Oil Pan Replacement - 2007 Mazda3 2.3L

:
2007 Mazda3 2.3L
The years of going to whatever place to get the oil changed has finally caught up with me (or my car). The last two oil changes the mechanics have noted that the drain plug hole threads are stripped. An oversized drain plug was put in by one mechanic to string it along. I was selfishly hoping to sell the car prior to getting it fixed. However, I came back from a week vacation to find a big puddle of oil in my garage. Apparently the temporary fix is over.

I've started emailing around for estimates but thought I would post on here too. Only two places have gotten back so far and one said the part alone was $545. The other said they couldn't do it because it involved draining out the AC system (is this true?). Online repair estimators are $550-$700 on just labor for an oil pan gasket reseal which I imagine would take the same amount of time. I know next to nothing about cars but an estimated 5-7 hours of labor seems insane.

What should I expect as a reasonable cost to get it replaced? How many hours does the job take (by book or in reality)?

Is there anything else I can do to string it along a little longer? I never drive the car and it only sits on the street. I'm pretty annoyed since I've dropped about 1k into it in the last year with replacing the engine mounts and new tires and some other stuff. We were hoping to sell the car once we could confirm we could live on only one car which ironically was just settled.

I have ordered parts for my 91 Miata from them 3 times now. I shopped around and they had the best prices AND the lowest shipping cost. So far I have been very happy with Quirkparts.

I have ordered parts for my 91 Miata from them 3 times now. I shopped around and they had the best prices AND the lowest shipping cost. So far I have been very happy with Quirkparts.

That's great! I'll definitely take a look at them next time I'm shopping for parts.

It sounds like he already did when he mentioned the "larger drain plug".

Last edited:
Back