On my 3rd windshield

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
On average, my windshields last around 3 months before they need replacing. My last one made it 6 months, but was broken on day 3 in such a way that it needed replacing, and I just waited until it was broken again on the next road-trip I took, to get it replaced. Before that, it lasted a few months. About 5. Anyway, I went with Safelite's "house" glass this time, and am curious if it will hold up longer. At this point I would have been out a minimum over $1,000, and had I replaced my glass when it was destroyed on rock #1 instead of waiting for rock #2, $16-1800 total. My PSA: these cars break glass like candy! If you are not carrying $0 deductible glass coverage, you're gamblin'! Will update after the Safelite glass takes a few hits.

what? i've had mine 2 years and have no signs of needing a replacement. whats going on thats making you replace these? I'd imagine replacements aren't as strong as OEM but don't quote me on that.

what? i've had mine 2 years and have no signs of needing a replacement. whats going on thats making you replace these? I'd imagine replacements aren't as strong as OEM but don't quote me on that.

My OEM broke fast and easy, so did the OEM replacement. I am now going to see if the Safelite glass is any better. Any rock AT ALL will instantly destroy these things in my experience.

This morning I thought about this when I heard a loud CLACK in my windshield from some rock/debris but upon inspection it was good. Maybe the NA models have thinner windshields?

Yeah, the windshield on CX-5 is weak without saying. And it's expensive to replace too. Mine cost $868 to replace when it was cracked at sensor area during a hail storm earlier this year. And it's the only car had windshield damage among many cars parked around our CX-5! No wonder the parts guy said I was lucky there's no back order for my windshield. He said for 2014 CX-5, the windshield had been back-ordered for a whole year until the after-market windshield became available! Just check the NHTSA website and see overwhelming number of complaints on CX-5's windshield! And Mazda in Taiwan has expanded windshield warranty coverage after the protest by many CX-5 owners there, which will replace the windshield for free even if the windshield is damaged by the flying rock!

I had a rock chip 6 months back and Safelite fixed it through insurance. Glass didn't need replacement. No problems after that.

Each rock strike is different, I grant that, but I have NEVER replaced a windshield on a domestic for rock debris damage (I did once after a wreck. Even then it was because the glass was scratched, not broken). My Japanese cars...every one of 'em has had windshield issues, but this CX-5 is in a league all its own! My corvette and Jeep? They took rock hits so hard that I literally scraped rock and glass powder from the divots as I inspected the hits! Never even a crack! Sure, I do have a small sample size, but my issues are mirrored by much larger sample sizes.

Get the zero deductible glass coverage! It PAYS FOR THE REST OF YOUR INSURANCE FOR THE YEAR, IN MY CASE!

Not sure if Safelite actually makes their own windshields here in the US. Reference the manufacturer/country of origin by DOT here http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db

DIY Fixed about 4 chips on OEM windshield over 3 year span before a large crack developed. Replaced with a chinese brand FY (Fuyao) through a local windshield replacement company. About $220 cash installed with new sealant plus lifetime chip repair. About 6 months old and so far so good.

I've had numerous hits and no breaks yet. Some are unlucky I guess

I drive 50 miles a day and have had my windshield hit by all kinds of debris and have had no cracking occur as of yet, but my stepdaughter had to have hers replaced on her CX5 about a year ago. Her car has a build date 3 months newer than mine. She lives on the middle of a hill and her driveway is positioned as such that the vehicle has to flex a bit to get in so I always thought that might have been a factor. She had it replaced from Safelite and hasn’t had any issues yet. Her windshield cracked right behind the rearview mirror.

There does seem to be something with the aerodynamics/height of the car and the angle of the windshield....just seems like a high number of complaints about breakage, more than what I'd consider likely average for any given vehicle overall. I've had several direct hits from rocks or other debris already, and luckily just two chips that aren't traveling/cracking further. That being said, I had to replace my last vehicle's (2010 Mazda6) windshield after a rock kicked up by another vehicle cracked the whole thing, and the rain sensor after the replacement never seemed to work quite as well even after adjustment/calibration (whatever it required). Not sure if the aftermarket glass didn't place the sensor in the right spot or if they damaged it during the repair. So, I'm leery about having to do the same for my CX-5, given the add'l sensors/cameras involved with a glass replacement.

Wow bro! That's crazy! I've done some serious off roading with lots of twists and windshield/sunroof is doing fine. I got hit by a flying rock and thought for sure my windshield was done,,, not even a scratch!

On our 3rd CX-5 here, and still on the original windshields... (drinks)

My OEM windshield cracked about 3 months into owning the car...had it sealed, as the crack was small. A few months later, something hit the windshield on the highway, and the crack slowly ran the length of the windshield. Replaced the whole thing through Safelight, and have had no problems since (touch wood).

My new Safelite windshield is still doing well! Taken some hard hits, has a few chips out of it, but no cracks, stars, or anything. Definitely superior to the Mazda thus far.

My new Safelite windshield is still doing well! Taken some hard hits, has a few chips out of it, but no cracks, stars, or anything. Definitely superior to the Mazda thus far.

I have to ask, what are the roads like where you are that you're taking hard hits and getting chips taken out on a regular basis? Here in upstate NY our roads aren't the best but I might have two (2) rocks hit my windshield over the course of a year! And I drive between 12 - 15K miles a year. A mix of rural, city and highway driving.

I have to ask, what are the roads like where you are that you're taking hard hits and getting chips taken out on a regular basis? Here in upstate NY our roads aren't the best but I might have two (2) rocks hit my windshield over the course of a year! And I drive between 12 - 15K miles a year. A mix of rural, city and highway driving.

The highways are beautiful, but with construction in the area, there is a lot of gravel on the road. That got one windshield, the other was gotten on a Texas highway, also beautiful. I tried 20-30k miles a year.

Back