Mild build in progress. Best way to push boost to 10-12 psi

Brooksie

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
First thread here on the forum. Just completed what I would consider a mild build to my block. k1 rods, wiseco pistons, balanced crank, all that good stuff. Debating what I am gonna do with the head. But anyway, the car has a front mount, wideband, and I'm assuming stock turbo. Was originally gonna build to have fun at stock boost pressure without fear of blowing the engine. ( I have an extra tranny and lsd) Now I am debating adding more boost. This isn't my first build but it is my 1st msp. Just want to ask you guys what options are out as far as engine management and piggybacks and what all else is out there and what would be a safe level of boost to run. I have heard of horror stories of these engines so I wanna play it safe. Kinda

With a forged motor and proper tuning you can run as much boost as you want. Some people push 20+. I am running ~13 but I haven't installed my 440 injectors yet, I plan to push 15-16 on the stock turbo before I upgrade.

AS far as tuning what are some options out there. I have only used MSPNP and that was on a NA2 Miata.

I have never used Haltech but I know people who have. I heard they are awesome but you have to pay a pretty penny. Besides I am not trying to do anything too crazy. I prefer a little more basic plug and play that I can tune a little bit to run more boost.

For you power goal, Orange Virus' Chip would be your best solution for tuning. They recently cracked the stock ecu, with it you have access to the oem fuel/ignition maps and more. No need to cut up wiring and spend hours programming a standalone. No cel, no problems with emissions or driveability.

click

Cheapest and easiest way is still going to be the Split Second Air/Fuel Controller, there are preloaded maps on this site you can use to get your tune in the right ballpark and you can tweak the map from there. You can probably get away with running 12psi on the stock ECU but you may get fuel cut occasionally, the stock tune is very rich but should lean out with more boost.

You're right about the AFC being cheapest/easiest. I ran one for a few years and a buddy has one on his msp. It got rid of fuel cut and smoothed things out a bit but I found the afrs to be very inconsistent. The stock ecu was constantly learning around any changes I would make. To each their own I guess.

I was looking into an AEM FIC. I just want it to be safe. I want to directly tune the afr's. Time is of no importance. Money is always a limitation but I know I do not want a standalone. I can build a pretty good engine but there is nothing I can do if it detonates because of bad tuning. 10-12 is what I am aiming for, but if I can get more safely I'll try it out. As long as I aint running lean I'm happy.

No offence but the AEM FIC would be a huge waste of time and money. There's a lot more to set it up than you'd think. It's also pretty out dated and lacks technical support. Go with the Split Second AFC or get the stock Ecu chipped.

No offence but the AEM FIC would be a huge waste of time and money. There's a lot more to set it up than you'd think. It's also pretty out dated and lacks technical support. Go with the Split Second AFC or get the stock Ecu chipped.
No offense taken. Its just one of the few piggybacks I have worked with. But it was in a toyota. It worked really well. However I know all cars are different.

I have never heard of this orange virus chip, is this a new thing and safe? Also is it worth it for me to do the switch from my SSAFC to this orange virus chip thing?

I am interested in this orange virus chip. Can't wait to see a guinea pig car and see how it does.

Back