Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mazda3: Is it worth it to get the 2.5 engine?

Registered Member

2011 Mazda 3 sport GX with every option [wanted the small engine

My experience

I am on my 4th 3s, this time I bought the 2.5, GT, fully loaded, all packages. Love love love it!!! But the gas mileage SUCKS compared to the 2 litre. But unfortunately you cant get all the comfort goodies with a 2 litre. No regrets just stunned by the poor fuel economy compared to my 2 litre 3's. Info........When the 2.5 is full of gas, range is approx 100 km less than my 2
    Last edited by banjaboy; 07-22-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Missed something

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

Buyers in China can get the 1.5 liter Skyactive engine in a Mazda3. I'm guessing that engine gets better gas mileage than the 2 liter version. It could be that the 2.0L may have a less restrictive exhaust manifold compared to the 2.5L 3. This may explain why the 6 gets almost the same gas mileage as the 3 with the same engine. The 6's exhaust manifold plumbing takes advantage of the extra space in the 6. Still, the 2.5L 3 auto is the quickest (latest generation) by a good amount, Mazda outside of the MX5. That is the price we pay.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, Magnaflow)
    2002 Protege ES (Sold for $1700 with 131,000 miles)

Mazda CX-5 GT Red

We've had both. But the 2.0 was a 6spd manual. It is actually peppier than the 2.5. I hated to sell that one, it was a better driving car than the GT.

Along with the bigger engine you get a lot of other options, the bigger nicer wheels (that ride worse) as well as leather and roof, nav, if you like that kind of stuff. There was a big price difference from a iTouring to a GT, about five or six grand. So it's not just the motor.

We liked them both but one went back on lease and the other we traded off at 2-years for a CX-5. The 3 was too small and too noisy. I guess for 17 they have improved sound deadening on them. The '5 is church-quiet.
    Chris Brown
    So-Cal
    2017 CX-5 Grand Touring Soul Red Crystal

Registered Member

2011 Mazda 3 sport GX with every option [wanted the small engine

just discovered the tank on my 2013 was 5 or 10 litres smaller than the 2017????????? I haven't had a chance to calculate mileage other than with the "range" displayed. but regardless, the 2.5 is light years ahead of my old 2013 2 litre. twice the balls, quieter, solid feel, love bit!

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

2011 BMW 528i & 2015 Mazda 6

the 2L is just... really lacking. you have to rev the piss out of it to get going. think about this... 185 ft/lb at 3250RPM vs 150 torque at 4000RPM... big difference.. the 2.5 has enough passing power to easily overtake in the city. now on the highway, EVEN the 2.5 can feel somewhat lacking at times and the 2L is just useless. for even somewhat spirited drivers, you will NOT be happy with the 2.0L engine. I've tried one in the smaller and lighter Mazda 3 and was not impressed at all. it was getting WORSE MPG.

better low-end torque = efficiency. the larger motor has plenty of get-up and go once you hit 3000RPM whereas the 2L you are practically flooring it to get any power. it's not efficient in the hands of a spirited driver at all. the 2.5L has a lovely bassy snarl as it rips through the rev-range and genuinely sounds quite good for a 4 cylinder engine. nothing beats the steady swelling pull all the way to redline and throttle response of a larger engine... if you prefer the 2L, you either havent driven the 2.5 or have absolutely zero demands for any sort of passing power.

plus, one big advantage (for spirited drivers) is not only the far superior throttle response, but the shift-points when downshifting are improved dramatically. with the 2.5L all you have to do is drop one or two gears to tap into all the torque whereas the smaller motor is practically giving you everything it's got with a super aggressive downshift. again. you will get WORSE fuel economy unless you drive the speed limit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12