2016 CX-9 Real World MPG

new 2017 CX-9 owner here...just drove wife + 2 teens + tons of stuff (including hitch-mount basket) from Michigan to Gulf Shores...75-90mph all the way and got 21 mpg. Happy Days!

Last edited:
Oh yes, if you wanna hit the advertised mileage you must absolutely baby it and never exceed 70...sorry but this car is just too much fun for that sort of dis-service[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return road trip update: 1100miles of crazy spring break traffic, 22.7 avg. Also hit 27.9 on my way to work this morning. Probably averaged 70. If you don't hit 20's I would be concerned for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't the dash gauge optimistic by 10% or so - 2-3 mpg?

Article says the system probably costs Mazda "several hundred dollars" a vehicle. That would have to be added to the sticker. That's a lot of gas where gas is $2/gal in the US. Meaning you'd have to drive for several years before getting that money back. Same type of consideration as a hybrid purchase, just smaller scale. In other countries, gas is 2-4 times the price making more sense for a system like this.

The other thing is, how good of an idea is this in a turbo engine where heat is a bigger issue? I personally wouldn't want my turbo engine cycling on and off, but I don't know enough about this to make that judgment. I just figure turbo engines run hotter and when the engine turns off, cooling is affected. Plus I read a lot of people online say they don't really like the feel of start/stop systems. They have a weird delay when you hit the gas. Perhaps Mazda's i-stop is better.
This.

The first thing I would do is turn the stop and go off had they brought it here, gas is cheap, turbo replacement is not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The start-stop systems are gimmicks. A 1 mpg less or more is not going to kill you or make you rich!

2018 GT Model FWD with ~3,500 miles. averaging 25-26 hwy (70ish mph) and 19-20 in the city. Have folks noticed improvements after break-in?

My 2018 CX-9 was giving very good gas mileage when the outside temperature was 40f. It gave 22 city and easily 26+ on highway. Last week the temperature dropped to twenties and road was little wet. Observed during my 3 hour long drive. It gave only 19 city and max 21.5 on highway. I was looking at the monitor app in highway. All the time the current MPG bar was only showing 22 MPG. What do you think about this bad MPG? Could it be because the AWD logic is kicking in?

Last edited:
Denser cooler air requires more fuel to burn and at the same time makes more hp.

I have seen a definitive drop in mpg when driving in the rain, I do not have AWD.

Does the baking system not keep the pads closer to the disk when the wipers are on to keep water off the disks. I thought I read something like that somewhere.

2018 Signature AWD, 20mpg all city currently (been -20c to -30c for the past week with snow packed and icy roads). Was getting 21ish in better conditions last month.

Back