Recommended replacement battery?

DrWebster

:
2013 Mazda 2 Touring
So my factory battery is 5 years old and I think it's time to proactively replace it. Years ago when I had a Mazda3 I used an Optima Red Top and liked it, but Ive heard/read that their quality has significantly gone down. I don't need anything for performance, just good reliability (especially in Minnesota winters) for a daily driver. Does anyone have any recommendations?

So my factory battery is 5 years old and I think it's time to proactively replace it. Years ago when I had a Mazda3 I used an Optima Red Top and liked it, but Ive heard/read that their quality has significantly gone down. I don't need anything for performance, just good reliability (especially in Minnesota winters) for a daily driver. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Get another Red Top, they have never let me down, just don't get one from Autozone, they mark them up too high.

Best price I have found was on Amazon.

Last edited:
Google "optimajim + sorry" for some interesting reading.

This thread is particularly entertaining.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/electrical-wiring/913442-batteries-optima-alternatives.html

In a nutshell: they're garbage and no longer as good as they used to be.

I prefer stuff by East Penn Manufacturing... Made in USA. The Deka Intimidator would be the AGM equivalent of a red or yellow top.

Read what you can and form your own opinion. A friends large fleet of cars(modern DD stuff, old 4x4s, his lawn service trucks, some old British sports cars, a Trans-Am, etc. Little bit of everything) having over a dozen dead red tops over a 2 year span convinced me something went downhill. All replaced with normal lead acid or Deka Intimidators for the more abused stuff(winch on Jeeps, etc) and never an issue again.

They were dying every 9mo to 1.5 years or so.

Carquest "NGT Extreme" batteries are rebadged Deka Intimidators.

Tip: bring a multimeter with you to check any battery you're buying in a store. They lose capacity when they discharge for long periods of time.

I won't buy one if its below 12.5v... Even then its a good idea to charge it before use(NOT throw in car and drive).

Last edited:
What brand is equivalent to the factory battery? Mine is over 5 years old now and I think is about to need changed. But the reliability of the factory battery is great so i'd like one of those if possible lol.

What brand is equivalent to the factory battery? Mine is over 5 years old now and I think is about to need changed. But the reliability of the factory battery is great so i'd like one of those if possible lol.

They're from Panasonic IIRC, and last I checked you can't buy them in the US. They're truly JDM batteries, lol.

Back