience with several new SkyActiv engines leads me to anticipate continued mileage improvement for the first few thousand miles.

I don't believe that I'll achieve the EPA estimates, but I expect to get 20 mpg or better in mixed driving once the engine is fully broken-in.
Note that this is MUCH better than the 14 - 16 mpg that my former 11 CX-9 delivered.

Note that this is MUCH better than the 14 - 16 mpg that my former 11 CX-9 delivered.

In contrast, I am coming from a 2004 V6 Honda Accord that got 19 mpg along the same route that the CX-9 is currently giving 16.6 mpg. Grant it the CX-9 is 1,000 pounds heavier. But still, had hoped that technology would have improved fuel efficiency over the last 12 years. I agree that the stop-crawl-stop traffic is a killer on mpg. I hope that my mpg improves with break-in time.

Last edited:
I had the old cx9 and with the V6 my full tank give me gas for 7 days. So far, with the new GT Turbo, I has been using the SUV for 10 days so far and still have 25% of GAS. I'm saving 25 - 30% or more of gas for sure with the new 4 cyl turbo.

1st tank of gas (from dealer) - avg. was 20.4 mpg
2nd tank - avg. was 21.7 mpg (more highway driving during this tank)
3rd tank (ongoing) - averaging ~21-22 mpg (not much highway driving yet)

i have a feeling it will be ~22 mpg when all is said and done (btw, i am using 87 octane).

Best freeway was 32.4mpg (as shown in the fuel economy app) for 88 miles at mostly 65mph. Our last long trip, 450 miles, averaged 25mpg measured via miles/gallons refilled. Speed varied greatly due to traffic and higher freeway speeds.

Generally we have been in the 23-25 range per tank. We should be over 2000 miles now.

Best freeway was 32.4mpg (as shown in the fuel economy app) for 88 miles at mostly 65mph. Our last long trip, 450 miles, averaged 25mpg measured via miles/gallons refilled. Speed varied greatly due to traffic and higher freeway speeds.

Generally we have been in the 23-25 range per tank. We should be over 2000 miles now.

I believe these are great numbers, no?

In my old cx9, the MPG was really bad.

I can't top 18mpg. Mostly city driving. Some highway and the terrain is hilly.

3 tanks of fuel so far. I expect around 20-22 average, given the terrain and how this car is supposed to do better in real world driving, but so far, it's a disappointment

I can't top 18mpg. Mostly city driving. Some highway and the terrain is hilly.

3 tanks of fuel so far. I expect around 20-22 average, given the terrain and how this car is supposed to do better in real world driving, but so far, it's a disappointment

Can you tell if you're spooling up the turbo a lot in your city driving?

With no way of verifying these claims, I'll take them with a very suspicious eye.

umm if thers anything to be suspicious about is why the cx9 seems to be putting out horrible mpg

what is there to be suspicious about when those are actual pilot owners posting their real world mpg. come on man, paranoid much. would pilot owners really make that thread thinking there are people lurking and they will lie about their mpg lol

if thats not enough proof for you

https://www.cars.com/articles/2016-honda-pilot-real-world-fuel-economy-1420680870584/

they claim 25 mpg who knows if that vehicle is broken in or elevation. but it goes a long with what people were claiming in the pilot thread with some slightly above that.

Last edited:
With no way of verifying these claims, I'll take them with a very suspicious eye.

Yes, if you read those threads, a lot of those people are basing their MPG only on the MPG gauge and not actually gas used.

Does the 2016 CX-9 have any sort of boost gauge, or information on what the turbo is doing?

Yes, if you read those threads, a lot of those people are basing their MPG only on the MPG gauge and not actually gas used.

read the thread again, the owner also did more accurate comparison based on mileage driven and gas filled. and the variance about 2mpg.

My wife's Pilot has claimed 29-31MPG on long road trips. Unfortunately, actually calculating the mileage based on filling up and dividing the mileage by fuel added, it's more like 25-27.5.

again still super great gas mileage for a vehicle that size

These numbers seem pretty poor. I have a 2013 CX9 and only reason I'd upgrade would be to improve mileage. I get 20-22 per tank with about 2/3 hwy driving (measured at pump, since HUD usually shows lower numbers). I recently got 15 mpg hauling my 2,500lb camper but I typically average about 13 hauling that load.

1st tank of gas (from dealer) - avg. was 20.4 mpg
2nd tank - avg. was 21.7 mpg (more highway driving during this tank)
3rd tank (ongoing) - averaging ~21-22 mpg (not much highway driving yet)

i have a feeling it will be ~22 mpg when all is said and done (btw, i am using 87 octane).

I'm closer to these numbers. I drive half city/half freeway with hills, my numbers (using cruise control) are very similar and I'm also on the third tank. Third tank is on premium gas which I found at a good price.

Back