Decapping OEM fuel injectors

jwforeman

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
So me and my cheap self decided to try and decap an extra set of OEM fuel injectors (look up decapping from a Subie forum if you're not familiar).

Seeing I'm shooting for north of 250HP, and the needed injectors for that power can be calculated as:

injector size in lbs./hr. = (Max. HP x BSFC) / (number of injectors x duty cycle)

BSFC = 0.55-0.65 (forced induction)
HP = 250HP
# of injectors = 4
max duty cycle = .80 (80%)

so we have:

injector size in lbs./hr. = (250 x .65) / (4 x .8)
= 50.78 lbs/hr
and that in cc is:
50.78lbs/hr = 533.2 cc/min

our OEM is rated at 280cc/min and given the fact that WRX owners can modify their injectors by "decapping" they achieve 850ish cc from the 440cc, so assuming you can essentially double, our 280cc would become 560ish cc, which is perfect. Or so I thought.

Fuel injector caps are a restrictor and help change the spray pattern, but it looks like our OEM injectors in fact don't have such caps. The "cap" is actually the entire piece and once removed you can dissemble the whole fuel injector. try and clean that out of a cylinder head... yea no thanks.

Here's my experience decapping these injectors.

Attachments

• IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_1733.JPG
    IMG_1733.JPG
    400.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1734.JPG
    IMG_1734.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_1735.JPG
    IMG_1735.JPG
    526.3 KB · Views: 280
Was worth a shot. If this was possible, I'm pretty sure the WRX 440cc injector wouldnt be such a popular mod when desiring more fuel

Yup makes sense after the fact, now does anyone have a set of WRX 440s or STi 565s up for grabs?

cool, I was actually thinking about if this was an option yesterday lol. thanks for finding out!

check ebay and nasioc, you can usually pick up a set of blue wrx 440s for under $100. IIRC RX7 injectors are another good option as well.

To add to this, if I am swapping an Fs-ze from japan, should I use my stock fs-de ones or go bigger?? its an NA swap for now but want the most out of it

a FS-ZE an FS-DE share almost everything, with the exception of the higher compression ratio and I believe a different cam. I think stock injectors should fine in this situation. I do remember reading somewhere to make the most out of the ZE you would need the ECU from it too which is a whole other monster to take on seeing its a OBDI system.

Back