What is it worth? SELL or get it Fixed? 2003 Protege5 Laser Blue 152k

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I picked up a clean but deferred maintenance Protege5... 2003 152k miles, Laser Blue, Automatic. No rust, paint good, just needed Struts and fender.

I have taken care of all of the plugs, coils, wires, solenoids, electric coolant fan, battery, and now this happens....

It has been acting oddly since it had a coolant fan failure, and now the car seems like it might have gotten too hot and overheated to the point of a head gasket failure.

I am looking for an estimated street value as it sits now as a "Mech Special", needing the head gasket repair, a front fender, and struts/suspension?

Thanks for your input...

I paid 1800 for my P5. It ran and drove just fine, but was consuming oil and smoking. It had 160k at the time. Body was good, interior average, and a little rust on the fear fender.

Value seems to fluctuate a lot by area. Blue book is 3-4k, and you can pick up good runners in this area for 2000-3500.

I would estimate Street value of 1000-1500 as it sits.

If it was a 5 speed, my buddy would probably buy it and I could do the head gasket for him. What wheels does it have? Want to swap? (2thumbs)

I had a 85' Mazda 626 LX MT (same as you)

I had a heater hose fall off and didn't notice till I finally saw steam... Too late.
(stupid little temperature gauge... where's the flashing idiot light ???)

I removed the head, took off the head gasket and caked both sides with high heat copper RTV silicone then reinstalled it... It worked awesome

I say all you need is tube of silicone then sell it for 3 K.

Last edited:
Ilikebikes,
Just FYI. In case your buddy is interested, I've got an 03 manual but w/ a bad motor. May you u can fix it. Don't have it on this site yet, but he can presently view it on Craigslist Milwaukee, search for protege5.

OP lives 30 miles from me. That'd be easy to get home.

Well it is totally drivable, no oil in the water or water in the oil, just some exhaust gasses getting into the coolant for a few moments until motor is somewhat warmed up?

With the fender, struts and head gasket done, I think it is a $3k-$3500 value...

Well it is totally drivable, no oil in the water or water in the oil, just some exhaust gasses getting into the coolant for a few moments until motor is somewhat warmed up?

With the fender, struts and head gasket done, I think it is a $3k-$3500 value...

I was trying to respond to the guy trying to sell me his in Milwaukee while on the mobile site.

I think that would be a good price, that was about what I was finding when I was looking for mine a few months ago. I ended up going to Portland for a lower mileage 5 speed in that range though.

I paid $2k for mine about a year ago with 170k, ran great. New tires, zero rust, 5 speed good clutch, new tires, new brakes, new struts. It has some cosmetic issues (bought it from a teenage girl) but no major damage, just a lot of little dings and stuff. All it needed was a VTCS tumbler solenoid (don't know what it does and it didn't make any difference how it ran but replaced it to shut off the check engine light) and some shifter bushings. $30 later it's as good as new. Still runs strong today. Almost a year later, now at 220k only additional stuff i've replaced on it was the timing belt, spark plugs, fixed the AC flicker.

Around here, a mechanic special that needs a HG, fender, struts probably go for around $1k assuming it runs/drives now, cold AC and decent interior.

Back