Anyone install Apple Carplay on 2013-2015 CX-5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfigs121

:
Mazda 5
Has anyone installed Apple Carplay into a 2013-2015 CX-5? If so, any suggestions, thoughts, etc.

Thanks.

Thom

I know there are after market units out there. Pioneer and Kenwood makes them. Maybe some others. Price is high though. $500 and up.
Oh, I thought you were asking if the software could be installed in the OE head unit.

I know there are after market units out there. Pioneer and Kenwood makes them. Maybe some others. Price is high though. $500 and up.

Oh...I wouldn't go for that because I would lose personalization capabilities and iStop screens and fuel consumption screen.

On my Kenwwod DNN991HD, I have an HDMI input and with a HDMI to USB cable, I can mirror my phone on the Kenwood. Carplay is installed on my phone. I haven't tried it yet, but it should work.

I notice some of the 3rd party head units on eBay now claim that personalization options are available in the units for '13-'15 NA models.

I placed my order for an Alpine iLX-007 unit. Its a simple Carplay centered unit. No bluetooth and no HD radio and no CD player. I am willing to give those up for simple iPhone integration. It comes on Thursday and i will have it installed on Friday. Will let you know how it goes.

CarPlay up and running

So it has been a week with my Alpine iLX-007 stereo with Apple CarPlay and I just got back from a road trip to Pennsylvania. I am so glad I made this move. It was expensive, about $800 all told with purchase and installation. CarPlay integrates flawlessly with iPhone. Navigation looks great on the screen and works well. Music app is easy to use and if you have Apple Music, all your suggestions and playlists are right there. Also used Pandora. Simply connect to the attached Lightening cable and you are up and running. I am already tied into the Apple eco system and use their Maps app and Apple Music. If you use Waze or another navigation system, then I would not recommend this. There is no bluetooth connection but I hated the bluetooth in the stock radio to begin with. And the plus is your phone charges while connected. Any questions, just ask. Attached is a picture of CarPlay

Attachments

• CarPlay.jpeg
    CarPlay.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 5,945
I've seen this in recent GM vehicles; it is the way of the future.

So it has been a week with my Alpine iLX-007 stereo with Apple CarPlay and I just got back from a road trip to Pennsylvania. I am so glad I made this move. It was expensive, about $800 all told with purchase and installation. CarPlay integrates flawlessly with iPhone. Navigation looks great on the screen and works well. Music app is easy to use and if you have Apple Music, all your suggestions and playlists are right there. Also used Pandora. Simply connect to the attached Lightening cable and you are up and running. I am already tied into the Apple eco system and use their Maps app and Apple Music. If you use Waze or another navigation system, then I would not recommend this. There is no bluetooth connection but I hated the bluetooth in the stock radio to begin with. And the plus is your phone charges while connected. Any questions, just ask. Attached is a picture of CarPlay

Where did you brought it and did you installed it yourself? I always wants to do something about the head unit, but after all I am not sure again.

I have my eye on the Pioneer NEX 4200 with both Apple Car Play and Android Auto, which is currently $700 from Crutchfield with a $100 mail in rebate but I still have a hard time coughing up $600 for a new head unit. A new head unit like this with 13 band EQ, digital time alignment, auto EQ, and every option imaginable in a new head unit could fix all the sound quality shortcomings of the bad stock HU for sure. Worst thing I hate about my stock HU is the fact that it has to load the entire song list from my iPod before it starts and it cant remember where I left off before and has to start at the same stupid song every time. The radio has a funny sound to it and the factory EQ settings make tuning difficult.

That looks great, thanks for posting up a pic. I will give it a couple of more years for the prices to go down before I get a similar unit.

If you use Waze or another navigation system, then I would not recommend this.y

Does that mean that Google Maps does not work at all? That would be the only reason I'd want to do this, so I could have traffic-aware navigation.

What about the car settings you adjust using the oem hu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that mean that Google Maps does not work at all? That would be the only reason I'd want to do this, so I could have traffic-aware navigation.

At the moment there aren't other navigation apps for CarPlay. I believe Apple is only allowing third-party music apps for now. That will probably change as it becomes more common.

Don't know if everyone saw, but Kia just announced older models will be getting Carplay update. Hyundai announced the same a little over a month ago.
COME ON MAZDA, HOOK US UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back