hatch taillight install 2012

On the hatch part of the taillight on a 2012 there are two parts that slide over studs on the light assembly and are held on with nuts; they are designed to press against the inside of the hatch to hold the light in place when tightened down.

There is one that fits right in against the light; that one is tightening up against the metal of the hatch correctly on mine.

But the other bracket that curves out away from the lamp more (shown in the attached picture) comes up about a quarter inch short of hitting anything. I've tried rotating it around but it doesn't reach the hatch metal in any position.

Has anyone had that apart, is there something missing on mine? The one brace keeps the light from falling out but it can still flex towards the middle of the hatch and would likely leak there.

Thanks,
Trevor

Attachments

• tl.jpg
    tl.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 182
Is that a photo of invading aliens? You might want to take a more-focused shot.

That was the 'good' photo out of the bunch. It is hard to get at an angle that shows inside with enough light but doesn't wash everything out.

The important part in the picture is the inside the opening where the plastic bracket ends short of the metal hatch skin.

I'm hoping someone that has had one apart and back together before would recognize it and say "oh, yeah, it fits up against..." or "just do this to get it to hold it in". Even a link to a shop manual would be helpful.

I found a video of removing the lights but it doesn't have inside the opening lit so I can't see if the clamp is resting on anything. These are from the video:
hl1.jpg
hl2.jpg

Last edited:
For any later generations that stumble on this thread:

The key is to not try to take short cuts. Remove the light completely from the car and then put the longer 'L' shaped bracket on with it slid into the appropriate slot on the tail light (a slot that is nearly impossible to see with it in place). Then put the light back, angling it so that the plastic catches on the side go around the metal of the hatch and then reach inside the opening and, if you can, push against the bracket to move it out as far away from the tail light as the slot will allow it. Then tighten the nut down until it holds the light in place. Then do the other bracket that is easier to see and get into place with the light already installed.

Back