Soul Red 2016 Mazda 3

meldxb

:
Mazda CX5 GS
Hi
Im getting a soul red Mazda 3 soon so just wanted advice on how to keep the paint protected. The dealer is offering a lifetime guarantee on the Symtech Paint protection application. I could not find any information on the application process and how it differs over regular wax treatment that i could do at home. Should I go for the $599 dealer extra?
Thanks

This is another dealership high profit margin "extra" that they use to make up for the great deal you make on the purchase price. The sun and its ultraviolet rays is the biggest "killer" of paint, especially reds and dark colors. I do 2 things to protect my (dark) paint:
1. Use 3D waterless car wash (20 minute wash and protect) every weekend and
2. Cover the car if it is to sit outside for more than an hour or two.

Number 2 requires that the car is clean. I also use a California duster to remove the very light dusting I see after the drive home or after the car has been sitting in the garage for a few days.

I used to have a Magnetic Red Corvette and after 13 years, its paint (except for some rock-chipped surfaces) still looked like it was new.

A good wax and sealant goes a long way. Obviously keeping it covered/garaged makes a huge difference too

A good wax and sealant goes a long way. Obviously keeping it covered/garaged makes a huge difference too

+1
A good wax applied regularly is way better than a paint sealant in my experience.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

BTW congrats on the soul red 3! Got mine a year and half ago and still love it!!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1467385558730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1467385558730.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,886
Keeping it out of the sun as much as possible is good advice. But, also keeping it out from under trees and such as well. In the meantime, auto paint care products have advanced tremendiously, even in recent years. Might I suggest Autogeek web forums. You can get in over your head pretty quickly there, but that place is resourceful for basic care and maintenance. Happy motoring.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Buffing isn't a good idea, especially if you're using a polish. Since it removes a small layer of paint every time, it's not the best to do regularly. If you wash it with proper technique, and keep a good wax/sealant on it, you shouldn't have to polish it more than once every couple of years.

Also, definitely going to second AutoGeek, they're a great resource.

Last edited:
Back