2016 CX-9 Pricing

got $39,995 on GT AWD, white in New Rochelle - NY, but it was a day full of disappointments at NJ dealers.

NJ dealer #1 (wayne - 30 GTs on a lot ...). matched crazy car.com prince of $39,500 (in NC ...), but low balled trade-in kbb $1500 under "good condition"

NJ #2 (lodi ... AVOID. pieces of dudu). after being insulted & screamed at for 2 hours, removing here, adding there foolishness. $40k, $500 under kbb trade-in, BUT monthly was magically $99 PLUS then what we end up getting (doc + reg fees bullcrap of $900 extra) ... that's $7k more of the loan amount they tried to scam me on ...

lessons learned:
- don't bother with NJ dealers
- research (car.com search for what options / trim you want, remove distance limit, sort by lowest). you can get invoice from truecar
- email best price dealer and confirm if that's a final price, that includes destination, what are other fees
- then email 4 local dealers if they will match that price
- NO, don't pay "doc fees" (registration, etc is about $175 in NY)
- don't believe in "limited supply" bullwacky. i've searched 5 or so dealer's inventory & they got plenty of them ... haven't seem many new cx-9s on the streets of Chicago nor ny. dealers are cooky due to "car of the year" awards, but 4 cylinder is a hard cell for american customer on a 4k lb "suv"
- negotiate trade-in price 1st

Last edited:
This is in California. $1,500 below invoice over email for a 2016 CX-9 GT AWD!

Thanks for the info. I am gonna try near the end of this month. We will see.

FYI, I anonymously sent an email to a bunch of dealers in my area (4 of them currently) telling them that I am shopping around. I have done one round and gotten down to $39.2K for the GT I am interested (AWD GT). Pretty sure if I start near the end of the month with this as the "start" price, I can chip away further.

When you say "no way near", which year is your reference point? If its 2015, then the numbers are actually better. But if its earlier (for instance 2010) then the numbers are worse. Refer to http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/mazda-cx-9-sales-figures.html

I firmly believe I can get a better than 1300 below invoice deal (infact one has already offered me $1500 below invoice over email).

If the dealers are quoting me that price over email, I bet they will lower it further down. Of course I am in no particular hurry, so I am going to fish, particularly towards the end of the month. Since they are suffering generally in terms of sales, the odds are pretty high that I can pressure them into going lower with the end of the year approaching as well.

I got quoted $41500ish for an AWD GT. Good enough or should I negotiate more?

I just got one (AWD GT Black/Black) for $39,870 ($1,265 below invoice and $3k below MSRP) without any real negotiating just by requesting offers from TrueCar. From there, I got that offer from a dealer and jumped on it. I probably could have squeezed a little more I guess, but I'm happy. Then it was just a matter of not letting them jack it back up by adding in all the extra Simoniz, extended warranties, etc. It was my first time using TrueCar, so I don't know how typical it is, but it was a great first experience.

I just got one (AWD GT Black/Black) for $39,870 ($1,265 below invoice and $3k below MSRP) without any real negotiating just by requesting offers from TrueCar. From there, I got that offer from a dealer and jumped on it. I probably could have squeezed a little more I guess, but I'm happy. Then it was just a matter of not letting them jack it back up by adding in all the extra Simoniz, extended warranties, etc. It was my first time using TrueCar, so I don't know how typical it is, but it was a great first experience.
In my case I pay the extended warranty because was about 250 usd for 3 years.

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

In my case I pay the extended warranty because was about 250 usd for 3 years.

Wow, yeah for that I would have probably done it. The full package they tried to sell me was going to be around $5k over the next 5 years for some longer term coverage. At that price, I figure I'll just put that money toward trading a little sooner and hopefully not have to spend the time at the shop.

I'm located in Northern VA. Paid an even $40k for a blue GT, AWD. Plus tax, tags, dealer fee. Found another dealer in Md. who said they could beat that by ~$500, but I didn't follow up. Didn't want the hassle of dealing with a dealer in Md.

My wife and I just purchased a new CX-9 Signature in Machine Gray, so this is my first post. Purchase details:

MSRP: $45,215
Sales price: $42,583-$500 loyalty rebate=$42,083+TTL&fees

Happy with the deal and dealership; even happier with the car.

My wife and I just purchased a new CX-9 Signature in Machine Gray, so this is my first post. Purchase details:

MSRP: $45,215
Sales price: $42,583-$500 loyalty rebate=$42,083+TTL&fees

Happy with the deal and dealership; even happier with the car.
And your city is? Thanks in advance.

Thank you. I'm looking for a good deal for a Signature also in the Bay area.

I monitored the online inventories of regional dealers for over a month before we finally decided to buy the CX-9. They are not exactly flying off lots, though you'll probably hear the claim that this isn't so for the Signatures. I didn't notice that they sold any more quickly than lower trims; there are just fewer of them. Also, consider this: our salesman has been at this dealership for awhile, yet he confided to us that ours was the first 2016 CX-9 he had sold.

That said, if you really prefer the Signature interior, pay for it. We are very glad we did. It's beautiful!

Last edited:
This thread was incredibly helpful to me in navigating my recent purchase. We already had a 2014 Mazda 3s GT Hatch and A year ago we had an old Mazda CX-7 that was showing its age and was time to be replaced. None of the Mazda SUVs appealed to me at the time so we sprung for a new Volvo XC60. Well, long story short, the Volvo drove me crazy. I got to the point where I almost hated to get in and drive the dang thing. The whole car, infotainment, everything was glitchy and buggy as hell. It was not fun. I had been eyeing the new CX-9 for a while and finally, impulsively, I pulled the trigger yesterday. Seeing what people paid made me informed enough to walk away from the first dealer I talked to and got me a better deal elsewhere. I was able to get $37,913 +TTL for a new CX-9 Grand Touring. Hopefully this helps somebody else...

Thanks to all of you for helping us get a better deal! :)

This thread was incredibly helpful to me in navigating my recent purchase. We already had a 2014 Mazda 3s GT Hatch and A year ago we had an old Mazda CX-7 that was showing its age and was time to be replaced. None of the Mazda SUVs appealed to me at the time so we sprung for a new Volvo XC60. Well, long story short, the Volvo drove me crazy. I got to the point where I almost hated to get in and drive the dang thing. The whole car, infotainment, everything was glitchy and buggy as hell. It was not fun. I had been eyeing the new CX-9 for a while and finally, impulsively, I pulled the trigger yesterday. Seeing what people paid made me informed enough to walk away from the first dealer I talked to and got me a better deal elsewhere. I was able to get $37,913 +TTL for a new CX-9 Grand Touring. Hopefully this helps somebody else...

Great purchase! Congratulations. The cx9 is super good to drive. Lot of fun! How much you pay at the end including taxes and everything else?

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

I was able to get $37,913 +TTL for a new CX-9 Grand Touring. Hopefully this helps somebody else...

Is this an AWD?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Is this an AWD?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Sadly no, but I couldn't justify the extra premium for awd.

To the question of after tax, my numbers wouldn't reflect typical because of the trade on the Volvo so I paid about $1800 less tax. Tax is usually 6.25% here and total fees were around $300 I believe.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Just today, I was able to get MSRP down to $41,749 on a Machine Grey Signature. They threw in window tinting and door edge guard film. They gave me a pretty good deal in financing too, 0.9% for five years.

Just today, I was able to get MSRP down to $41,749 on a Machine Grey Signature. They threw in window tinting and door edge guard film. They gave me a pretty good deal in financing too, 0.9% for five years.

Well done. (2thumbs)

Enjoy!

40K out the door for a White GT with tan interior. Sticker was 43,200. This included $750.00 customer cash for VW owners.

Back