2016 (2nd Gen) CX-9 Audio Upgrades

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Sport
Hello Mazda Fans!
Been a long time lurker, but finally joined the site to share my mods on the new CX-9. As a long time Mazda fan, I always seem to bounce back and forth between having a Mazda in the garage, and something else. I have always loved them, but seem to like the next new thing too :)

I bought the first 2016 CX-9 to come into my local Mazda dealer on May 31st to replace my coupe with something with a little more room for the family. We have owned a first gen CX-9 (2007 Grand Touring with every available option) - and we loved everything about it, except the gas mileage. It's not that it was horrible - in fact it was right in line with all the other similar size SUV's on the market at the time, but eventually it was let go in favor of something better on the MPG's.

When I heard of the new CX-9 with the SkyActiv Turbo, it seemed right up my alley! I didn't care about all the factory added stuff, as I like to work on my own cars. This thread will document some of that work. Please feel free to chime in and comment or criticize - just please keep it respectful to all!

Without further a-do....

The factory base audio system is a 6 speaker setup, with 1/2" tweeters in the corners of the dash, and 6 1/2" mids in each of the doors. The dash locations have mounts for 3 1/2" mids also, but have blank plates screwed in. The center grill also provides blanks for an addition tweeter and 3 1/2" mid for the Bose system in higher range models. The Door panels each have three phillips head screws, and a bunch of standard door panel rivets around the perimeter. One screw lies behind the door handle cover, and the other two are at the top and bottom of the door pull under a snap on cover that makes the top of the door pull itself.

The head unit is two pieces, with the screen separated from the amp / head unit mounted below the center grill. This is easily accessed by removing a small screw cover plate behind the screen, and removing two 10mm bolts. The screen can then be lifted straight up, and two harness disconnected which attach to the head unit. The head unit can now be accessed and removed by an additional two more 10mm bolts, and then sliding it towards you and up out of the dash.

I will be adding pics of the custom stereo install shortly, but for now - here are some pics of the items mentioned above

*** WARNING - LARGE PICS BELOW!!! ***

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3399[1].jpg
    IMG_3399[1].jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 4,591
  • IMG_3402[1].JPG
    IMG_3402[1].JPG
    870.5 KB · Views: 4,765
  • IMG_3408[1].JPG
    IMG_3408[1].JPG
    776.5 KB · Views: 4,516
  • IMG_3409[1].JPG
    IMG_3409[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 4,532
Last edited:
First audio upgrades were to replace the stock speakers. I have spent alot of money over the years on high end audio gear, but decided this time I was going to do something a little different. My home theater is built using Klipsch speakers, and I like their sound and presence. A little while back, I scored a brand new set of replacement Klipsch 6.5" mids, 3.5" Mids, and 1" tweeters from their Synergy and Energy Line at a local shop. I paid a whopping $25 for them all! They did not know what they were obviously :)

I placed the 1" Tweets and 3.5" mids in the dash corner locations, and the 6.5" mids in the front doors. They are crossed over at 2900hz and 50hz at 4ohms.

The rear doors were upgraded using a pair of Kicker KS series coaxial 6.5" speakers and are playing full range above 50hz.

Using stock head unit power, I was very amazed at just how well this setup sounds already. The sound imaging is outstanding, and feels like the band is playing right in front of the car. The speakers play all the little nuances that were missing from the same tracks before, and I can't wait to amplify them and turn them up even more!

Next I am constructing a custom fiberglass sub box for the rear left cove to house a JL Audio 10W1 V3. I chose this spot as it still allows full access to the spare tire, and the jack / tools are under the passenger side cove. The JL sub only uses 0.55 cu/ft of space in a sealed enclosure, so there is plenty of airspace in this location. I will be installing a Precision Power 5 channel amp that will push 90 watts to each door, and 350 watts to the subwoofer. This should provide a decent setup and has only cost me $500 so far including installation materials!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3400[1].JPG
    IMG_3400[1].JPG
    700.4 KB · Views: 4,473
  • IMG_3401[1].JPG
    IMG_3401[1].JPG
    738.7 KB · Views: 4,679
  • IMG_3407[1].JPG
    IMG_3407[1].JPG
    631.3 KB · Views: 4,688
  • IMG_3429[1].JPG
    IMG_3429[1].JPG
    616.4 KB · Views: 4,282
  • IMG_3433[1].JPG
    IMG_3433[1].JPG
    668.4 KB · Views: 4,309
Last edited:
More pics of the custom fiberglass enclosure for the subwoofer

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3437[1].JPG
    IMG_3437[1].JPG
    910.7 KB · Views: 4,275
  • IMG_3438[1].JPG
    IMG_3438[1].JPG
    647.3 KB · Views: 4,405
  • IMG_3441[1].jpg
    IMG_3441[1].jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 4,187
  • IMG_3440[1].JPG
    IMG_3440[1].JPG
    587 KB · Views: 6,512
Last edited:
Sub box finished pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3443[1].JPG
    IMG_3443[1].JPG
    860.4 KB · Views: 4,607
  • IMG_3444[1].JPG
    IMG_3444[1].JPG
    867.3 KB · Views: 5,643
Very good job. Nice to see you start to mod the new cx9.

Question: why you add a subwoofer? You don't have a model with factory subwoofer?

I would like to change just the speakers in the doors. I do it in my old cx9 2011 sport and installed Infinity Speakers. OMG what a difference. I added a subwoofer with an amplifier later. I had very good audio. I don't want too much power, just better bass and quality. I had great results with my cheap upgrade.

But now I have the BOSE audio in my new cx9 GT 2016, so I'm only planning to change the speakers on the doors only. I'm planning to install again, Infinity speakers. Can you please let me know the size of the speakers and if the rear speakers are the same size and power compared with the speakers in the front doors?

Do you finish your upgrade? Where do you plan to install your amplifier?

Very nice. I was thinking of a similar setup in my CX-9 only I have a Bose system. Fiberglass is probably the way to go, I was thinking of 3D printing my enclosure as I have a quite large 3D printer capable of printing such a thing. Not sure how I would hook up the amp/sub to the head unit though.... these new cars are out of my comfort level... was much easier when every stereo system was some variation of a DIN sized unit.

Very good job. Nice to see you start to mod the new cx9.

Question: why you add a subwoofer? You don't have a model with factory subwoofer?

I would like to change just the speakers in the doors. I do it in my old cx9 2011 sport and installed Infinity Speakers. OMG what a difference. I added a subwoofer with an amplifier later. I had very good audio. I don't want too much power, just better bass and quality. I had great results with my cheap upgrade.

But now I have the BOSE audio in my new cx9 GT 2016, so I'm only planning to change the speakers on the doors only. I'm planning to install again, Infinity speakers. Can you please let me know the size of the speakers and if the rear speakers are the same size and power compared with the speakers in the front doors?

Do you finish your upgrade? Where do you plan to install your amplifier?

Mine was a non-Bose model, so the front and rear door speakers were 6.5". Without the 9" "Woofers" that the Bose system has in the front doors, the stock bass was lacking. Now with the JL 10" sub, the system is outstanding with true home theater clarity and that immersive sound.

Mine was a non-Bose model, so the front and rear door speakers were 6.5". Without the 9" "Woofers" that the Bose system has in the front doors, the stock bass was lacking. Now with the JL 10" sub, the system is outstanding with true home theater clarity and that immersive sound.

Thanks for the great feedback. So the BOSE model have different speakers for Front and Back doors? Perhaps do you recommend different speakers for the speakers on the rear doors?

When I had the cx9 v6 sport I purchased in 2011, I changed speakers in the front door for a pair of Infinity and OMG was amazing the difference. Very crisp and powerfull high freqs! I miss this special highs!

Had my 2016 CX-9 now for a few days.

It makes no sense for me to add a sub to the back unless I change out the speakers as well... The system is ridiculously bass-y. I like most types of electronic music so you'd think I would like the bass....but it really muddles the sound. I find myself with Treble close to max and Bass two notches down to bring back some clarity to the music. I wish it was the opposite problem so I could transfer the bass to the trunk and have it complement the music rather than have a bass-y sound right next to me.

Had my 2016 CX-9 now for a few days.

It makes no sense for me to add a sub to the back unless I change out the speakers as well... The system is ridiculously bass-y. I like most types of electronic music so you'd think I would like the bass....but it really muddles the sound. I find myself with Treble close to max and Bass two notches down to bring back some clarity to the music. I wish it was the opposite problem so I could transfer the bass to the trunk and have it complement the music rather than have a bass-y sound right next to me.

The BOSE audio system have the same issue: the system is very "bass-y". I have treble to the max but still notice I need more. I will change the door speakers (I already have a factory subwoofer).

Nice work on the sub enclosure, guaranteed that sounds better than the Bose unit. I actually prefer getting the non-Bose model because it makes it easier to upgrade. You can always do better than Bose when you start shopping for aftermarket gear.

Is there any great resource for taking off these panels, making install on speakers for those who are not in the realm of build your own enclosure to make significant improvement on the stock system.

Great install and thank you for the information.

I have just received my infinity speakers (dash and door) and was wondering which wire is positive & negative in the dash.

On the front right dash speaker I have a pink and a green wire. The green wire seems to go to the side with the capacitor. On another Mazda thread the green wire was identified as negative.
Any help would be most appreciative.

Have you uploaded any videos to YouTube on the custom sub enclosure and what about the location of amplifier?

Back