New tire suggestions for 17" 2013 CX-5

I'm in the market for tires, also, as the 5 we just bought has the Geolander tires at or near the wear bars with 53K on the odo. I didn't notice them when we were looking at the vehicle at the dealer. I would love to stay below $450 shipped, and then I'll probably get Discount Tire or another local shop to install them.

I've been a long-time Discount Tire Direct customer, well over 10 years now, but DTD has absolutely nothing in the $80-$100 price range for this size. 225/65-17 tire prices jump from $75 to $101 and go up from there. Meanwhile TireRack has plenty of offerings in that price range. Looks like the Sumitomo HTR Enhance L/X and C/X has lots of good reviews, at about $86 each, plus $17 to ship. Figure in installation and I should be right around $500 total.

Not sure if I should go for the L/X H-rated 600 A A or the C/X T-rated A B. Less than $1 difference, but I'm leaning towards the L/X mainly because of the A A ratings.
I use Discount Tire all the time too even though we have Costco next to it. Discount Tire can always order ANY tires you want even if it's not on their inventory list. If I were you I'd go to local Discount Tire store and see what they can do for the price range I prefer. Personally I'd get H-rated General AltiMax RT43 which is highly recommended by many with $5 more than your maximum planned budget for each tire. But its weight is 5 lbs lighter than Sumitomo HTR Enhance L/X and C/X you preferred which is very significant!

Oh well, just got the HTR Enhance L/X tires mounted up this morning. Total shipped price from Tire Rack + mount/balance at Firestone was right at $500.

Oh well, just got the HTR Enhance L/X tires mounted up this morning. Total shipped price from Tire Rack + mount/balance at Firestone was right at $500.
Not trying to argue with your decision but I just did a price quote for 4 tires from my local Discount Tire as a future reference for other forum members:

General AltiMax RT43 225/65R17 102H -> $424.00
Tire Disposal Fee -> $10.00
Installation, Lifetime Road Hazard & Spin Balance -> $64.00
Texas 8.25% Sales Tax -> $35.81
Total "Out the Door" Price -> $533.81

One good thing of buying tires from Discount Tire is 75,000-mile warranty on this General AltiMax RT43 tire. If this tire wears out before 75,000 miles, you can easily get prorated credit toward any new set of tires from them on the spot. No waiting and no hassles!

Those AltiMax RT43's H-rated are $462 shipped from DTD online. How are they so much cheaper at the store? I guess they come close with sales tax added.

I usually do the Free Replacement certificates from Discount Tire, and I had to use one on my Integra once. Had a tire that was 2-3 years old, puncture near the edge, plugs failed, couldn't patch it. I called up DTD with my info, and they sent me another tire for only the cost of another Free Replacement certificate, which was only $13. Didn't even have to send the old tire back. Can't beat that!

In the case of these tires from Tire Rack, I was right at $500 OTD, and they included their version of DTD's free replacement certificates.

Last edited:
Hi. I know you posted this a while back but I'm also considering buying the General Altimax RT43 tires for my CX-5. Did you get the H rated or T rated tires? Do you still have these tires on your car and if so how do you like them now? Thanks!

General ALTIMAX RT43 OR Continental TrueContact. Ed

Back