Checking trans fluid video

What?!

In order to check the trans fluid the air filter box has to be removed from a warm engine and while the engine is running, without a air filter, the fluid can then be checked? Wow, that's some crappy design.

What?!
In order to check the trans fluid the air filter box has to be removed from a warm engine and while the engine is running, without a air filter, the fluid can then be checked? Wow, that's some crappy design.
I laughed when I heard:

"Rub some fluid between finger and thumb, the fluid should be almost clear or certainly pinkish!"

I've seen other videos and Mazda Genuine ATF FZ looks dark-greenish or dark-bluefish, certainly NOT traditional pinkish! Not to mention by wearing a rubber glove, how can you "feel" the true condition of the ATF?

I like my '98 Honda CR-V, the easiest one changing the ATF! No need to jack up the vehicle. Nothing needs to be removed, no bolt holding the ATF dipstick. The best is Honda gives you the ATF capacity spec in owner's manual for AT drain-and-fill, I don't even bother to measure the volume of used fluid drained!

For me the easiest AT fluid change is on my 2003 Silverado Duramax w/Allison trans. Just pull the drain plug (like in a motor oil change) spin off the external filter and replace. No jacking required either.

What?!

Supposed to be a "sealed" unit, I'm guessing the dipstick was a small courtesy item. Or you could possibly remove the bottom panels and check from underneath, dunno, haven't done it yet, and I've yet to hear how some other people on this site have checked the actual level with the engine running and up to temperature. Particularly with a fluid change, simply replacing what came out with the same amount doesn't cut it with me.

Last edited:
I get my arm down to it and I certainly don't have the smallest arms. I'd be careful around the radiator fan though. No need to take everything apart like that video showed. Definitely not a sealed unit. I'm probably gonna swap out 4-5 quarts in January. I already have the fluid. Just drop the front part of under shield. I'll know after the first drain how much will be needed in future. This is one of those things you want to be exact on so I picked up one of these. I'll probably add some additional markings since I think around 5 quarts is drained. I think the bolt is there just to turn away most from doing it themselves. My Infiniti has one on dipstick too.

s-l225.jpg

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123846978-Auto-transmission-dipstick

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123853015-Change-automatic-transmission-fluid/page5

I get my arm down to it and I certainly don't have the smallest arms. I'd be careful around the radiator fan though. No need to take everything apart like that video showed. Definitely not a sealed unit. I'm probably gonna swap out 4-5 quarts in January. I already have the fluid. Just drop the front part of under shield. I'll know after the first drain how much will be needed in future. This is one of those things you want to be exact on so I picked up one of these. I'll probably add some additional markings since I think around 5 quarts is drained. I think the bolt is there just to turn away most from doing it themselves. My Infiniti has one on dipstick too.

cache.php

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123846978-Auto-transmission-dipstick

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123853015-Change-automatic-transmission-fluid/page5
You've managed to snake your arm down there? I'll have to give a second look.

⋯ I've yet to hear how some other people on this site have checked the actual level with the engine running and up to temperature. Particularly with a fluid change, simply replacing what came out with the same amount doesn't cut it with me.
I agree. We should measure the ATF with the dipstick after the change. It's highly possible the factory fill on ATF is low (to save some money?) like many people experienced on engine coolant, engine oil and rear differential.

That's why I really like Honda giving you a spec of capacity for drain-and-fill on its automatic transmission!

Supposed to be a "sealed" unit, I'm guessing the dipstick was a small courtesy item. Or you could possibly remove the bottom panels and check from underneath, dunno, haven't done it yet, and I've yet to hear how some other people on this site have checked the actual level with the engine running and up to temperature. Particularly with a fluid change, simply replacing what came out with the same amount doesn't cut it with me.

I agree. We should measure the ATF with the dipstick after the change. It's highly possible the factory fill on ATF is low (to save some money?) like many people experienced on engine coolant, engine oil and rear differential.

That's why I really like Honda giving you a spec of capacity for drain-and-fill on its automatic transmission!

+2 If it was low to start with filling with the same amount still makes it low.

At least in my CX-5 the engine oil and coolant were levels were stop on.

You say that the rear differential might come from the factory low? Great, it's 20 degrees in my garage. I don't want to be crawling around under my brand new car checking levels.

Back