Coolant replacement issue

zooma

:
2010 Mazda 3s Hatchback
Car:2010 Mazda 3, 2.5L engine
Coolant: FL22 pre-mixed
After flushing the system, the shop manual says to "Let the system drain completely."
The coolant added is less than the specified capacity and I would assume the balance
is the distilled water left over from the flush (which is now diluting the coolant).
How does the dealer handle this issue with premixed coolant and a system which doesn't drain completely?
So much easier with concentrate in that you add half the capacity and finish it off with water.

Thanks concept for the chart. About 5 of the 7.9 quarts drained and with the FL22 at 55/45 I estimate the new ratio at about 35/65. Not good. Seems like there must be a way of completely draining the system that is not being mentioned because only selling a 55/45 solution would be useless for replacement.
Without a relatively easy method to drain the coolant it appears the only solution is to get a non-diluted mix such as Motorcraft VC-10-A2.

Most dealers have a pressurized vacuum that forces the old coolant out and adds new coolant, we have one at my shop, we run the car so the thermostat opens up and extract the coolant through the overflow with a vacuum while adding new coolant to the radiator. I ran into the same issue with my protg 5, I ended up just draining it twice to compensate, drain it after the distilled water, add ur coolant, run the car for 15min, drain it again and add more coolant, should even out ur mix

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

...kinda like a pressurized brake fluid bleeder - same concept, it seems, only without vacuum extraction at the bleeder fittings.

Thanks jaysurp and concept. That makes sense. In my opinion the shop manual is just wrong in that following the instructions as stated with the "parts" mazda provides can not get one results within specification. Fortunately my local Ford dealer has the concentrated antifreeze in stock and for less than Amazon. What a waste of time, money, and resources.

Back