Cx-5 start/stop button flashing Amber

3Mazdas

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 sport
Hello,
I am new to this forum but am hoping someone could give me some ideas of how to troubleshoot the issue I am having.

About the vehicle:
2013 cx-5 sport
58k miles
Fwd/ manual transmission
No prior electrical problems or dash lights on
Did just have the pcm programming recall done on it 2-3 weeks ago and had no issues.

Today's Issue:
I was out running errands when I noticed my start/stop button was flashing orange. I read somewhere that it could be due to it not completing a cycle, and So I tried shutting the engine off and restarting it. The flashing went away so I shut down the engine and went into the store. Maybe a half hour later, I got back to the vehicle, used the fob to unlock the doors, and the hatch door would not open. I tried using the unlock button on the driver door, and that did nothing either. I started the vehicle and upon pushing button on the hatch a couple times, it opened. At this time the orange light on the start/stop button was back to flashing.

I drove to the next store, shut off the engine and was inside for about 45 minutes. I then came out to find my vehicle making a clicking sound under the hood. I popped the hood and found the sound to be coming from right side of the engine but could not pinpoint where exactly. I started the vehicle, the sound stopped and the start/stop was not flashing.

Upon getting home and shutting the vehicle back off, I heard no clicking. A half hour later, I go out to see if it is doing it again, and it's back to clicking and the back door won't open. I open the drivers door and hit the unlock button and as soon as I do, it automatically relocks. I turned the engine off and it began clicking immediately this time.

I have disconnected the battery to prevent things from getting worse and plan to make an appointment with the Mazda dealer sometime next week when I can get off work. Until that time I plan to continue to trouble shoot and any input would be helpful.

Thanks!!

From the 2015 quick start guide (of all places!):
The key indicator light in the instrument cluster will show GREEN
(engine ready to start) when the key is detected and the clutch pedal (M/T)
or the brake pedal (A/T) is pushed. If the KEY warning light illuminates
RED, or the START/STOP button indicator light flashes AMBER, this
could indicate a problem with the engine starting system and the inability
to start the engine or switch the ignition to ACC or ON. Have your vehicle
inspected at an Authorized Mazda Dealer as soon as possible

Isn't there a recall on certain models due to ignition switch wearing out? I read that somewhere but having difficulty locating it right now. Also as others have suggested, change your fob battery. It's an easy way to rule out a low battery issue. Good luck.

Did you notice a key sign with an exclamation mark in green in the dashboard? If so the key fob battery could be on its last leg causing havoc in the system. Replace the key fob battery and have the vehicle's battery checked asap.

Hey everyone,

Today I reconnected my battery and tried using the spare key/fob I had. I first tried the hatch to see if it would both unlock and open, and it did. I then started the engine to see if the light would begin flashing again, and it did not. I shut off the engine and the clicking under the hood did not begin either. The locks seem to function normally, and the only issue was the automatic window down did not work, but after turning the vehicle off and then back on it worked again.

In summary, I think you guys hit the nail on the head with the other key fob being the issue and I plan to replace the battery. I truly thank all that provided their input and wish you all a happy 4th of July!

Thanks again!

Hey everyone,

Today I reconnected my battery and tried using the spare key/fob I had. I first tried the hatch to see if it would both unlock and open, and it did. I then started the engine to see if the light would begin flashing again, and it did not. I shut off the engine and the clicking under the hood did not begin either. The locks seem to function normally, and the only issue was the automatic window down did not work, but after turning the vehicle off and then back on it worked again.

In summary, I think you guys hit the nail on the head with the other key fob being the issue and I plan to replace the battery. I truly thank all that provided their input and wish you all a happy 4th of July!

Thanks again!
Do it in both fobs; batteries are cheap!

With my 2013 cx-5 I would get a low battery warning.
I ran for weeks with the warning showing now and then, with no problems, or flashing ignition light.

Seems odd that the start guide says see the dealer for the flashing amber.

With my 2013 cx-5 I would get a low battery warning.
I ran for weeks with the warning showing now and then, with no problems, or flashing ignition light.

Seems odd that the start guide says see the dealer for the flashing amber.
In the 2014 CX-5 the key-fob low battery warning is shown in white info LCD screen on the right. It usually will last for weeks or months with this warning. The amber light on the start button may be due to a low car battery. I started suffering the blinking amber light today and startups have chugged a little more recently like a low battery especially after not driving for a few days. The only other issue was my rear wiper blade stopped mid-wipe shortly after starting the engine and then started working randomly during the drive.

If the key fob battery does not work out for you ( also try the other key ). I would check out the TSB that Bcdad182 pointed out. Apparently there is TSB on worn out ignition switches. It talks about switches worn out with the automatic transmission, but its worth a try is all else fails.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013-2014-mazda-ignition-switch-issue-1420684781414/

The fob batteries seem to drain whether or not they're used - my main key died one day and I found the spare was dead too.

Back