Which tires for 2014 Touring model and from where?

agaurav

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Fwd Touring
My 2014 CX-5 Touring FWD has 31K miles on it and needs a new set of tires. Obviously, I am not happy that I didn't get 40K miles but that is OK. I don't drive a lot. I have had the car for 40 months now.

So what would you advise I get for my car? I am looking for decent tires that will work in city driving - mostly street and some highway for sure. But no off-roading and and about 9-10K miles per year. I live in Northern California. Also, where should I buy the tires and where should I get them installed if I am not buying there itself.

Anything else that I should keep in mind? I am quite a newbie...

Thanks in advance.

My 2014 CX-5 Touring FWD has 31K miles on it and needs a new set of tires. Obviously, I am not happy that I didn't get 40K miles but that is OK. I don't drive a lot. I have had the car for 40 months now.

So what would you advise I get for my car? I am looking for decent tires that will work in city driving - mostly street and some highway for sure. But no off-roading and and about 9-10K miles per year. I live in Northern California. Also, where should I buy the tires and where should I get them installed if I am not buying there itself.

Anything else that I should keep in mind? I am quite a newbie...

Thanks in advance.

Why are you upset that you did not get 40k miles? Did someone tell you they were supposed to last 40k?(friday)

COSTCO if you have a membership card, or the Tire Rack website, are a few good online places to start...

Sounds like you want an All Season Tire, for a crossover, that is 102H rated, and On-Road: Here is a link for the tire rack and a 2014 cx-5 FWD
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=2014&autoModel=CX-5&autoModClar=Touring+FWD&width=225%2F&ratio=65&diameter=17&sortCode=49752&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S

The current offerings from Bridgestone, Michelin, and Pirelli would be on my list of top 3 recommendations.

Tires are all about compromise...You really only have to decide what 2 factors are the most important to you... Price, Longevity, Noise, Comfort, Performance, Warranty...

Last edited:
Why are you upset that you did not get 40k miles? Did someone tell you they were supposed to last 40k?(friday)

COSTCO if you have a membership card, or the Tire Rack website, are a few good online places to start...

Sounds like you want an All Season Tire, for a crossover, that is 102H rated, and On-Road: Here is a link for the tire rack and a 2014 cx-5 FWD
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=2014&autoModel=CX-5&autoModClar=Touring+FWD&width=225%2F&ratio=65&diameter=17&sortCode=49752&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S

The current offerings from Bridgestone, Michelin, and Pirelli would be on my list of top 3 recommendations.

Tires are all about compromise...You really only have to decide what 2 factors are the most important to you... Price, Longevity, Noise, Comfort, Performance, Warranty...

Awesome. Thanks for the pointers. I do have Costco membership. Do I need the "H" rating or a lower speed rating of T be enough? Just want to understand as Costco website has many more tires at the lower rating and only two at the 102H rating.

I am not upset :). I am just not happy anytime I have to spend more than a few hundred dollars for anything even for fully justified expenses. I will get over it.

Awesome. Thanks for the pointers. I do have Costco membership. Do I need the "H" rating or a lower speed rating of T be enough? Just want to understand as Costco website has many more tires at the lower rating and only two at the 102H rating.

I am not upset :). I am just not happy anytime I have to spend more than a few hundred dollars for anything even for fully justified expenses. I will get over it.

I understand the feelings about the expense, it is a nice chunk of change $ that you would most certainly like to throw towards something else. But the tires are such an important component of the car, I personally would never recommend going the cheap route here.

Both sets of the G91A's I have had on my CX-5's have lasted ~30k, and I think you will find that 25-35k is the average treadlife I have seen here when posted by others.

Typically, you will have a hard time getting a tire installer that will put a lower than original spec speed rating on a car. The "T" is lower speed rating (118mph) than the "H" (130mph) that the vehicle came equipped from the factory.

Here is a link to the specifications for the OE installed Yokohama Geolandar G91A tire for comparison.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+G91A&partnum=265HR7GEOHTV3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=2014&autoModel=CX-5&autoModClar=Touring%20FWD

Last edited:
Last edited:
Usually, I buy my tires at discounttiredirect. It shows up at your door for free and there is no tax either. There are discounts now, for 4th of July.

The OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires on CX-5 Touring are rated only at 280 B A on UTQG which means you should be happy if you could get 28,000 miles out of them according to the UTQG treadwear index.

Here is another list from TireRack.com for 225/65R17 102H or 102T tires with proper tire category filter and sorted in consumers' rating so that it's easier for you to choose.

I highly recommend General AltiMax RT43 tire which is top rated grand touring all-season tire for this size by TireRack consumers. The price is much lower than others with good rating and recommended by many such as Continental TrueContact tire.

General AltiMax RT43 is a H rated grand touring all-season tire which has 700 A A UTQG, 51 psi maximum inflation pressure, and weighted 25 lbs. The price tag is $104.76 each at TireRack.

Continental TrueContact is a T rated standard touring all-season tire which has 800 A B UTQG, 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and weighted 28 lbs. The price tag is $113.45 each at TireRack.

Gereral AltiMax RT43 is a superior tire according to the spec with lower price, and I have them on my Honda CR-V and feel they're the best tires I've ever had for the CR-V.

Although I'm a Costco member, but I always use Discount Tire next to Costco for my tire need. Discount Tire will always match the price from Costco, and has better tire mounting equipment. They can also special order any tires I want whereas Costco carries only limited brands.

Keep in mind that if you ever choose a 17" tire with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure, you need to put 2~5 psi more cold tire pressure than factory specified 34 psi as the OEM 17" tire has 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. The maximum load is close related to the maximum inflation pressure, and you have to adjust the tire pressure for the same load capability and even wear with different specs on maximum inflation pressure.

The OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires on CX-5 Touring are rated only at 280 B A on UTQG which means you should be happy if you could get 28,000 miles out of them according to the UTQG treadwear index.

Here is another list from TireRack.com for 225/65R17 102H or 102T tires with proper tire category filter and sorted in consumers' rating so that it's easier for you to choose.

I highly recommend General AltiMax RT43 tire which is top rated grand touring all-season tire for this size by TireRack consumers. The price is much lower than others with good rating and recommended by many such as Continental TrueContact tire.

General AltiMax RT43 is a H rated grand touring all-season tire which has 700 A A UTQG, 51 psi maximum inflation pressure, and weighted 25 lbs. The price tag is $104.76 each at TireRack.

Continental TrueContact is a T rated standard touring all-season tire which has 800 A B UTQG, 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and weighted 28 lbs. The price tag is $113.45 each at TireRack.

Gereral AltiMax RT43 is a superior tire according to the spec with lower price, and I have them on my Honda CR-V and feel they're the best tires I've ever had for the CR-V.

Although I'm a Costco member, but I always use Discount Tire next to Costco for my tire need. Discount Tire will always match the price from Costco, and has better tire mounting equipment. They can also special order any tires I want whereas Costco carries only limited brands.

Keep in mind that if you ever choose a 17" tire with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure, you need to put 2~5 psi more cold tire pressure than factory specified 34 psi as the OEM 17" tire has 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. The maximum load is close related to the maximum inflation pressure, and you have to adjust the tire pressure for the same load capability and even wear with different specs on maximum inflation pressure
WOW! This is news to me. Can you cite a source for this information?

WOW! This is news to me. Can you cite a source for this information?
General AltiMax RT43 225/65R17 102H tire has maximum load of 1,874 lbs. @ 51 psi maximum inflation pressure

OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tire has maximum load of 1,764 lbs. @ 44 psi maximum inflation pressure

Factory tire pressure spec on 17" CX-5 Touring is 34 psi.

Total curb weight on 2016 CX-5 Touring is 3,433 lbs. (FWD) ~ 3,589 lbs. (AWD).

Remember while a tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry, its load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used.

Mazda calculated 34 psi is the optimal for tire wear and performance with 44 psi maximum inflation pressure OEM tires to have at least approximately 875+ lbs. of load to each tire depending on how many passengers and how much load.

When you switched to 51 psi maximum inflation pressure 17" tires, the same 34 psi tire pressure would not be able to carry the same 875+ lbs. of load and still be having the optimal tread wear and performance. In fact, it'd be rated carrying less load and you need more air pressure to bring up the load capacity to have the same optimal tread wear and performance.

Tires with the same load index will carry the same maximum load but sometimes at different maximum inflation pressures. Hence tires at the same 34 psi would carry different load capacity among those tires with different maximum inflation pressures. On Cx-5 Touring, you do need to put in more air pressure in order to bring up the load capacity on 51 psi mip tires as the factory tire pressure spec is based on 44 psi mip tires. By how much? It's difficult to tell especially OEM 17" tire has an odd load index for the size. But 2~5 psi is my best guess.

General AltiMax RT43 225/65R17 102H tire has maximum load of 1,874 lbs. @ 51 psi maximum inflation pressure

OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tire has maximum load of 1,764 lbs. @ 44 psi maximum inflation pressure

Factory tire pressure spec on 17" CX-5 Touring is 34 psi.

Total curb weight on 2016 CX-5 Touring is 3,433 lbs. (FWD) ~ 3,589 lbs. (AWD).

Remember while a tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry, its load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used.

Mazda calculated 34 psi is the optimal for tire wear and performance with 44 psi maximum inflation pressure OEM tires to have at least approximately 875+ lbs. of load to each tire depending on how many passengers and how much load.

When you switched to 51 psi maximum inflation pressure 17" tires, the same 34 psi tire pressure would not be able to carry the same 875+ lbs. of load and still be having the optimal tread wear and performance. In fact, it'd be rated carrying less load and you need more air pressure to bring up the load capacity to have the same optimal tread wear and performance.

Tires with the same load index will carry the same maximum load but sometimes at different maximum inflation pressures. Hence tires at the same 34 psi would carry different load capacity among those tires with different maximum inflation pressures. On Cx-5 Touring, you do need to put in more air pressure in order to bring up the load capacity on 51 psi mip tires as the factory tire pressure spec is based on 44 psi mip tires. By how much? It's difficult to tell especially OEM 17" tire has an odd load index for the size. But 2~5 psi is my best guess.
I've never heard of anyone crunching these numbers in this manner before, but I'm willing to admit it could be something that got by me in 50+ years of car craziness. I will say though that you had me all the way to "By how much? It's difficult to tell especially OEM 17" tire has an odd load index for the size. But 2~5 psi is my best guess." I mean really, what's the point of worrying about any of this if you can't come up with a good approximation of tire pressure adjusted for max load rating difference?

Thanks for all the suggestions and discussion. My options are as follows:

Continental Truecontact
Yokohama Avid Ascend
General AltiMax RT43

I first need to find a place that will install the tires without creating a fuss that I am not buying the tires from them. I have never done this but am just speculating that the service centers prefer that I buy the tire from them as well.

I will call America's Tire and couple more places tomorrow morning and then buy one of the above from TireRack or DiscountTireDirect if I get some store that will install for me.

I've never heard of anyone crunching these numbers in this manner before, but I'm willing to admit it could be something that got by me in 50+ years of car craziness. I will say though that you had me all the way to "By how much? It's difficult to tell especially OEM 17" tire has an odd load index for the size. But 2~5 psi is my best guess." I mean really, what's the point of worrying about any of this if you can't come up with a good approximation of tire pressure adjusted for max load rating difference?
My point is simply that you need more air pressure than factory specified 34 psi if you're getting 17" tires with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure based on the fact that tire's load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used. There's no specific number but there is a table in TireRack that shows different load capacity with different tire pressure on P235/75R15 tires. How much air you want to have for your tires is not that specific and people are making adjustment all the time. I myself use 39 psi on my GT although the factory spec is 36 psi. I've to use 36 psi to get even wear and better performance for General AltiMax RT43 tires with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure on my '98 Honda CR-V when factory spec calls 26 psi. The reason is the OEM tire on CR-V at time has maximum inflation pressure at only 35 psi. When tire technology improves with higher maximum inflation pressure for fuel efficiency, the optimal tire pressure has to make some adjustment too based on recommended tire pressure by manufacture .

Another example is if you're getting Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 225/55R19 99H tire with 44 psi maximum inflation pressure for your CX-5 GT, you should consider somewhat less than 36 psi as the recommended tire pressure, as OEM Toyo A23 has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure.

agaurave: TireRack will advise you as to what tire installers are on the preferred list in your area. Ed

agaurave: TireRack will advise you as to what tire installers are on the preferred list in your area. Ed

If you take your tires you bought online, and paid to have shipped, and then take to a tire shop, and then pay to have them installed, and your old tires disposed of. So just do the math and be sure it is a better deal than buying some from a local tire shop like Costco, America's Tire, Les Schwab, etc.. after you factor in Tax, Shipping, installation, disposal. Don't forget about dealing with a bad tire or road hazard after the purchase, how easy will that be?

Going rate here for a tire to be un mounted, disposed of, new tire mounted, new valve stem, and ROAD FORCE BALANCED, is about $20-$25 each.

Last edited:
My point is simply that you need more air pressure than factory specified 34 psi if you're getting 17" tires with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure based on the fact that tire's load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used. There's no specific number but there is a table in TireRack that shows different load capacity with different tire pressure on P235/75R15 tires. How much air you want to have for your tires is not that specific and people are making adjustment all the time. I myself use 39 psi on my GT although the factory spec is 36 psi. I've to use 36 psi to get even wear and better performance for General AltiMax RT43 tires with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure on my '98 Honda CR-V when factory spec calls 26 psi. The reason is the OEM tire on CR-V at time has maximum inflation pressure at only 35 psi. When tire technology improves with higher maximum inflation pressure for fuel efficiency, the optimal tire pressure has to make some adjustment too based on recommended tire pressure by manufacture .

Another example is if you're getting Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 225/55R19 99H tire with 44 psi maximum inflation pressure for your CX-5 GT, you should consider somewhat less than 36 psi as the recommended tire pressure, as OEM Toyo A23 has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure.

After studying the Tire Rack Tech Info that you linked above, I have a totally different take on the subject of maximum load.

I read that a Standard Load P-metric tire maximum load is established at 35 psi and a SL Euro-metric tire maximum load is established at 36 psi. On a standard load tire, increasing beyond this pressure will not increase its load rating.

At the bottom of the page is a note that is especially important:

Note: P-metric and Euro-metric sized tires' "maximum load" inflation pressure may be, and often are, different that the tire's "maximum inflation pressure."

There is more on this subject in this Tire Rack Tech Info

A tire's "maximum inflation pressure" may be different than the assigned tire pressure used to rate the tire's "maximum load." For example, while a P-metric sized standard load tire's maximum load is rated at 35 psi, many P-metric sized standard load performance and touring tires are designed to contain up to 44 psi (and are branded on their sidewalls accordingly). This additional range of inflation pressure (in this case, between 36 and 44 psi) has been provided to accommodate any unique handling, high speed and/or rolling resistance requirements determined by the tire and vehicle manufacturers. These unique tire pressures will be identified on the vehicle placard or the vehicle's owner's manual.

In your Pirelli example above, since both tires have a 99 load index, both can carry 1709 lbs at 36 psi. The fact that they have different "maximum inflation pressures" does not matter with regards to "maximum load".

After studying the Tire Rack Tech Info that you linked above, I have a totally different take on the subject of maximum load.

I read that a Standard Load P-metric tire maximum load is established at 35 psi and a SL Euro-metric tire maximum load is established at 36 psi. On a standard load tire, increasing beyond this pressure will not increase its load rating.

At the bottom of the page is a note that is especially important:

There is more on this subject in this Tire Rack Tech Info

In your Pirelli example above, since both tires have a 99 load index, both can carry 1709 lbs at 36 psi. The fact that they have different "maximum inflation pressures" does not matter with regards to "maximum load".
If your read the maximum load information on the sidewall, it'd always say something like "Maximum Load 1,874 lbs @ 51 psi Maximum Inflation Pressure". This is exactly what it said on General AltiMax RT43 225/65R17 102H tire. On the other hand, the sidewall of Continental TrueContact 225/65R17 102T tire would say "Maximum Load 1,874 lbs @ 44 psi Maximum Inflation Pressure". You have to trust these information on the sidewall, and they are the specs for each tire. Again from TireRack:

"Additionally, while a tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry, its load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used. For example, P235/75R15 P-metric sized, standard load (SL) and extra load (XL) tires used on cars would be rated to carry the following loads at the inflation pressures indicated:"
Air Pressure (psi)2023262932353841
P235/75R15 SL154316351753185219402028
P235/75R15 XL15431635175318521940202821052183
information
Those maximum load at preset 35 psi for P-metric and 36 psi for SL Euro-metric are ancient tire standards. When tire companies started to come out tires with higher maximum inflation pressure than 35 psi or 36 psi for efficiency, they started to have both maximum load and maximum inflation pressure specs together as in fact they are totally related. Those comments you quoted are only for old P-metric and SL Euro-metric tires which have preset and fixed maximum inflation pressure for the standards, and are no longer applicable for newer generation of high-pressure、high-efficiency tires.

Continental Truecontact http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=2013&autoModel=CX-5&autoModClar=Touring FWD I am not worried about finding an installer on TireRack's list to put them on.

TireRack has a section on their web page to let you know who will install and for a guaranteed price. You can option to have your tires delivered to one of those installers. What I like about the tires I have purchased from TireRack is the freshness of manufacture. So many tires advertised for discount are often tires that sat in a warehouse deteriorating. You can research how to read the date of manufacture stamped on the inside installation side of all tires.

Thanks fvansan. That's a great input. I will keep that in mind when I order them this weekend or next.

Back