How to clean stuck/slow infotainment console buttons?

Hi - I've searched on the forums but can't seem to find any suggestions.
The favorite button is along with the home button in between the two seats are sticking and/or slow.
Anyone have a save way to clean them so they work properly?
Thanks!
Jim

Reactions: DRP
The music button on my '16 Touring is also sticking. I'll be anxious to see if anyone has a recommendation.

Thanks. I tried that. Issue might be caused by a liquid. Anyone have instructions for removing the cover?

Console has to be removed and the commander assembly unscrewed from the console.

Instead, I would try a small paint brush (think water colors or hobby) dip in very lightly soapy water, jab the bristles into the gap around the button, push the button a few times, then go around several times constantly dabbing in the cleanser, and then work the gap, repeat. Don't drown it, don't give it a shower, think sponge bath instead... Then let it dry a while before turning the car on and trying...

Can of compressed air or contact cleaner. Empty half the can making sure the goo goes away.

Console has to be removed and the commander assembly unscrewed from the console.

Instead, I would try a small paint brush (think water colors or hobby) dip in very lightly soapy water, jab the bristles into the gap around the button, push the button a few times, then go around several times constantly dabbing in the cleanser, and then work the gap, repeat. Don't drown it, don't give it a shower, think sponge bath instead... Then let it dry a while before turning the car on and trying...

Mixture of water and alcohol works better with a blast of canned air after. A soft bristle tooth brush could be used. Solution dries fairly fast on its own. Soapy water might leave a sticky residue, but yeah, the cover will have to be removed.

Contact cleaner won't hurt anything. A few short quick bursts should blast it loose.

I've ordered some contact cleaner and some small brushes. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Anyone have some directions on how to remove the covers around the entertainment area? I found the console but nada on the entertainment area.
Thanks

I like the alcohol method. I use isopropyl alcohol and I get the highest percent alcohol that I can find at the drug store. Usually above 90 percent.

Alcohol won't touch sugar-based stickiness. Compressed air is just...air. If it were me, I'd try the kid's paint brush idea. If that didn't work, I'd want to take it apart to clean it too.

I've ordered some contact cleaner and some small brushes. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Anyone have some directions on how to remove the covers around the entertainment area? I found the console but nada on the entertainment area.
Thanks

I would be very cautious with the contact cleaner. (drunk)

I have had bad luck with it removing writing/labels/silkscreening and even attacking some plastics. I would not want to see the label/paint on the buttons wiped off.

I would always like to see the least aggressive thing attempted first. (kiss)

I tried wd-40 and a tooth brush today on my 2016 with no luck. and it took of some of the black! so don't use wd-40. we need help with this!

likely is sugar. I had some Monster spill.....eventually the power/volume button was like before. Not saying it's clean, but its not sticky anymore.

BTW, I love where this button is and wish other brands would follow suit.

Hi, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a side question regarding this. I had looked at the 2016 CX-5 and the new Nav center and controllers situated between the seats impressed me at first. It was something different and modern, rather than have the controllers on the console in the dashboard. But the more I thought about it, I thought that placement was actually not good at all for the chance that something might spill in there - crumbs, dirt, coffee, etc. And based on this thread it got me thinking that this might happen more frequently than I thought. Is dirt, liquid, spills, etc. a problem with the location of the new control center?

I ended up getting a 2013 CX-5, where the controllers are on the dashboard.

Thom

Thom, carmakers place items based on safety and ergonomics...not based on user mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back