New tire suggestions for 17" 2013 CX-5

cx5tepr

:
cx-5
My OEM Geolandar G91 tires are nearing the wear bars and one of the tires has a leak I constantly refill. So I am thinking about ordering tires online and getting them installed at a local shop.

I am considering one of:
- Yokohama avid ascend
- Continental Truecontact
- Continental Crosscontact LX
- Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus

Does anyone have experience with these or have suggestions what to do?

Can I just order any 225/65R17 size tire with H speed rating, and have a shop install them?

Thanks for suggestions

New tire suggestions for 17" 2013 CX-5

I got Michelin defender ltx ms about a week ago from discount tire with certificate for a total of approx 785 OTD w/ 70 rebate it would be approx 715. So far I like it very much compared to oem Yokohama.
Edit: it has excellent reviews on tire rack or anywhere I read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My OEM Geolandar G91 tires are nearing the wear bars and one of the tires has a leak I constantly refill. So I am thinking about ordering tires online and getting them installed at a local shop.

I am considering one of:
- Yokohama avid ascend

Can I just order any 225/65R17 size tire with H speed rating, and have a shop install them?

Thanks for suggestions

How long did your tires last?

I am considering one of:
- Yokohama avid ascend

Thanks for suggestions
Here is another recent discussion for the same topic:

Which tires for 2014 Touring model and from where?

Personally I prefer General AltiMax RT43 tire which is top rated grand touring all-season tire for this size, 225/65R17 102H, by TireRack consumers. The price is much lower than others with good rating and recommended by many such as Continental TrueContact tire.

General AltiMax RT43 is a H rated grand touring all-season tire which has 700 A A UTQG, 51 psi maximum inflation pressure, and weighted 25 lbs. The price tag is $104.76 each at TireRack.

Continental TrueContact is a T rated standard touring all-season tire which has 800 A B UTQG, 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and weighted 28 lbs. The price tag is $113.45 each at TireRack.

Gereral AltiMax RT43 is a superior tire according to the specs with higher maximum inflation pressure, lighter weight, better temperature UTQG (very few tires rated as poor as B like TrueContact), but with lower price. And I have them on my Honda CR-V and feel they're the best tires I've ever had for the CR-V.

You can order any tires yourself and take it to a local tire shop. I just prefer Discount Tires as they have a good online selection, good local stock, multiple locations around my city (in case I get a flat tire), they do free repairs even for non customers. They price match. Zero hassles with their extended warranties too.

Oh and free lifetime rotations and balancing.

You can order any tires yourself and take it to a local tire shop. I just prefer Discount Tires as they have a good online selection, good local stock, multiple locations around my city (in case I get a flat tire), they do free repairs even for non customers. They price match. Zero hassles with their extended warranties too.

Oh and free lifetime rotations and balancing.
i agree, one of the better local resources (goes by the name of Americas Tire Store in my town and many others) whom I always cross-shop with TireRack and Costco, my other go-to favs.

i agree, one of the better local resources (goes by the name of Americas Tire Store in my town and many others) whom I always cross-shop with TireRack and Costco, my other go-to favs.
America's Tire and Discount Tire are the same company.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll definitely inquire at costco and discount tire. I'm also intrigued by the general altimax tires. seems general is the american branch of continental, interestingly enough

I got the TrueContacts this past winter an have been very happy with them. I'll probably put the same thing on my wife's 2015 Pilot this fall.

The wife is about to hit 40k on her set of Firestone Destination LE. They have gotten her to work and back on snow and ice, are not tricky on wet roads, have great cornering (she drives like she's in a racecar) and simply great traction overall. They have been rotated once a year and are wearing the most evenly I have ever seen a set of tires wear. They still have loads of tread left. I can see her (barring a puncture situation) easily getting 65k out of these. I would buy this set again in a heartbeat.
Note: (because of a freak tire incident, her oem tires/wheels were replaced with the Firestones and a set of Sport Edition 7 spoke wheels at 120 miles on the odo. The Firestones have been on the vehicle since the first week of August, 2012)

I'm in the market for tires, also, as the 5 we just bought has the Geolander tires at or near the wear bars with 53K on the odo. I didn't notice them when we were looking at the vehicle at the dealer. I would love to stay below $450 shipped, and then I'll probably get Discount Tire or another local shop to install them.

I've been a long-time Discount Tire Direct customer, well over 10 years now, but DTD has absolutely nothing in the $80-$100 price range for this size. 225/65-17 tire prices jump from $75 to $101 and go up from there. Meanwhile TireRack has plenty of offerings in that price range. Looks like the Sumitomo HTR Enhance L/X and C/X has lots of good reviews, at about $86 each, plus $17 to ship. Figure in installation and I should be right around $500 total.

Not sure if I should go for the L/X H-rated 600 A A or the C/X T-rated A B. Less than $1 difference, but I'm leaning towards the L/X mainly because of the A A ratings.

I have a 2015 sport 6spd manual and I am about 5k away from needing tires. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how their replacement tires bought have affected mpg. I drive all highway for work and average 33mpg driving mostly highway. Upon reading reviews on tirerack many point out almost all these tires cause a decrease in mpg.

New tires have more tread depth which mashes & squirms more than worn tires which uses a bit more energy and reduces mileage on new vs the same worn tires. The rubber also ages and gets harder over time so old tires will roll easier, also the new tire is slightly larger so you go further for the same indicated mileage so new tires take you a bit further than worn which uses more gas. Some of the after break in increase in mileage can come from this...

Last edited:
Back