Grinding shifts, heavy shifting and Clutch issues

Targaryen420

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hello, im back again to see if any of you Wonderful P5 owners out there can help me out with this issue.

My Gearbox is acting tacky. I will have to pump the clutch to put my car into first gear, normally after long drives (25 miles or more) or hot humid days. then it would hear a bunch of noise coming from my gearbox.
I would also have to shift from second to first, after pumping my clutch. A mechanic at a Midus noted my breakline leak and fixed it for me for nothing.I have topped off my Resourvoir with Dot 3 and nothing seems to fix it.
During this time, i would need to bearly lift the clutch and apply gas or it to really catch and go. Does this mean my clutch is going?

Any solutions?
How much would it be to fix this?

Not necessarily the clutch, it could just be the throw out bearing. I had mine go out on my honda and it didn't want to get into gear, and it would catch immediately after putting into first and trying to go.
You would need to take the transmission off regardless so a new clutch wouldn't hurt either, might as well since your already there.
Also check your shift linkage and stabilizer, might be loose worn out bushings and it's having trouble getting into gear. That's what happened to me, but I continued to drive mine and the stabilizer bar broke. Put a new one in and no issues.

If all you did was top up the reservoir after tgw leak, I'd recommend bleeding the clutch slave cylinder. And change your Trans fluid if you haven't already. Check the motor mounts too.

Motor mounts are bad i know that for a fact. and i guess i could change the trans fluid...

edit. how much would a new clutch and labor run me? how much has it for you?

Last edited:
You know what, last time i bleed my brake fluid, my shifting felt flawless. I will have to work on it some time soon.

I remember a couple of other guys had the same problem... Only had to double clutch when it was hot.

It turned out to be the clutch and/ or the slave cylinders.

Apparently the aftermarket cylinders are crap and don't last. OEM is best.

(Start with bleeding the clutch as mentioned... It made a huge difference for me too...)

If you KNOW you have bad motor mounts, replace those first. Especially the upper one on the pass side... The engine literally being 1/4" off can completely throw off the shift linkages and cause grinding, hard shifts, etc. The heat/humidity may just be a coincidence, maybe not. But i would recommend starting with what you know for fact to be bad before potentially chasing your tail trying to track down problems that may not even be a problem.

I used to have the same problem, all the same symptoms. I tried new motor mounts (all of them), new master and slave cylinders, Flushed the fluid twice, poly shifter bushings, exhaust wrap on the section under the shifter, bought a new clutch (but never got around to installing it, it never slipped). Nothing worked, had the issue for 9 years. Finally fixed it by getting rid of the car! lol

Back