Headlight not always working

Scott P

:
2006 MazdaSpeed 6
The driver's side headlight )low beam) on our 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring is intermittently turning off. It usually starts ok, but goes out some time after running. Being that they are the Xenon bulbs, what is my course of action here? I only messed with it in the dark last night, and it didn't look like it came out from the back. Some searching here shows the actual removal of the front bumper to get to the assembly. Is that really what I need to do?

Thanks

The driver's side headlight )low beam) on our 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring is intermittently turning off. It usually starts ok, but goes out some time after running. Being that they are the Xenon bulbs, what is my course of action here? I only messed with it in the dark last night, and it didn't look like it came out from the back. Some searching here shows the actual removal of the front bumper to get to the assembly. Is that really what I need to do?

Thanks

HIDs are notoriously unreliable, but yours being a 2008, has been good to you, for a 8 year run.

I have the touring model but use aftermarket HID kits that last three years then either the bulb or the ballast starts to fail. 8 out of 10 times it's the bulb that fails which is what I think is happening to yours.

I would start first by replacing the bulb, I believe it's a standard DS2 bulb, I would get a mazda brand, a bit pricey but those cheap ebay or Amazon bulbs might ruin your oem ballast which is really expensive.

If you still have a problem, then you'll need to replace the ballast. I believe the ballast is mounted on the underside of the headlight housing, you might be able to reach from underneath where the foglights are, if not, you have to remove the bumper and take out the headlight housing to get to the ballast which is a pain. Thus I suggest replacing the bulb first and hope it solves the issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back