Guide How to clean throttle body Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv G

Hi Guys, just wanna share some maintenance DIY. To get an idea what is going on with the inside on the Skyactiv G engine (Intake side).

Job: Cleaning Throttle Body
Vehicle: Mazda CX 5
Kms: 20000+ kms
Tools: Screw driver, clean rag towel, Ratchet 12mm, 10mm, 8mm socket & Torque wrench
Additional: Throttle body cleaner / Equivalent

Viola! Check for air leakage whilst idling. Take the car for a drive. End result should give you a better throttle response and mpg.

Pretty cool write up and good photos. I may try this when I have time. On the throttle body where the 4 holes for bolts go- was there sealant or just bolts? The throttle body's walls are now smoother after cleanup. Should help with airflow. I'd likely change the orange gasket/o-ring though.

I would also check the MAF as well but I'll probably use compressed air for it. You may need to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes when doing so as to allow the computer to reset. Especially if its considerably "cleaner" afterwards.

Last edited:
Pretty cool write up and good photos. I may try this when I have time. On the throttle body where the 4 holes for bolts go- was there sealant or just bolts? The throttle body's walls are now smoother after cleanup. Should help with airflow. I'd likely change the orange gasket/o-ring though.

I would also check the MAF as well but I'll probably use compressed air for it. You may need to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes when doing so as to allow the computer to reset. Especially if its considerably "cleaner" afterwards.

Thank you CX-5um there are only 4 bolts without sealant on the TB. Yes it would be better to replace the rubber gasket on the TB for the peace of mind , but i would think that the rubber gasket on my vehicle still have some life to it so i did not bother to changed it.

Yes thank you for the reminder regarding MAF sensor i totally forgot about cleaning it , maybe on the weekend i will take a look at it .

Last edited:
This is why I wanted to have my PCV’s vent to atmosphere. But since this is not a performance car and the bottom PCV valve is a PINA to reach I left it a lone for now.

You can reach it by undoing the starter, you can reference jbr catch can install.

I'm having trouble disconnecting TB wire harness. Is there a clip I need to press on?

Last edited:
Good write-up however 12k (miles) is pretty low mileage. This is something that I would consider at 60-90k. The amount of carbon seen there is really insignificant. Anything behind the throttle body will not have much impact either unless it was causing a restriction.

Just performed a terra clean fuel injector and combustion chamber cleaning on our 2014 CX5 GT with the 2.5 skyactiv(50k miles).
Results were impressive! Immediately I noticed the car had much more low-end torque casually taking off from stop-lights while my wife drove. She also managed to pickup 1.5mpg via info display. I also took note that the 6th gear cruise "lugging" sound (due to being in too high of a gear) has greatly diminished.
I use to be a long-time skeptic of this kind of stuff having walnut-blasted multiple direct-injection engines and have only typically had success with a GM-TOP ENGINE CLEAN chemical soaking and administered through vacuum ports in attempts to clean up excessive-carbon misfires.

Like i mentioned in my previous post I would reccomend something like this service at approximately 40-60k.
It would be interesting to pull of the intake manifold and see how much carbon exists on the backside of the valve. However my free-time is sparse. Perhaps I can get pictures with my o-scope of the valves and pistons to see how they look.
For now...Terra clean gets a big thumbs up!(friday)

Anxious to see how dirty my throttle body is at 60-70k miles.

In terms of the intake manifold, one could check for local shops that do walnut blasting. I notice most are VW/BMW shops. One example is the BMW shop in Socal charges $250 for the service with free gaskets and before/after vids. http://socalbmwinstalls.com/walnut-shell-blasting/

Our Mazdas see a lot of long drives. The CX-5 in particular see's 500-mile trips 3x a year and has about 60K but is not sluggish as all. So it doesn't appear its intake manifold has enough deposits to hinder performance. At least not at 60k.

Last edited:
Only way to verify the intake valves have carbon-build up is to remove the intake manifold and physically look at the valves or Use an o-scope and feed it through the intake manifold to look at the intake valves.

FWIW my throttle body had minimal carbon around the throttle body plate, when it was removed.

Last edited:
Due to my Photobucket account got some issue and i did not back up all the pictures . So this version i create a video for us to help with this DIY . Enjoy.

I would STRONGLY recommend putting an old rag and closing the intake while working, especially when putting back the gasket. 1 slip and if the gasket "disappears" a much bigger problem!

Thought I'd add to this (kinda old) thread. Today, with the aid of felixd's video above (great job felixd), I cleaned the throttle body at 45,515 miles. It had a ring of black gunk on both sides of the throttle plate (butterfly) and took a bit of scrubbing with solvent and stiff bristled brush.

As for the gasket, I can confirm that the Beck-Arnley # 039-5094 is identical to the OEM Mazda gasket P/N PE01-13-655. After seeing prices of around $20 for this little gasket, I got this gasket from ROCKAUTO for $6.61 delivered (half of the cost was for postage - the gasket was about 3.25).
Edited to add Mazda P/N PE01-13-655

Attachments

• P1000447.JPG
    P1000447.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Service bulletin SA-060/17 describes a repair procedure to remove the carbon from the throttle valve for an issue that affects some 2013-2015 CX-5s that experience the Check Engine Light ON with DTC P0101 and/or P061B :
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10111035-9999.pdf

Mazda's repair procedure is:
  1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
    NOTE: In order to reset ECM/PCM learning of the value of throttle valve, do not skip this step.
  2. Remove the throttle valve from intake-manifold and remove any carbon on it by using a throttle body cleaner.
    NOTE: DO NOT spray any cleaner directly on the throttle valve to protect it. Spray the cleaner on a cloth and gently wipe off the carbon on both side of the throttle valve.
  3. Install the throttle valve and connect the negative battery terminal.
  4. Clear the ODB2 DTCs.
  5. Test drive the vehicle, including sufficient acceleration and deceleration.
The video complements this repair procedure. But why does Mazda say not to spray any TB cleaner directly on the throttle valve? Is it to protect the shaft of the throttle valve which might have some seal or lubricant?

Yeah, that black ring on the throttle plate is a factory applied graphite like coating that helps prevent carbon/varnish from sticking to the plate edges. :/

Latest posts

Back