Guide How to clean throttle body Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv G

Wasn't aware of any graphite coating on the throttle plate edges so will have to wait and see. There was definite carbon buildup on the walls on both sides of the plate which was the focus of my cleaning. Didn't have any DTC's or warning lights and did disconnect the battery neg terminal. It idles and runs smoother and throttle response is nicer and I don't think I'm suffering from the placebo effect.

I'm pretty "in tune" with how it runs and notice changes. Will have to say that in the last few months, I've noticed three things that made improvements in smoothness and how it responds:
1) changing to Castrol Edge 0w-20 motor oil vs. what the dealer used in prior changes. I've noticed over the years the difference in oils. Some just seem 'slicker' than others and some felt 'dry' if that makes any sense. I remember years ago that Castrol introduced a motor oil called"START_UP" that contained some group 5 full synthetic (ester) and it made for some really smooth idle, but the effect didn't last.
2) doing 2 D&D on transmission fluid
3) cleaning the throttle body

Maybe I got too much time on my hands. LOL. Keep the faith. Jmaz

Yeah, that black ring on the throttle plate is a factory applied graphite like coating that helps prevent carbon/varnish from sticking to the plate edges. :/
Do you mean there is a coating on the actual thin edges of the throttle plate.The throttle plate was almost completely closed so minimal cleaning (with brush) on edges.I saw no coating on anything unless it was clear.Where is this information listed in some detail? Thanks

I didn't notice his was a 2014--maybe they didn't use it on Gen 1? My 2017 has about a 5mm wide defined black ring of "painted" on material on the back side of the throttle plate. I know OEM's have experimented with various coatings on the plate and throttle bore to mitigate soot/varnish build up.

My 2014 CX5 throttle valve didn't have any pre-sludge coating either, apart from gray graphite paint less than an inch in length at both ends of the throttle valve's shaft. But throttle body cleaner doesn't dissolve that gray graphite paint.

In 1996 Ford patented a pre-sludged coating around the throttle plate/bore interface, using a sealant that is cured with ultraviolet light to maintain better air flow control over the life of the throttle body:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5640942A/en

Good write-up however 12k (miles) is pretty low mileage. This is something that I would consider at 60-90k. The amount of carbon seen there is really insignificant. Anything behind the throttle body will not have much impact either unless it was causing a restriction.
I thought the same thing.. all engine parts looked so clean, and the throttle, too. I wonder what mine looks like after 120K miles.

I thought the same thing.. all engine parts looked so clean, and the throttle, too. I wonder what mine looks like after 120K miles.
It might depend on driving conditions and habits. Maybe the fuel? Could the type of oil matter?
I guess deposits come from the egr?

I think the symptoms are about idle and low speed operation. It might surge, etc.

I attribute the build-up mine had was due to a lot of short trips which allowed for condensation of oily vapors which mixed with the exhaust gases tapped off for EGR.Just my theory.
In days of old where the carburetor reigned supreme,everything from the carb to the intake valves was cleaned continually from the flow of gasoline and air.Throttle body and fuel injection,and now direct injection ,and with EGR gases injected into the intake manifold, makes for some nasty looking stuff inside.It's normal,but nasty.

Cleaning Throttle Body is a bit overkill in this case, or ?? :oops:
Not sure which 'case' you are referring to, but a smoother idle and definite improvement in throttle response is worth the small amount of time and labor I put forth.

That page says to put it in the gas. The gas doesn't touch the throttle plate on Mazda's 2.5G direct fuel injected engine.

Latest posts

Back