2016 CX-9 Pricing

Easiest way to buy a car is to stick to a plan and don't get caught up with individual salespeople. I really liked our local dealership and wanted to give them first crack at my business, but doing that cost me a bunch of extra effort and they still never gave me a firm price to compare.

If time is of the essence, figure out exactly which car/model/options you want and then send the same email to every dealer within 100 miles. Tell them that you're planning on buying a car next Saturday and will go to the dealer that gives you the best out-the-door price commitment. I bought my wife's Audi that way and, after she figured out what she wanted, it took a total of thirty minutes to email price requests and another thirty minutes in the sales manager's office to complete the paperwork.

After dicking around with our local Mazda dealership for a couple of weeks, I finally got hold of my senses and went back to the original plan. All the work up until the end was essentially wasted time.

My CX-9 had a retail price of $43,170

True Car average $42,065 Exceptional Price $40,610 Great Price $41,890 Good Price $42,803
Best TrueCar price quote was $40,455 after rebates (one of them it turned out I didn't qualify for), still not sure what other "fees" were not included.

Kelley Blue Book Fair Purchase Price $40,332 to $41,683, suggested $40,995

First phone call I made quoted $40,413 before rebates, out the door.
Ended up buying for $39,101 with no haggling, no upselling at the dealer. Doing this deal took way less than an hour email and phone, and about 20 minutes at the dealer to sign papers.

After talking to friends who have used Costco, I've come to the conclusion that sometimes they're good and sometimes not even close to good. They're just another quote to throw in the pile.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. I would definitely give that a shot next time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you go through Costco program? Does the dealer set that up or do I call Costco? I see that you can get 50% off on accessories if you buy through Costco program.

just go to the Costco Auto program website and enter the requested information. You have to have a Costco membership number. Costco will send you an email with the dealer contact information. The dealer will very likely also contact you. You probably can get a better deal then through Costco or True Car, etc. if you are a Trump like deal maker and don't mind the hassle of haggling. The 50% off parts and accessories coupon you get after completing a satisfaction survey. Up to $200 off for Executive Member.

Both Costco and True Car are merely opening bids, not great prices. And both of them use their services as a way to begin haggling while trying to convince you that the haggling has already been done for you.

Way simpler to just figure out exactly which car you want and email a bunch of dealerships and get their best firm non-nonsense, out-the-door price. Don't talk to salespeople!!! If you need to test drive a car, go to the dealership and tell them exactly what you're doing. They'll still be happy to let you drive a car. The faster you can weed out the dealers whose goal is to lock you up in their office and verbally waterboard you, the better. The straight shooters will understand what you're doing and will be happy to give you a price and the promise of a no-hassle transaction.

Friends of mine who are busy business people don't have an extra five minutes to shop for cars. They all seem to go with private auto brokers and have pretty good luck describing what kind of car they want and letting the broker seal the deal. If you're saving a couple thousand, no problem if the broker can make $500 for an hour of their time. I haven't ever used a car broker myself, but I imagine that the hardest part of the deal would be in finding someone you can trust.

Last edited:
I purchased a CX-9 GT FWD from Dick Shirley Mazda in NC. Dick Shirley traded another dealer for the CX-9, since they didn't have the color combo I wanted (Blue Mica, Black interior).

MSRP: 41,225.00
Sales price: 38,036.00
Tax: 1153.05
Tag: 93.00
Admin fee: 399.00
Out-the-door: 39,681.05

0% financing for 60 months, which knocked $500 off the sales price.

Dick Shirley had the best price up front, then came down a bit over the next couple weeks. Other dealers in the area wouldn't match. The prices I got from Edmunds and True Car weren't very good.

2016 CX-9 Grand Touring, AWD, Machine Gray, Sand
Retail $43,170
...Paid $39,836 total before tax and license, and before $735 rebate.

$39,836/$43,170 = .923 or 7.7% of MSRP before rebate

I purchased a CX-9 GT FWD ...
MSRP: 41,225.00
Sales price: 38,036.00
Admin fee: 399.00
0% financing for 60 months, which knocked $500 off the sales price.

Sales Price to MSRP 38036 + $399 + $500 = $38,935/$41,225 = .944, or 5.6% of MSRP before rebate

Am I doing the math right? I'm trying to give new shoppers something that's easy to figure. Based on these deals, it looks like a target might be 7.7% discount off MSRP on the GT AWD, or a 5.6% discount on the
GT FWD.

Thanks for the post. Speaking of prices we're looking a 2016/17 sig in about 1.5 months. I
Know deals will be better on 2016 but can't shake the feeling that I may have buyers remorse for not buying a 2017. Any Thoughts?

Thanks for the post. Speaking of prices we're looking a 2016/17 sig in about 1.5 months. I
Know deals will be better on 2016 but can't shake the feeling that I may have buyers remorse for not buying a 2017. Any Thoughts?

Kelley Blue Book says, "All-new last year, the 2017 Mazda CX-9 carries over with few changes. Among them, the Smart City Brake Support -- an automatic emergency braking system -- becomes standard on Touring trims." They show the price going up only a few hundred bucks.

If they were adding something like stop-and-go traffic adaptive cruise control, or overhead imaging, or pedestrian awareness, that might make me want to wait for the 2017. It sounds like the vehicle will be just about the same and the only difference will be the one year newer factor when you resell the car. (And the bargain factor, which wouldn't really impress anyone worth impressing.)

Judging by the number of 2016's on the lots, I go along with the theory that Mazda expected to sell a lot more of these than they did. (And it's such a great car that they really should have.) That could mean huge discounts on the 2016's for those who play their cards right. And, there are a bunch of 2016 CX-9's on AutoTrader with 6,000-12.000 miles. If you could pick up a Certified Pre-Owned for five or six thousand bucks less than the deal I got, that would get you an AWD GT for the price of the base model.

Thanks Koert. The CPO was apart of my strategy too. However with the 16 Sig being so new, there aren't as many to choose from. Also, in Jan 2017 (when I last researched CPO for the Sig), the prices weren't that compellingly different.

Many folks have posted (and I'm grateful for the info) to communicate with the dealer via email to get the best deal and least hassle. I do plan to use that strategy but you know that whole "should've, would've, could've" keeps making me think that even with the minuscule changes made between the 2 model years, it may still be best to press for a good deal on 17 Sig. Although, I anticipate dealers may not be as welling to flex on the price.

... even with the minuscule changes made between the 2 model years, it may still be best to press for a good deal on 17 Sig.

It would be hard to choose between the 2016 and 2017 without knowing what the difference in actual sales price might be. You could use the emails as a way to find the lowest price for a 2016, and then use the buying guides and research (like at this site) to figure the best possible price for a 2017.

Or, you could send out emails asking for the price of both (but that might influence dealers that have some interest in selling one or the other) or you could send out two separate emails (maybe even using a separate identity for each, and not emailing them simultaneously so that the dealers didn't know they were both from you).

Just to keep everything disciplined, before you get any prices, it would be best to decide how much extra you are willing to pay for a 2017. That's a personal decision but, it would be best to get past that hurdle as early as possible, just so you don't have second thoughts as you're sitting in the finance manager's office. Those second thoughts provide an opportunity for the dealership to take advantage of you at the last minute!

Did mine over phone and email. Always start you negotiation with invoice and how much you want to pay above that for dealer profit. Since the dealer profit is a set %, it comes down to how much Mazda will discount 16 vs 17. In Canada 16 1k rebate, 425 Navi rebate (since cx9 have Navi you can get back cash) and 1% finance. 17 was only 425 Navi rebate and 2% finance.

In my area, there isn't much 16 signature around so, it was no brainer for me to get the 17.

hi everyone. been lurking in the forum for a few weeks learning about the cx-9 before i made my purchase over the weekend. for those who are curious what 2017 are going for in san francisco bay area, i was able to purchase a new black 2017 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD for $38,900. The out the door price was pretty close to $42,800 after fees, etc.,

i was somewhat surprise that the 2017 were going for the price that I got it for because most of the dealership around my area quoted a similar 2016 model for about $38,500. i expected the price for a 2016 to be a lot lowered than the quotes that i got.

did all of my communication w/ the dealership over email.

... i was able to purchase a new black 2017 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD for $38,900. The out the door price was pretty close to $42,800 after fees, etc., ...

Congratulations, you're going to love the car!

Sounds like you got a great deal, but the information isn't useful to the next guy without knowing exactly what "fees" and other goodies were added on to the $38,900 price and whether a trade-in or rebates were involved. The dealers will go way out of their way to make it hard for us to compare apples to apples.

Here's the breakdown:

Selling price: $38,888.00
Doc Fee: $80
Sales Tax: $3409.70
Electronic Transfer: $29.00

Fees to gov't:
Vehicle License fee: $253
Registration Fee: $111
CA Tire Fee: 8.75

Out-the-door Total: $42,799.45

Cash Deal, no finance, no trade-in.

Here's the breakdown:
Cash Deal, no finance, no trade-in.

You really did get a great price! I was expecting to see some sort of $1,000 nonsense fee or a trade-in.

On Kelly Blue Book, it looks like the 2017's have significantly lower MSRP and Invoice prices than the 2016's. Does anyone know anything about that?

Not sure where you're looking, but MSRP for 2017 GT AWD CX-9 is $43,210. Similar model for 2016 is $42,870. Based on info on kbb.com

TrueCar is a farce organized by the car dealerships. Do some research on who's really behind the TrueCar program.

TrueCar dealers do set sale prices, but make no mistake, TrueCar is making out far more than the dealers are. Dealers end up fighting over non profitable transactions. Their fees are astronomical and they prey on dealers hoping for larger market share and they promise the world, but at a high cost. Take it from a former TrueCar dealer....I will never spend a dime with them ever again.

In any event, I have no opposition to consumers doing what they perceive as their due diligence to get the best deal the can. Dealers of today deserve the consequences of old practices. It is what it is and I'm on with it.

Just purchased a 2017 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD in Machine Gray Metallic with black interior. Wanted to share my pricing breakdown in case it's useful to other potential 2017 buyers:

MSRP: $43,510
Invoice: $41,194
Sale price (including $750 loyalty discount): $39,200
Sales tax (8.7%): $3476
Title/reg fee: $115
Vehicle license fee: $250
Total out-the-door price: $43,041

Used Mazda 1.9% APR promo financing. No trade-in.

So all-in-all I finished with a sale price $1994 under invoice and about 10% under MSRP. I ended up adding on a 9yr/100k Mazda Extended Care Total Protection warranty in the end. They initially wanted around $3000 for it, but they accepted my offer of $1853.

I did all of my negotiating over email with local dealerships over the course of about a week. I ditched a couple of them early on when they wouldn't give me a firm quote. The last couple of dealerships finally told me they couldn't match the offer.

Just purchased a 2017 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD in Machine Gray Metallic with black interior. ...

My 2016 is the same, except with Sand interior. You paid just about the same for the 2017 as I did a few months ago for a 2016 but your discount from the retail price is a few hundred bucks better than I got.

... Dealers of today deserve the consequences of old practices. It is what it is and I'm on with it.
I'm kind of relieved that there is little bargaining to be done when buying Apple hardware and I'd probably gravitate towards Tesla's model of fixed pricing. But then dealers wouldn't be able to make a killing on the poor buyer who hasn't done their research.

Back